Max Comtois disables comments on Instagram

blindpass

May 7, 2010
I had a long post typed out pointing out how ridiculous your post is but realized it wasn’t worth my time to post as it would be over your head and you would respond with nonsense like this. So I’ll shorten it a bit.

Your statement, however, stating “Do you have Ukrainian friends? Didn’t think so”.........how do you know I’m not Ukrainian?

Being French from Quebec is not a race. Comtois is a white Franco Canadian, however, if he so chooses, he can never speak French again and declare himself an Anglo. Therefore being French is not a race, it’s a culture.......one in which he should be proud of, but at the end of the day, he can choose to stop being French. A person cannot choose to stop being a certain race. Therefore, statements made towards Comtois about being from Quebec are not “racist.”

If someone from Quebec calls me an English pig dog from Ontario, is that racist? No it isn’t. It’s just ignorant.

Have a nice day
You are splitting hairs. Aren't both behaviours pretty similar, pre-judging someone from their group or based on some more or less arbitrary difference? I'm not sure what distinction there is worth making a big deal over. If it isn't literally racism it is certainly like racism.

I edited this down from a longer version that was hilariously funny and poignant. /s

Last edited:

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Did I like Comtois as a captain? No. I thought he was embarrassing with the diving and all.

Does he deserve criticism? I think so, but there are ways to address that. Personal attacks on social media aren't cool. I don't really have an issue if someone tweeted "@Comtois dive tonight was embarrassing, he should smarten up". But "@Comtois should get HIV because he is a disgrace to our country" is very different.

I think there are 3 types of people doing this:

1) Old people who don't fully grasp how social media works
2) Young kids who create fake accounts to 'troll'
3) Just straight up assholes

I'm sure those kids wouldn't say shit if they had to reveal their identity. Most of them will mature with age but being able to hide behind a screen will give a pathetic person a lot of power. Those old people are just incompetent and probably not even worth dealing with. The assholes are also assholes. Unfortunately they don't care if people know who they are. I'd like to see comments backfire on them in their personal life though.

I think we are coming to a day where social media services are going to require actual identification, which is probably a good thing at the end of the day.

I think he did the smart thing by disabling his comments. Time heals everything... there will still be 1-2 losers who stick around and harass him in a year from now but by that point I'm sure Comtois will be able to laugh and realize that he is a NHL player and this is some loser harassing kids online.

Reactions: Kalv

blindpass

May 7, 2010
It’s because Comtois signed an NHL contract with Anaheim and he played a few NHL games. However that goes to the point I made earlier about how Canadian Juniors in this tournament have far less experience playing against men at the pro or college level than any of the other teams.

If you look at Comtois historical scoring totals he was never a big point producer at any level and never displayed high end skills. His role in junior was as a top 6 agitator but not a big PP guy.

His scoring this season was an aberration and the coaches should’ve recognized it.
Actually, the aberrations was his low scoring draft year. He was discussed as a potential high first round NHL draft pick prior to that. Read the start of his thread in the Prospect forum, the hype was pretty high.

Nevertheless, his value to the team was more than scoring because he offered a needed physical presence and a strong two-way game.

What I'm hearing about his performance and what I watched myself just don't match at all, I mean not even close. Konecny (for example) was and is a much worse diver and didn't get a fraction of the scorn (yeah, "Captain", whatever). For whatever reason Comtois is getting judged unfairly.

Last edited:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Did I like Comtois as a captain? No. I thought he was embarrassing with the diving and all.

Does he deserve criticism? I think so, but there are ways to address that. Personal attacks on social media aren't cool. I don't really have an issue if someone tweeted "@Comtois dive tonight was embarrassing, he should smarten up". But "@Comtois should get HIV because he is a disgrace to our country" is very different.

I think there are 3 types of people doing this:

1) Old people who don't fully grasp how social media works
2) Young kids who create fake accounts to 'troll'
3) Just straight up *******s

I'm sure those kids wouldn't say **** if they had to reveal their identity. Most of them will mature with age but being able to hide behind a screen will give a pathetic person a lot of power. Those old people are just incompetent and probably not even worth dealing with. The *******s are also *******s. Unfortunately they don't care if people know who they are. I'd like to see comments backfire on them in their personal life though.

I think we are coming to a day where social media services are going to require actual identification, which is probably a good thing at the end of the day.

I think he did the smart thing by disabling his comments. Time heals everything... there will still be 1-2 losers who stick around and harass him in a year from now but by that point I'm sure Comtois will be able to laugh and realize that he is a NHL player and this is some loser harassing kids online.
I agree with pretty much everything

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
You are splitting hairs. Aren't both behaviours pretty similar, pre-judging someone from their group or based on some more or less arbitrary difference? I'm not sure what distinction there is worth making a big deal over. If it isn't literally racism it is certainly like racism.

I edited this down from a longer version that was hilariously funny and poignant. /s
It’s certainly discrimination.

But as I stated.....discrimination does not necessarily equal racism.

Reactions: overlords

blindpass

May 7, 2010
It’s certainly discrimination.

But as I stated.....discrimination does not necessarily equal racism.
Right, racism is a type of discrimination. Good work, so glad we've got that clear. So swap in "discrimination" for "racism" and it is more or less the same problem, no?

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Are people really arguing about this? You've got to be ****** kidding me!

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
We lost, it happens. Kids feel bad and the fans feels bad.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Pretty sad that fans would do that.

It’s one thing to complain here, a whole other thing to attack the guy personally on social media.

It's actually really not.

They get emboldened here with the stupid s*** then carry it to a whole other level when they realize there's no ramifications for their actions.

I haven't read this thread but, has any posters here come forward to admit they took part in this?

Reactions: blindpass

blindpass

May 7, 2010
It's actually really not.

They get emboldened here with the stupid s*** then carry it to a whole other level when they realize there's no ramifications for their actions.

I haven't read this thread but, has any posters here come forward to admit they took part in this?
Bingo.

No one has owned up, why would they? Some have outed themselves in other ways, like insinuating that he is weak for blocking their legitimate free speech. I agree with their right to say it, but why the hell would you expect him to want to hear it, or be any the less for not wanting to?

It starts with the OP's sarcasm.

Last edited:

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
Right, racism is a type of discrimination. Good work, so glad we've got that clear. So swap in "discrimination" for "racism" and it is more or less the same problem, no?
Yes it is....however it isn’t racism and shouldn’t be called as such.

By your logic, if I discriminate against someone because they are too tall and someone calls me a racist because of that, that’s ok since its discrimination which is just a word swapped in for racism?

As you can see, while they may be similar, they have totally different connotations and you can’t say it’s acceptable to call all forms of discrimination racism because they are “more or less the same problem.”

That was my whole point to begin with....yes the people ragging on Comtois are idiots. Yes they are discriminating against him by virtue of being French.......but that doesn’t make them racist and therefore the logic by the other poster that Hockey Canada should release a statement saying they condemn racism makes no sense.

Last edited:

blindpass

May 7, 2010

By your logic, if I discriminate against someone because they are too tall and someone calls me a racist because of that, that’s ok since its discrimination which is just a word swapped in for racism?

As you can see, while they may be similar, they have totally different connotations and you can’t say it’s acceptable to call all forms of discrimination racism because they are “more or less the same problem.”

That was my whole point to begin with....yes the people ragging on Comtois are idiots. Yes they are discriminating against him by virtue of being French.......but that doesn’t make them racist and therefore the logic by the other poster that Hockey Canada should release a statement saying they condemn racism makes no sense.
Sorry, I don't see much difference between being biased against someone for being French, Jewish or Black. But you've successfully exhausted my interest in the topic.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Actually, the aberrations was his low scoring draft year. He was discussed as a potential high first round NHL draft pick prior to that. Read the start of his thread in the Prospect forum, the hype was pretty high.

Nevertheless, his value to the team was more than scoring because he offered a needed physical presence and a strong two-way game.

What I'm hearing about his performance and what I watched myself just don't match at all, I mean not even close. Konecny (for example) was and is a much worse diver and didn't get a fraction of the scorn (yeah, "Captain", whatever). For whatever reason Comtois is getting judged unfairly.

Comtois ranks as the 102nd best scorer in PPG in the QMJHL over the last decade.

For reference John Tavares ranks 2nd, Connor McDavid 5th and Mitch Marner 8th in OHL scoring over the last decade.

Do you know who ranks 102 in OHL scoring over the last decade? Ahler Reid Boucher. Matt Martin is close behind at 105. Those are the comparables for Maxime Comtois.

He was never skilled enough to lead the world junior team.

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
Sorry, I don't see much difference between being biased against someone for being French, Jewish or Black. But you've successfully exhausted my interest in the topic.
If you can’t understand that being French is not a race then I don’t know what to tell you.

So a white Franco and an African Canadian Franco....there’s no difference when it comes to race because they are both Franco’s?

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
Comtois ranks as the 102nd best scorer in PPG in the QMJHL over the last decade.

For reference John Tavares ranks 2nd, Connor McDavid 5th and Mitch Marner 8th in OHL scoring over the last decade.

Do you know who ranks 102 in OHL scoring over the last decade? Ahler Reid Boucher. Matt Martin is close behind at 105. Those are the comparables for Maxime Comtois.

Since when does skill (or lack thereof according to you) affects ones leadership ability.

We don’t know the dynamics in that room so we can’t say his peers didn’t look up to him.

Last edited:

blindpass

May 7, 2010

That's some nice stat digging. Who said he measured with those players? Did you go look up his Prospect thread like I suggested? Before his weak draft year people were speculating he could go first. Waste of time arguing with someone who can't admit they are wrong when the facts are in front of their face.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
If you can’t understand that being French is not a race then I don’t know what to tell you.

So a white Franco and an African Canadian Franco....there’s no difference when it comes to race because they are both Franco’s?
No, I'm saying discrimination is possible against francophones.

If someone wants to call that racism I have the flexibility to understand what they mean, even if it might not be the perfect word, and continue discussing it without endless nitpicking when what they meant is perfectly clear.

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
No, I'm saying discrimination is possible against francophones.

If someone wants to call that racism I have the flexibility to understand what they mean, even if it might not be the perfect word, and continue discussing it without endless nitpicking when what they meant is perfectly clear.
His exact quote was Hockey Canada needs to condemn racism....he then proceeded to call me uneducated when I pointed out it wasn’t racism.

So yes, in this case there is a need to nitpick.

Like I said, however, don’t take this to mean I’m defending those idiots who discriminated against Comtois, because I’m not. Their comments were reprehensible and have no place in society.

Reactions: blindpass

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007

call it discrimination, no one cares... its still f***ing wrong.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
His exact quote was Hockey Canada needs to condemn racism....he then proceeded to call me uneducated when I pointed out it wasn’t racism.

So yes, in this case there is a need to nitpick.

Like I said, however, don’t take this to mean I’m defending those idiots who discriminated against Comtois, because I’m not. Their comments were reprehensible and have no place in society.

my question was and remains... was it too much to ask for '' we are against all form of _______'' ? and you decided to debate on whether or not that word should be racism or discrimination. both are fine by me !

we still haven't got a statement. get my point ?

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
That's some nice stat digging. Who said he measured with those players? Did you go look up his Prospect thread like I suggested? Before his weak draft year people were speculating he could go first. Waste of time arguing with someone who can't admit they are wrong when the facts are in front of their face.

Pot....kettle...black.

Exactly. I placed the hard facts in front of your face and you still can’t accept it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad