Max Comtois disables comments on Instagram

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
There are similarities and there are differences. Do I mean exactly like a phone number, no. But in this day in age, they aren't alot of old school comparisons to use. But most people will have a social media profile, they might be every where or just on one platform, they might be private and they might be public. But like picking up the phone and calling them, it is directed right at them, and though it hasn't happened that I've heard in this specific case, but they can't get you through that, they will try the numbers/accounts of friends or family or people who have the same name.

But the big reason I used the phone analogy is that it is specific directed targeting, where as by large a forum is the water cooler at work, he may come over and listen in, or join in himself, but he is making the concerted effort to do so.

Ok, I'll play along. What's your solution then? All these social media platforms have options built in to block or make accounts private to combat this "harassment." We can skip discussing why people choose to ignore these very obvious features as well as why it's not a life requirement to a have social media presence. What is the solution then? And don't say "people have to be better, raise their kids better, etc." It's not up to users of social media to police themselves, it's up to companies like Twitter and Facebook. But if social media users are going to ignore existing features that combat harassment, what do we do next? What's the next step in policing Twttier and Instagram comments?

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
need to stop that BS pressure on guy. Even Kostin apologized to him. Comtois did few wrong actions but at least he was only who have balls to penalty shoot -thats a problem -send skilled guys not considering mental side of players

Except Comtois isn't a "skill guy". He's an agitator at best and was placed in a position where he was likely to fail. That's on the coach and the selection committee.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Except Comtois isn't a "skill guy". He's an agitator at best and was placed in a position where he was likely to fail. That's on the coach and the selection committee.

I can see how/why Hunter threw Comtois out there.....he'd had a target on his back with all the diving he'd done before, lowering his rep in the tourney. Scoring that goal in OT would have erased all of that and got him back in everyone's good books.....well, everyone outside of Finland, I reckon. :laugh:

Didn't quite work out in his favour, but it made sense to me. Canada didn't lose the game on Comtois' miss, though. Can't pin that on him. Maybe the fact that they only managed one goal in regulation, or couldn't clear the zone in the final minute. Maybe bad marking on Utunen's game winner. Comtois shouldn't be the martyr here, even if he was the captain of one of Canada's poorest showings in WJC history.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I can see how/why Hunter threw Comtois out there.....he'd had a target on his back with all the diving he'd done before, lowering his rep in the tourney. Scoring that goal in OT would have erased all of that and got him back in everyone's good books.....well, everyone outside of Finland, I reckon. :laugh:

Didn't quite work out in his favour, but it made sense to me. Canada didn't lose the game on Comtois' miss, though. Can't pin that on him. Maybe the fact that they only managed one goal in regulation, or couldn't clear the zone in the final minute. Maybe bad marking on Utunen's game winner. Comtois shouldn't be the martyr here, even if he was the captain of one of Canada's poorest showings in WJC history.

Comtois was barely skilled enough to make the team let alone be named team captain. As I said before Tim Hunter has to wear this one. Naming a 3rd or 4th line agitator team captain was a ridiculous move in the first place.

Cody Glass, Evan Bouchard or Morgan Frost should have been captain.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Let’s not forget these are teenagers playing a game. forums you can criticize all you want but attacking a kid directly to his personal account is ridiculous

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Let’s not forget these are teenagers playing a game. forums you can criticize all you want but attacking a kid directly to his personal account is ridiculous
Yes, of course, but the fact is that most the criticism in this case was actually unwarranted. He embellished a couple of times. I dislike it, and it makes sense to call it out, but it's been blown way out of proportion and I'm not talking only about the small number who said ugly things, I mean the larger number who needed a scapegoat on forums and expressed their unjustifiable opinion politely.

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
A lot of it is triggered by the way he represented this country. That diving shit pissed off a lot of people. Not saying bullying him is right, but I doubt the main reason people are mad are because he missed in OT. I think he is one of the worst captains in a good while for team Canada.

This is why athletes should just go on private - you know stuff like this is going to happen, so to resolve the issue, don't give people the chance. Go off private once things settle down.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Ok, I'll play along. What's your solution then? All these social media platforms have options built in to block or make accounts private to combat this "harassment." We can skip discussing why people choose to ignore these very obvious features as well as why it's not a life requirement to a have social media presence. What is the solution then? And don't say "people have to be better, raise their kids better, etc." It's not up to users of social media to police themselves, it's up to companies like Twitter and Facebook. But if social media users are going to ignore existing features that combat harassment, what do we do next? What's the next step in policing Twttier and Instagram comments?
I think you may have misinterpreted my position on all this which has been that posting stupid crap about a player is a million times more acceptable somewhere like a message board than it is to bombard someone's social media. I think comotois did the right thing disabling comments and using the the tools available to stop it... but I don't think he should have had to.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Social media should mandate that all users making comments show who they really are. I doubt anyone would dare say such hateful things if their employers, friends, and family saw what they were posting... I can guarantee that....

Canandians need to get over this... so much hate on a kid since they aren't talented enough to be a player themselves. Just accept that other countries are getter better at "your" sport. This happens in other industries, so accept the fact that others are cathing up and your country doesn't have some secret magic sauce.

I hope Max keeps his game the same... I'm looking forward to have a duck who doesn't give a F... like Marchant, Rousesel, Andrew Shaw, Tom Wilson... or dives as much as Gaudreu and Neal.... giving other teams a taste of their own medicine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dingo

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
The Mtl press here pretending the outrage is all about missing the penalty shot.
While I do think there were racist undertones in the mob, I'm pretty sure the penalty shot miss comes second to all the diving on the Comtois-did-wrong list. I know I respect him a little less because of it. Couldn't care less about the missed PS.
I'm a francophone Quebecois btw.

I agree with everything you said, but the racist ''undertone'' isn't okay. Those should have been condemned by hockey Canada. Had people used other derogatory terms referencing other minorities for their culture or the color of their skin and it would have been condemned everywhere for a week. We'd never see the end of it (rightfully so).

''what do you make of the racist comm...''

''I HAVENT SEEN THEM''

come on.

Last edited:

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
The response to this is typical and lame. All these heroes acting like a horrible crime was committed against this poor little boy.

He's a hockey player representing (and the supposed leader) his country in a heavily hyped tournament. They failed and his performance was embarrassing. Hell, you know it's bad when even Don Cherry criticizes the team. Boo hoo people said mean things to him on the internet.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
A lot of it is triggered by the way he represented this country. That diving **** pissed off a lot of people. Not saying bullying him is right, but I doubt the main reason people are mad are because he missed in OT. I think he is one of the worst captains in a good while for team Canada.

This is why athletes should just go on private - you know stuff like this is going to happen, so to resolve the issue, don't give people the chance. Go off private once things settle down.
Some people were mad at him for the embellishment, but that was exaggerated too. That doesn't explain the anger towards him surging after they were eliminated in a game where he didn't embellish.

Calling him "the worst captain in a long time" is the overreaction that I'm talking about. I mean maybe he is the worst (because most are really good), but he wasn't bad overall and had been the focus of far too much of the disappointment.

I'd much rather be "represented" by Comtois than Lias Anderson or Klim Kostin who somehow end up heroes for being dicks.

For sure one of the better things about Canada is that we hold our team to a high standard, but it's possible to do that without overdoing it.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
The response to this is typical and lame. All these heroes acting like a horrible crime was committed against this poor little boy.

He's a hockey player representing (and the supposed leader) his country in a heavily hyped tournament. They failed and his performance was embarrassing. Hell, you know it's bad when even Don Cherry criticizes the team. Boo hoo people said mean things to him on the internet.

'' We obviously condemn any form of racism'' . problem solved. not taking 3 seconds to say that is exactly what's lame here.

blindpass

May 7, 2010

Those expressing this opinion are the embarrassment. They lost a close, hard fought hockey game against a good team, and he played well.

Jul 6, 2016
No official reactions from Hockey Canada yet ????

I guess, IF Comtois would had been of Jewish confession or of Afro-American descent, they would had reacted strongly to defend the kid.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
People who insulted and shamed Comtois mostly reacted in an immature and very reactional/emotional way. When you lose control of yourself, you lose integrity and respect. Acting that way is uncivilized.

The funny thing is that it's so quick for them "fake fans" to forget who brought this team to the QUARTER FINALS? Without Comtois, there's no soul to this pathetic team lead by Tim Hunter. I'm sorry but no one carried this team more than he did throughout the whole tournament. Not every single Canadian hockey player is Eberle or Toews. Dealing under immense pressure is unimaginable. Comtois played a great tournament, period.

And I'm Quebecois and didn't even bring up that part of the controversy. The insults were low and not worth talking about.

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012

If that’s the reason Hunter threw him out there for the penalty shot then he is a truly, truly, awful coach.

“Although there are better choices to put out there for the good of the team......I’m gonna throw Comtois out there to get people to like him again.”

I really hope you’re wrong

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
'' We obviously condemn any form of racism'' . problem solved. not taking 3 seconds to say that is exactly what's lame here.
Racism? Did I miss something? What was said to Comtois that was racist?

If it’s what I’m going to assume it is, and people going on about him being from Quebec....that’s not racism. Being French is not a race...it’s a culture.

Let’s stop throwing the racism term out there blindly as has become so popular these days.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017

What are the exact comments that they've decided were racist? I've seen it just grouped as people being mean to a little boy (who was a horrible captain and embarrassed his country for how he behaved and as the captain, how the team conducted themselves). People should blast him.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
What are the exact comments that they've decided were racist? I've seen it just grouped as people being mean to a little boy (who was a horrible captain and embarrassed his country for how he behaved and as the captain, how the team conducted themselves). People should blast him.
Other than losing, what about the conduct of the team are you disappointed with? They were fine, you come across as an overentitled sore loser.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkster58

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad