Player Discussion Max Domi - Maximus Dominatus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
I remember when early in the season most didnt want to trade him for Laine,not even one for one

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
On the one hand Domi needs to know his place and accept a role even if it isn't the one he wants.

On the other, it makes no sense to put him on wing unless he's with a good centre with size, because Domi is most effective (especially for shooting) down the middle. He needs to be there to be a dual threat. And after his season last year, It shouldn't even be a matter of consideration without something amazing happening to our C corps.

The thing to remember is that while there's certainly an ego involved, it's revolving around him being the offensive centre the habs have needed for so long. He knows what kind of a star he can be in Montreal. And he's looking to be the difference maker, not just to get paid but to build a legacy.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Not every player. Galchenyuk was. Doesnt mean he would have become Crosby, just that he wasnt developed properly. Not sure how people still have a hard time admitting that.
Haha. have you seen Alex play with his other two teams?
Low hockey I.Q. that is a quality nothing to do with "development".
He a blur of speed and a heavy shot with a hockey brain the size of a pebble.
Yet it's the management and coach's fault in Montreal.
continues to be an oft repeated joke.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Well.. I guess we all jumped aboard the Domi hype train alittle early didn't we.

Don't worry, I'm just as guilty :booboo:

I did not. I always wait a minimum of two years and preferably three before painting a player in a role. There has been many one or two seasons wonder over the years since i watch hockey. Not saying Domi will be one but it's not rare at all.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
On the one hand Domi needs to know his place and accept a role even if it isn't the one he wants.

On the other, it makes no sense to put him on wing unless he's with a good centre with size, because Domi is most effective (especially for shooting) down the middle. He needs to be there to be a dual threat. And after his season last year, It shouldn't even be a matter of consideration without something amazing happening to our C corps.

The thing to remember is that while there's certainly an ego involved, it's revolving around him being the offensive centre the habs have needed for so long. He knows what kind of a star he can be in Montreal. And he's looking to be the difference maker, not just to get paid but to build a legacy.

The role needs to be logical though. I'm sorry but having Danault as your first line center for more than a season just is not logical. I can understand the frustration of Domi to not be given the chance to lead this team despite what he did last year (if it's the case). The people who defend Danault being our first line center for so long are out for launch.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
The role needs to be logical though. I'm sorry but having Danault as your first line center for more than a season just is not logical. I can understand the frustration of Domi to not be given the chance to lead this team despite what he did last year (if it's the case). The people who defend Danault being our first line center for so long are out for launch.
I don't see the problem of Danault playing as a 1st liner center to shutdown the opponent's best lines. I'd rather Danault's line do that than Domi's.
Still, Domi is playing with 3rd line players or a rookie most of the nights (Lehkonen, Armia, rookie being Suzuki), we can't expect him to dominate as much. He needs a better winger and now that Drouin is injured, there's no one else. Season to forget.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I don't know where to start with you, stop being obtuse.
Not sure why you keep talking about his two other teams like he was a sophomore when he joined them.
He was traded 6 years after his NHL debut...You think we should just forego all those years and expect him to poof...become a star now? You are proving my point more than yours, you realize this right??..
Him continuously failing just shows how bad we developed him.

And when you say it's ''Mtl's fault''...ya, it's their fault that what exactly?? What do you think people are saying Galch should have become that is just oh-so-crazy for you to believe they had an impact on?
You think people are saying he should have become what? A top line center? A superstar or star? Or just a consistent 60pt center type?...
You're all over the place man, not making any bit of sense and just hating any posts that suggests Habs had any bit of fault in how Galch is looking today.
Not sure what he did for you to have such hate and lack any bit of objectivity when discussing him, it's weird.

How good or bad of a player ends up being doesn't just void any criticism. You can have a player become nothing and the Habs still taken poor developmental decision. Tinordi was done by his last season here, keeping him here as a healthy scratch for 3 months to start the year was still a completely stupid decision. One bad thing doesn't excuse another.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I agree mostly. I think overall Domi/Danault should be used very strategically in a 1A/1B situation. But if I were to call anyone the 2C is would be Phil.

They need to stack Domi's line for offense because whatever 6 forwards remain to round out the top9 will be solid.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I don't know where to start with you, stop being obtuse.
Not sure why you keep talking about his two other teams like he was a sophomore when he joined them.
He was traded 6 years after his NHL debut...You think we should just forego all those years and expect him to poof...become a star now? You are proving my point more than yours, you realize this right??..
Him continuously failing just shows how bad we developed him.

And when you say it's ''Mtl's fault''...ya, it's their fault that what exactly?? What do you think people are saying Galch should have become that is just oh-so-crazy for you to believe they had an impact on?
You think people are saying he should have become what? A top line center? A superstar or star? Or just a consistent 60pt center type?...
You're all over the place man, not making any bit of sense and just hating any posts that suggests Habs had any bit of fault in how Galch is looking today.
Not sure what he did for you to have such hate and lack any bit of objectivity when discussing him, it's weird.

How good or bad of a player ends up being doesn't just void any criticism. You can have a player become nothing and the Habs still taken poor developmental decision. Tinordi was done by his last season here, keeping him here as a healthy scratch for 3 months to start the year was still a completely stupid decision. One bad thing doesn't excuse another.
I was mocking the "it's the management/coach's fault" stance that too many take on here.

AG is simply not a very good hockey player. It's nobody's fault he FAILED everywhere he has played.
One good 30 goal season and he couldnt repeat it anywhere. It's not like this doesnt happen over and over again in hockey.
AG is nothing special. Never will be. In fact he's either average or below average now.
that's a normal progression for many NHLers.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
I did not. I always wait a minimum of two years and preferably three before painting a player in a role. There has been many one or two seasons wonder over the years since i watch hockey. Not saying Domi will be one but it's not rare at all.

Oh of course. Many folks here were stating that its too early to call it a win... I had that mentality but then got caught up in it.... of course my view has gone back to what it was before. Its too early to call it a win. He could change things around and come back to 2018 Domi which we could use right now but based on the things runner found , and what my *OPINIONS* are , it seems that Domi is unhappy and its showing this year.

Jul 6, 2016
Oh of course. Many folks here were stating that its too early to call it a win... I had that mentality but then got caught up in it.... of course my view has gone back to what it was before. Its too early to call it a win. He could change things around and come back to 2018 Domi which we could use right now but based on the things runner found , and what my *OPINIONS* are , it seems that Domi is unhappy and its showing this year.

"Unhappy" about what ? He should focus on his play, be less selfish, and he will get his big contract like anyone else.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I don't see the problem of Danault playing as a 1st liner center to shutdown the opponent's best lines. I'd rather Danault's line do that than Domi's.
Still, Domi is playing with 3rd line players or a rookie most of the nights (Lehkonen, Armia, rookie being Suzuki), we can't expect him to dominate as much. He needs a better winger and now that Drouin is injured, there's no one else. Season to forget.
Problem is that Lehky and Suzuki have been really good and Domi has been the one dragging them down.

Not sure why this coach is so keen on keeping the lines together when they clearly aren't working

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I was mocking the "it's the management/coach's fault" stance that too many take on here.

AG is simply not a very good hockey player. It's nobody's fault he FAILED everywhere he has played.
One good 30 goal season and he couldnt repeat it anywhere. It's not like this doesnt happen over and over again in hockey.
AG is nothing special. Never will be. In fact he's either average or below average now.
that's a normal progression for many NHLers.
You literally addressed nothing from my post and just repeated how you think AG sucks.
Everyone knows you think he's just not good, now can you actually focus on what I brought up? Go back and read again.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The problem is you don't want your first line center to be in a shutdown role. You want him in a role where he can produce top offensive numbers, and ideally, also shutdown opposition. But offensive production should always be a big part of the top center. Guys like Kopitar, Bergeron, Toews, O'Reilly...they still dish out some offense. That is key.

There was a time when we had two good two way centers in Koivu and Plekanec, yet, it was unanimously agreed upon this wasn't a good enough duo for our top 2 centers. Nowadays people are arguing Danault is pretty good to have as a #1 center. This is insanity.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
No way he deserves a penny over $6 million with the way he is playing. He should get something similar to Drouin.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
You literally addressed nothing from my post and just repeated how you think AG sucks.
Everyone knows you think he's just not good, now can you actually focus on what I brought up? Go back and read again.
repeat your points in a more succinct way without the anger and lets see what we got.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Report says Domi was putting pressure on the team to be permanently at center. He had not been getting his way from the start of the season. So it can’t possibly be that he was upset over this and the resulting underpayment that would come eventually from playing wing?

This strikes me as extremely selfish and is certainly not about putting the team first like he likes to fashion himself as standing for. It’s hypocritical and disingenuous and it prevents the teams’s plans for another player to play that position. The word “permanently” is particularly telling.

Despicable if true. If he's putting himself before the team,adios amigo.

Domi wants to play center because it's the only way he's going to get a contract worth more than Drouin's.

oNe sEaSoN wOnDeR :D

you guys are quick on the draw and out of order. Unless ''reports'' are provided this is just a hot pile of shit.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Right now, Domi is cheating way too much in the D-zone to be deemed a dependable centre. And on the dot, Yanic Perreault he ain't.

He needs to show true commitment at playing as a true centre in his own zone.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
you guys are quick on the draw and out of order. Unless ''reports'' are provided this is just a hot pile of ****.

You're out of order.

It comes from mainstream media not a no-name blogger. Guillaume Lefrançois has a source even if he doesn't name it. And he doesn't name it for good reason -- it's sensitive info.

What's a hot pile of shit is your drive-by vomiting. Why don't you look up stuff for yourself and provide a rebuttal other than based on generalities and insults. I dug into the piece and translated it. You can certainly decide you don't trust Lefrançois, in that case a simple "if this is accurate" as a preamble to making a point, would not have been unreasonable, as some posters including myself have posted subsequently when referring to this.

To claim that it doesn't at all exist when you don't have shit, makes your post completely irrelevant.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
You're out of order.

It comes from mainstream media not a no-name blogger. Guillaume Lefrançois has a source even if he doesn't name it. And he doesn't name it for good reason -- it's sensitive info.

What's a hot pile of **** is your drive-by vomiting. Why don't you look up stuff for yourself and provide a rebuttal other than based on generalities and insults. I dug into the piece and translated it. You can certainly decide you don't trust Lefrançois, in that case a simple "if this is accurate" as a preamble to making a point, would not have been unreasonable, as some posters including myself have posted subsequently when referring to this.

To claim that it doesn't at all exist when you don't have ****, makes your post completely irrelevant.

Domi probably prefers to play center, but the angle flicked by the toxic media you quote is that his motivation is economical. You don't know, he and his source doesn't know. plain and simple and to claim otherwise is dishonest and creates a snowball effect (which I quoted) to show my point. Don't you think Domi would like to find his groove and start putting numbers no matter where he plays ?

another point is that if Julien's objective given by his boss is to make the playoffs, then you understand KK is not getting into the top 6 as a C and domi might end up on suzuki's wing but will most likely stay at center. That has hardly anything to do with him pouting and more to do with the refusal of management to prioritize developing players instead of short term results.

so that's my point, sorry if you were offended, I meant no disrespect and wanted to show where a ''report'' like that can have a snowball effect on the general narrative. My apologies if it was received as anything else than a warning about trusting one 3rd hand witness to build a narrative.

I remember the day Hossa got traded to Montreal. So do you.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

You should read some behavioral biology. Everything is development. From birth to the league, from reflex to spatial analysis, to "character". No one is born with talent, just predisposotions that get catalyzed or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad