Value of: Max Domi - Mega Thread Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I remember when Habs fans would not trade Poehling+ for ROR. Prospects and youth are important but most times, they don't turn into who we hope they will. Reality. Not saying you should trade your youth either. Just be careful with nailing them down as a roster spot where they keep growing up and up. Very few can take the leap to top 6 talent
Yep I know that most will not make that leap (see Lias Andersson) but on the same token you can't give up on many of them especially in a cap crunch world. Chance we have to take. We can't keep handing out big contracts like we did with Trouba and Kreider.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Also I am sure every GM in the league know the same thing. More than likely Domi is heading out of Montreal. He holds value but all I am saying is I am not trading 2 young talented cost controlled players and a pick for him when we don't have the cap space to sign more important and better players down the line than Domi

1) Its definitely not a lock that Domi is headed out. Bergevin has only said that Suzuki and Kotkaniemi wont be moved. Danault might be the C they move depending on contract negotiations and potential offers. They also might just decide to go through arbitration, get him locked up for a year, and try again when he's an RFA next offseason if the right offer isn't there.

2) I doubt Montreal would want Chytil or Gauthier anyways. I doubt the Rangers have the trade piece(s) made available that would interest Bergevin.

NoSoup4U

Sep 22, 2020
What’s the scoop with Max? Can’t say I have followed his career much since he got to the NHL but why does he seem to get moved around/shopped? Attitude, effort, or just that type of guy?

When it was rumoured that he was involved in talks with Colorado at the deadline I was excited but I seem to see a lot of people talk negatively about him.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
What’s the scoop with Max? Can’t say I have followed his career much since he got to the NHL but why does he seem to get moved around/shopped? Attitude, effort, or just that type of guy?

When it was rumoured that he was involved in talks with Colorado at the deadline I was excited but I seem to see a lot of people talk negatively about him.

From this habs fan, i honestly think being in Arizona dragged him down. He is the type of player that excels when he is a go to guy. Has a huge ego, and it needs to be fed. Not in a bad way, but he needs spotlight.

Enter his first season with the Habs and tore it up. Got top line duty, with top players and PP time. Relished in the attention that got him.

Then i think it was a combination of Julien looking for that same spark that just wasnt that at seasons beginning along with the emergence of Suzuki. That was enough to push Domi to bottom 2 lines.

He still mustered up a decent season but obviously is better suited as a top 6 (see 2C) center position.

I think many are trading Domi willingly because Suzuki and KK both took huge steps in the play in round and Danault is that top 2 way center every team needs so it makes him the odd man out.

Personally would i be upset to see Domi be the 2C here, not at all...but i think most want to give KK a real shot at it and see Domi as a valuable trading chip to fill a hole elsewhere in the lineup.

NoSoup4U

Sep 22, 2020
From this habs fan, i honestly think being in Arizona dragged him down. He is the type of player that excels when he is a go to guy. Has a huge ego, and it needs to be fed. Not in a bad way, but he needs spotlight.

Enter his first season with the Habs and tore it up. Got top line duty, with top players and PP time. Relished in the attention that got him.

Then i think it was a combination of Julien looking for that same spark that just wasnt that at seasons beginning along with the emergence of Suzuki. That was enough to push Domi to bottom 2 lines.

He still mustered up a decent season but obviously is better suited as a top 6 (see 2C) center position.

I think many are trading Domi willingly because Suzuki and KK both took huge steps in the play in round and Danault is that top 2 way center every team needs so it makes him the odd man out.

Personally would i be upset to see Domi be the 2C here, not at all...but i think most want to give KK a real shot at it and see Domi as a valuable trading chip to fill a hole elsewhere in the lineup.
So what do you see him return in a trade? Does MTL need players or picks?

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007

With Weber, Price and Petry being your best players at the moment, and not getring younger- you have to think they are looking for immediate help.

The biggest need is a top RW. If there is a player with similar impact and age group that can be part of a 1 for 1 type hockey trade-great. If not, Habs can/should add to him for a better player.

Reactions: NoSoup4U

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa

Enter his first season with the Habs and tore it up. Got top line duty, with top players and PP time. Relished in the attention that got him
Interesting way that this is framed. IMO, this devalues the player because they are overly dependent on outside sources to get going. I’d say it’s less Arizona dragged him down and more that Domi needs help being an engaged player. These types of players easily fall into slumps and have a hard time getting out of them. I’d argue needing a spotlight to be your best is a negative player trait, particularly when the player in question is only really providing value when scoring and not as a role playing penalty killer for example.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I hope rumours out of Winnipeg are true and there may be some dissent. I would put domi in a package they couldn’t refuse . Domi , mete , 2020 1st , 2020 2nd , 2021 first . Laine I think given the chance could be an ultimate finisher on Kotkaniemi’s line to finish off what seems like an endless number of feeds from kk that never get finished . I think a line of Laine kk and armia could become a thing of beauty . It also adds to the young core .

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Interesting way that this is framed. IMO, this devalues the player because they are overly dependent on outside sources to get going. I’d say it’s less Arizona dragged him down and more that Domi needs help being an engaged player. These types of players easily fall into slumps and have a hard time getting out of them. I’d argue needing a spotlight to be your best is a negative player trait, particularly when the player in question is only really providing value when scoring and not as a role playing penalty killer for example.

Can't completely disagree with this. It's a double edged sword for sure.

Where i do disagree, is that is devalues Domi in a trade. Most players are inconsistent. If not, they would all be Art Ross winners.

Domi has very good abilities. He is quick, passes well, can play with an edge and certainly can drop them if need be. Just like Arizona and Montreal tolerate his average defensive game and his habit of not showing up every game- the next team will.

At the end of the day, Domi's positives heavily outweigh his faults and thats what makes him an attractive piece to move.

Reactions: EquabaleAce

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I think you have some valid points, but you don't mention the positives and the flip side to being this type of player. Domi is a guy that can rise to the occasion, make a big play or get a team going at times (ala Gallagher) which is the type of player many teams need. He's also more of a playmaker, which means he needs players that can finish around him to get on the score sheet and give him confidence.

All in all, it was a really disappointing season for Domi. While I think he was jerked around a bit, especially for someone who was the leading scorer on the team last year, he needs to show more maturity and professionalism and let his best traits shine when given his chance.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I think you have some valid points, but you don't mention the positives and the flip side to being this type of player. Domi is a guy that can rise to the occasion, make a big play or get a team going at times (ala Gallagher) which is the type of player many teams need. He's also more of a playmaker, which means he needs players that can finish around him to get on the score sheet and give him confidence.

All in all, it was a really disappointing season for Domi. While I think he was jerked around a bit, especially for someone who was the leading scorer on the team last year, he needs to show more maturity and professionalism and let his best traits shine when given his chance.
Strange. Domi leads the Habs in primary assist and finished second in takeaways all while on a 50 pt pace and it's considered a terrible season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Did he play wing in the playoffs at all? Why not try him at wing?
Don't take this the wrong way but the fact Julien trusted 3 centers over domi including two young ones (suzuki is really really good i know and plays like he is 28) something to be worried about for the team that trades for him?

He started at 4C then moved up on wing but no stable spot. He was ragged dolled all year due to Julien on him for defensive assignments. It's the style of our coach. Suzuki and Kotkaniemi were just more committed to playing the 200' game.

Domi needs to play center with at least one winger who is defensive aware and another winger with skill to complement his game. Or he needs to be a puck possession winger and play with a 200' physical center.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I hope rumours out of Winnipeg are true and there may be some dissent. I would put domi in a package they couldn’t refuse . Domi , mete , 2020 1st , 2020 2nd , 2021 first . Laine I think given the chance could be an ultimate finisher on Kotkaniemi’s line to finish off what seems like an endless number of feeds from kk that never get finished . I think a line of Laine kk and armia could become a thing of beauty . It also adds to the young core .

I think the Jets could quite easily refuse that package.

Reactions: RCAFguytip24112

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa

True. And it may all just come down to how we as individuals would build our team, I’d go for a more consistent player than one who can rise of the situation is just right for him.

Kinda tying in to the other poster as well, I don’t think it drops his trade value and didn’t intend to imply as much. But at the end of the day the Habs are allegedly trying to trade him to make room for other players, and not trade other players to make room for him.

Reactions: malcb33

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The jets would tell you to GTFO and not come back

Reactions: RCAFguytip24112

RCAFguy

Sep 22, 2020
Canada

Mete is worthless to the Jets. Making the rest of the package easily turned down.

Reactions: Snowman

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

We need a winger with size who can score. If that's not available, we would take futures but it won't be cheap. He has 2 RFA years left and we can send him to arbitration and we would win for that 1 year deal. Habs don't have to move Domi. He's being shopped cause we don't have room for him at center and if we move him to wing, we increase our flaws on wing with too many smaller type players.

Julien bounced him all over the line-up once Suzuki proved he can play center and be defensive aware. Domi was then moved to 3C (KK struggleing during the season) and once again... Domi playing with 3rd line talent.

Go look at the talent Domi has played with so far in his career. It's mostly 3rd line talent in 5 years with both the Coyotes and Habs. The offensive skills are not in question... his commitment to playing the 200' game is. Julien did that with Seguin back with the Bruins too!

Reactions: NoSoup4U

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
But at the end of the day the Habs are allegedly trying to trade him to make room for other players, and not trade other players to make room for him.

I agree, he doesn't have the size, goal-scoring ability and is better-suited playing C, which is spots that are already filled (baring injury). The other issue is he's a smaller, skilled playmaker ala Drouin, we need size and shooters to round out the team, something Domi doesn't bring, unfortunately.

I have no problem trading Domi if Berg is getting value for him and filling holes. However, if he's moving him for the sake of it, it's going to be very bad as he had a down season last year. Domi has speed, skill, tenacity and can play centre all things that be coveted by the right team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think the Jets could quite easily refuse that package.

What about Domi for the 10th OA straight up? I think Domi has more value than that but if we find a winger with size who can score with another move (another team), would you be interested in that?

RCAFguy

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
What about Domi for the 10th OA straight up? I think Domi has more value than that but if we find a winger with size who can score with another move (another team), would you be interested in that?

Ok. Now I'm interested. But hurdles remain. Will Domi resign in Winnipeg? If yes, then I'd pull the trigger. If no, not sure 2 years of Domi is worth it.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I'd rather not as the prospect pipeline is rather thin. If it could be done for a roster player and a later round pick, that would be preferable. I think the Jets have too many holes in the pipeline to give up the 10th for a 2 year upgrade.

Reactions: Nedarb

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Ok. Now I'm interested. But hurdles remain. Will Domi resign in Winnipeg? If yes, then I'd pull the trigger. If no, not sure 2 years of Domi is worth it.

Im not commenting on value of Domi vs 10th OA, but I will say the Jets likely best/ideal piece to solve their 2C need is the 10th OA and likely would be used at the draft not for any short term solution. Domi contract status, new agent and arb rights all spell a likely contract war with the Habs or any team who trades for him barring an overpayment on his contract. If Domi goes via arb right route, team cannot stop him and he can walk himself to UFA in two years.......which might be fine for some but for the the Jets it would be a devastating. I can’t see the Jets trading the 10th OA for Domi, but especially with his contract status now.

Reactions: Snowman

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Not sure I'd open the sign/trade up. If you want that, the price goes up. It's 10th OA for Domi straight up.... if the Habs can make another trade. I'm thinking Rakell for 16th OA and Brook. If that falls through, we keep Domi and send him to arbitration

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd rather not as the prospect pipeline is rather thin. If it could be done for a roster player and a later round pick, that would be preferable. I think the Jets have too many holes in the pipeline to give up the 10th for a 2 year upgrade.

That's not fair. Cause if you trade Laine, he is a 3 year RFA upgrade and you would be asking for way more value than just 3 years of team control. I don't think Jets fans are being fair to Habs fans here. You want the best of every situation which is disingenuous

Regardless, you value the futures more. I can respect that. But lets not pretend Domi is not in his prime years at 25+. He is for sure worth the 10th OA. Would you do it? That's up to the Jets.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
That's not fair. Cause if you trade Laine, he is a 3 year RFA upgrade and you would be asking for way more value than just 3 years of team control. I don't think Jets fans are being fair to Habs fans here. You want the best of every situation which is disingenuous

Regardless, you value the futures more. I can respect that. But lets not pretend Domi is not in his prime years at 25+. He is for sure worth the 10th OA. Would you do it? That's up to the Jets.

Didn't say anything about Domi's ability just that I don't want to give up the 10th overall for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad