Player Discussion Max Domi - Overdue Hot Streak

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
just reading your post makes me realize we need to trade Tatar even more. Can you imagine if we can get a suzuki type prospect for him? Not unrealistic. Considering Tatar was a throw in on a trade we got Suzuki would be an amazing cycle of obtaining talent.

True but there's a difference between can and will. We can get a Suzuki like prospect, but it doesn't mean we will. Same with a 1st round pick we could get in a trade - we could get a Suzuki like prospect or we could get a Louis Leblanc.\

But we should definitely move Tatar if Timmins/MB have a read on a prospect like they had on Suzuki - unless they just got lucky with Suzuki.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
It should have made you realize that we need a strong winger far more than we need another "playmaker". It actually speaks to the build problems that keep being brought up.
When you're as bad as we are you obtain talent. You then parlay that talent into a team dynamic through trades. You're doing it from a position of strength.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
True but there's a difference between can and will. We can get a Suzuki like prospect, but it doesn't mean we will. Same with a 1st round pick we could get in a trade - we could get a Suzuki like prospect or we could get a Louis Leblanc.\

But we should definitely move Tatar if Timmins/MB have a read on a prospect like they had on Suzuki - unless they just got lucky with Suzuki.
The risk is real for trading a productive player like Tatar. But you're doing so because of his status /contract situation. You only hope what you receive is better or on par. but cheaper and younger.

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
He just doesn’t have that fire in his eyes like he did last year. I think Claude julien told him to calm down

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Honestly Im not even sure its about money, Id be upset even if there was no money in it, it an incredible lack of respect from the organisation. Though its nothing new with Bergevin.

Its crazy how people who bashed the trade in the first place assume they know everything.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I think we neutered him. He was a crazy emotional player for us last year which is a good thing, now he has no fire in his game. Last year he would have attacked Marchand for his spearing. Heck even the beginning of this year he had emotion. Remember when he lost his shit at Pietrangelo after he got elbowed? That was an awesome thing to see, hes done nothing like that since. An emotional Domi is the best Domi.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I'm quite sure that NHL's parity makes it profoundly difficult to make the playoffs with healthy players all season, unlike the Habs injury plagued year. Which despite having many quality depth players, prospects need to acquire experience at the AHL level and getting the proper development at their ages. (Jake Evans has had 4 yrs. in college and quality experience in Laval, playing very well in his first tour of the NHL, IMHO!!!...) Finally getting Byron & Drouin back from the injury brigade, will show huge benefits once they get up too full speed like our veterans that haven't missed time this season. Domi & Drouin have a chemistry that is formidable at the NHL level only time will see them lighting up goalies again, they are a treat too watch playing for my team at 24 yrs of age mere youngsters with their best years ahead of them. The future is going to require sunglasses too watch these guys perform!!!...:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:

Last edited:

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
Domi needs to go back to wing so he can focus on the offense... we have so many centers next year.

Daneault
Suzuki
Phoeling
KK
Evans

Thompson will be gone along with Weal and Cousins....thank God.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
I think we neutered him. He was a crazy emotional player for us last year which is a good thing, now he has no fire in his game. Last year he would have attacked Marchand for his spearing. Heck even the beginning of this year he had emotion. Remember when he lost his **** at Pietrangelo after he got elbowed? That was an awesome thing to see, hes done nothing like that since. An emotional Domi is the best Domi.

100%. I don’t know if it’s from being directed to tone it down or if it is on his own accord, but definitely a big reason for his down season.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
180 out from last year's player...hard to fathom how bad he became overnight

I didn't see the whole game, and no doubt he's not close to how he was last year. But I saw him set up a goal on a silver platter for Kovalchuk, only to have kovy hit the post. This has been happening all year with his wingers.

Last edited:

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Ok. So is he going to be traded in the offseason for a guy like Brodin, or is he a necessary insurance policy in case Kotkaniemi needs more time in Laval? Do we sign a guy who can fill either #3C or #4C spot, depending on Kotkaniemi's/Evans' readiness (Derek Grant?), move Domi and go with bottom six C's looking like that:

#3C New guy/Kotkaniemi (if ready)
#4C Evans/New guy (if Kotkaniemi's ready. Evans moves to wing then)

Regardless of how pissed off people are with Bergevin, I really don't think he's gonna go into next season with all three of Tatar, Domi and Drouin.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ok. So is he going to be traded in the offseason for a guy like Brodin, or is he a necessary insurance policy in case Kotkaniemi needs more time in Laval? Do we sign a guy who can fill either #3C or #4C spot, depending on Kotkaniemi's/Evans' readiness (Derek Grant?), move Domi and go with bottom six C's looking like that:

#3C New guy/Kotkaniemi (if ready)
#4C Evans/New guy (if Kotkaniemi's ready. Evans moves to wing then)

Regardless of how pissed off people are with Bergevin, I really don't think he's gonna go into next season with all three of Tatar, Domi and Drouin.

Domi to the Avs for Girard+ is what I would do and my + from the Avs is Newhook. We can add on our side... 2nd, 3rd, Hillis type pieces. If they don't bite, move on. Avs are deep at LD and I think they would consider that depending on what contract they get get Domi signed for

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
I think we neutered him. He was a crazy emotional player for us last year which is a good thing, now he has no fire in his game. Last year he would have attacked Marchand for his spearing. Heck even the beginning of this year he had emotion. Remember when he lost his shit at Pietrangelo after he got elbowed? That was an awesome thing to see, hes done nothing like that since. An emotional Domi is the best Domi.

Great point, and I agree.

Listen to Treleving talking about Tkachuk when he crosses the line and does something stupid / emotional. He goes to great lengths to defend Matthew saying that this is what makes him a better player, playing on that line, playing with passion and fire and the organization has to accept that sometimes he's going to go over that line. This is who he is, and its what makes him the player he is.

I heard this more than once and was like wow, talk about support and putting a player into the position to succeed.

In Montreal, Tkachuk would be benched, told privately he's selfish and would be publicly condescended on how they want to make him "a better person".

Neutered is probably the most appropriate word to use in this scenario.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kreider contract could be a bench mark for Domi's next contract? Differences being Kreider is older and Domi has 2 RFA years left

- 7 years at $6.5M?
- 6 years at $6.25M?
- 5 years at $6M?

Previously had the 6 year AAV at $7.25M - $7.5M range but hoping for something closer to $6M AAV but more than 4 years in term

Reactions: habergeon

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
Kreider contract could be a bench mark for Domi's next contract? Differences being Kreider is older and Domi has 2 RFA years left

- 7 years at $6.5M?
- 6 years at $6.25M?
- 5 years at $6M?

Previously had the 6 year AAV at $7.25M - $7.5M range but hoping for something closer to $6M AAV but more than 4 years in term

I am going to get flamed for this, but I think he's going to get something closer to what Pageau just got. (6 x 5 mil)

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Domi to the Avs for Girard+ is what I would do and my + from the Avs is Newhook. We can add on our side... 2nd, 3rd, Hillis type pieces. If they don't bite, move on. Avs are deep at LD and I think they would consider that depending on what contract they get get Domi signed for
I think you are vastly over rating Domi's trade value. Also, I don't see why the Avs necessarily need Domi and why would they move Girard, considering the role he's playing on that team. Contending teams with loads of cap space and deep prospect pools don't usually trade key roster players. They have the means to improve other way.
From our point of view, I'm not sure Girard is the player we're missing. We don't have problems moving the puck up ice and our blueline scores a lot. What we need is defensive stability.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think you are vastly over rating Domi's trade value. Also, I don't see why the Avs necessarily need Domi and why would they move Girard, considering the role he's playing on that team. Contending teams with loads of cap space and deep prospect pools don't usually trade key roster players. They have the means to improve other way.
From our point of view, I'm not sure Girard is the player we're missing. We don't have problems moving the puck up ice and our blueline scores a lot. What we need is defensive stability.

I don't believe so. Domi is a legit top 6F who can play either wing or center and he's just touching prime years.

Domi > Girard
Newhook > Mete, Hillis, 2nd, 3rd
* Offsets in each case cancel each other.

I think the value is close but not sure if Sakic bites. I do believe the Avs need to add offense behind that top line and need someone to play with Kadri. My strategy is to get Newhook to be honest and Girard is the proven NHL piece we can play with Weber while Romanov and others develop.

Probably won't work but that's the type of deal I would be after. Someone to play with Weber and a Grade A for Domi+

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I don't believe so. Domi is a legit top 6F who can play either wing or center and he's just touching prime years.

Domi > Girard
Newhook > Mete, Hillis, 2nd, 3rd
* Offsets in each case cancel each other.

I think the value is close but not sure if Sakic bites. I do believe the Avs need to add offense behind that top line and need someone to play with Kadri. My strategy is to get Newhook to be honest and Girard is the proven NHL piece we can play with Weber while Romanov and others develop.

Probably won't work but that's the type of deal I would be after. Someone to play with Weber and a Grade A for Domi+
I can tell you right now that it wouldn't work. Domi's better than Girard based on what? What use do the Avs have for Mete? You just said their left side was deep and they would look into moving someone. Why bring Mete? Hillis and picks? What's the point trading Newhook for quantity. The Avs do a good job drafting their own prospects. They certainly don't need ours.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I can tell you right now that it wouldn't work. Domi's better than Girard based on what? What use do the Avs have for Mete? You just said their left side was deep and they would look into moving someone. Why bring Mete? Hillis and picks? What's the point trading Newhook for quantity. The Avs do a good job drafting their own prospects. They certainly don't need ours.

Girard is a young Ghost. Great puck mover but needs to be sheltered in his own end. Domi can play center or wing and I believe he gets paid more than Girard.

Avs are deep at LD and I do believe Girard can be moved for improvements up front. I think Sakic wants his D built to be more big and mobile and he can spare Girard. Point of moving Newhook? I know he don't want to but Girard does not get Domi. Just like Ghost don't return Drouin

I don't care if you think I think this is some dream land. It's an idea and if they say no, they say no.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Maybe it's just me but Domi seems more selfish lately. Kinda like time is running out to "earn" all he can on that next contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad