Value of: Max Domi - Mega Thread Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Couldn’t a Jet player, who is friends with Domi, just ask Max directly about playing in Winnipeg? No offer sheet, and work out a fair trade. I think Max would love playing in Winnipeg. He’s a passionate player, and that’s a rabid fan base. I’m sure he loves playing in Montreal too, but isn’t happy with his contract talks. M
If that buddy does it on behalf of the jets while domi is under contract with habs, that might be tampering?

Reactions: RCAFguytip24112

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Yep and if he signs that offersheet, wants to play for the jeta but Montreal doesn’t like the compensation and matches?
That's the rub. If he legit doesn't love montreal, he'd be stuck there if the habs match. It's why trouba would have never signed an offer sheet when he was a rfa with the jets - if they matched, he'd be there for the length of the contract.

My point was less to suggest that he'd actually sign, and more to say that as of Oct 9, chevy can speak to him to gauge his interest in playing for the jets and what kind of long term contract demands he has in mind. At that point, I'm sure he and MB could hammer out a trade

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Domi is an RFA oct 9. If the jets want him, we can offer him a contract and force montreal to match. If he doesn't accept and sign the offer sheet, we know he doesn't want to be here long term and don't try to trade for him.

His contract is likely to fall either under the one second round pick or a first and a third in terms of compensation.

Domi is arbitration eligible, the club probably elect for arbitration before then. If Domi decides to elect for arbitration, there's only a 24 hour window.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I am a big Ehlers fan but not the type of winger I am after. I rather just keep Domi and send him to arbitration for one year where his cap hit would be lower than Ehlers. I'd be willing to gamble that Domi regains his age 23 form in a stable spot in our line-up.

The idea of moving Domi is to address our size/scoring need on wing. Ehlers is not that type. Ehlers has 0.7 pts/game while Domi has 0.67 pgs/game playing with far less talent. No disrespect to Ehlers, but I decline that offer based on what the Habs are after.

I dont know the answer but as long as Domi isnt a UFA after that 1 year then I agree with you. If he is a UFA then I deal him now.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
That's the rub. If he legit doesn't love montreal, he'd be stuck there if the habs match. It's why trouba would have never signed an offer sheet when he was a rfa with the jets - if they matched, he'd be there for the length of the contract.

My point was less to suggest that he'd actually sign, and more to say that as of Oct 9, chevy can speak to him to gauge his interest in playing for the jets and what kind of long term contract demands he has in mind. At that point, I'm sure he and MB could hammer out a trade

he can't speak with him... he's RFA. Chevy could speak with him if he wants to trade for him, Montreal would allow that.

As for Domi not wanting to stay in Montreal is wrong, he wants to be Center and the habs wanted him at wing.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
he can't speak with him... he's RFA. Chevy could speak with him if he wants to trade for him, Montreal would allow that.

As for Domi not wanting to stay in Montreal is wrong, he wants to be Center and the habs wanted him at wing.

Do they? Or is that speculation. Most of the actual comments out of Montreal is that they see him as a center. He'd need to probably shift to wing in Montreal though.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Do they? Or is that speculation. Most of the actual comments out of Montreal is that they see him as a center. He'd need to probably shift to wing in Montreal though.
Speculation. But it's obvious, they tried him at wing at the end of the year he had a bad body language.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Speculation. But it's obvious, they tried him at wing at the end of the year he had a bad body language.

They tried him at wing after having play on the 4th line, and I'm not going to read into "bad body language" that is up to personal interpretation.

All parties see him at center may be the reason he could be moved, but there are other scenarios in play.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
3 year ELC + 2 year deal with the Habs = 5 years. He has 2 RFA years left. And I believe arbitration awards 1 year deals.

Arbitration awards 1 year deals if it is the team that elects arbitration. If the player chooses it, the team can chose to accept the number at one or two years. The Jets did this with Andrew Copp last off-season, for example.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Arbitration awards 1 year deals if it is the team that elects arbitration. If the player chooses it, the team can chose to accept the number at one or two years. The Jets did this with Andrew Copp last off-season, for example.

Figured. Habs have the leverage there. If Domi is not willing to sign a deal close to Drouin ($5.5M)... he goes to arbitration

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think he would sign long term for sure if the salary was 6.5+. He might also if the $ amount is lower, I'm just guessing.

Domi has no leverage. Habs do. Habs offer him a Drouin long term deal ($5.5M) and if he says no... Habs send him to arbitration. If he bust out again (72 pts and 28 goals), at least then you know his potential is not 40-50 pts like some are trying to nail him down to and buy for cheap in a trade.

2 RFA years left. 1 year arbitration deal or sign a fair deal for the team. Leverage is key here.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Domi has no leverage. Habs do. Habs offer him a Drouin long term deal ($5.5M) and if he says no... Habs send him to arbitration. If he bust out again (72 pts and 28 goals), at least then you know his potential is not 40-50 pts like some are trying to nail him down to and buy for cheap in a trade.

2 RFA years left. 1 year arbitration deal or sign a fair deal for the team. Leverage is key here.

The other consideration with arbitration is that, while it's rare that a contract is not signed before the hearing, on the rare occasion it does go to the hearing, a majority of those guys are gone within two years.

This doesn't include the 2019 hearings, but as of the 2017/18 off season, the player was on a new team in 21 of 27 arbitration cases since 2009, within 3 years, 16 in two years, and 14 of those within one year (from an Athletic article in July 2019 by Craig Custance). Arbitration hearings are naturally contentious - in this case, Montreal would go in saying how Domi doesn't deserve his ask and that can create some bad blood.

Reactions: Gains

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The other consideration with arbitration is that, while it's rare that a contract is not signed before the hearing, on the rare occasion it does go to the hearing, a majority of those guys are gone within two years.

This doesn't include the 2019 hearings, but as of the 2017/18 off season, the player was on a new team in 21 of 27 arbitration cases since 2009, within 3 years, 16 in two years, and 14 of those within one year (from an Athletic article in July 2019 by Craig Custance). Arbitration hearings are naturally contentious - in this case, Montreal would go in saying how Domi doesn't deserve his ask and that can create some bad blood.

There is already bad blood between Domi and the Habs the way Julien treated him this past year and how Domi fired his agent who is friends with Bergevin. Same agent as Patch when he fired his guy too. Brisson

Team friendly deal (Drouin type deal... $5.5M) or it goes to arbitration. It's business. Or some team gives us fair value in a trade for Domi. Sign/trade? Sure, price goes up

Domi and his new agent likely talked about the possible situations and the rumors are they are talking extension now. Domi's new agent talk some sense to him

Ronald Bourgogne

Jun 15, 2016
Max Domi and A. Lekhonen for K. Palimieri and 2020 3rd pick. Then sign M. Hoffman.

2021 Offensive Line up:

Drouin Suzuki Palmieri
Hoffman KK Armia
Tatar Danault Gallagher
Byron Evans Poehling

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Max Domi and A. Lekhonen for K. Palimieri and 2020 3rd pick. Then sign M. Hoffman.

2021 Offensive Line up:

Drouin Suzuki Palmieri
Hoffman KK Armia
Tatar Danault Gallagher
Byron Evans Poehling

Habs decline that.

Domi at age 25 with two RFA years left and 0.67 pts/game > Palimieri at age 29 with one year left then UFA and 0.6 pts/game. And you added Lehkonen for a 3rd in the mix?

You must really think Domi is only a 40-50 pts player eh?

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
I think New Jersey would be jumping all over this, it makes them younger and adds much-needed offensive depth. I don’t see Montreal going for it, though.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Bad for the Habs, and doesn't make sense for the devils if Domi wants to be a center; he's likely not going to be that with the devils.

Last edited:

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
You'll also have to do deal with the legion of fans who want nothing to do with Domi because of his dad or something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad