OT: Matthews was criminally cited in Arizona this summer, has court tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Look at the OP. The case was filed in July. Meaning he and his lawyer would have known then.

My guess, Matthews told his agent/lawyer , agent/lawyer figured they could deal with it quietly and there wasn’t a need to inform his employer.

Would they have though? It’s a misdemeanour not a criminal charge. I once was detained for public intoxication in my youth and I ended up having to pay a larger fine because I was never mailed the ticket to my current address.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I wonder if he's done something stupid before that never came out and thought this too would stay quiet?

He wouldn't be the first.

A friend was a Crown Counsel. A CFL player appeared on a DUI.

Nobody knew who he was but he told the judge in open court...it still never got out.

I'm sure several NHLers have had small incidents go unreported.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Would they have though? It’s a misdemeanour not a criminal charge. I once was detained for public intoxication in my youth and I ended up having to pay a larger fine because I was never mailed the ticket to my current address.

Yup - people who assume that Matthews must have known about this before social media did don't know much about the criminal justice system.

He may have, but he may not have.

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Is it a misdemeanour in AZ? That would explain a lot. He may not have even been aware.

Reactions: biotk

Statsman1

Oct 31, 2014
If this turns out to be the singular event that forces Matthews to become the type of captain the Leafs want him to be, or the alternate captain, or even just a leader in the locker room, then, after this passes, he'll be better for it.

He's only 22 years old, and did something dumb, and will likely be razzed about it for a while, if nothing else.

People are carrying on like he's gone completely off his feed. Why so much vitriol?

Even captain Doug Gilmour screwed up, arguably way more seriously, and we sure as heck looked past it.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Though I don't think a 22 year old being drunk and acting out of course is something that should be crucified and never forgiven. Its actually quite normal. I also do think it speaks to the Maturity level of the individual. Part of being a good leader is knowing your limits and understanding the consequences of those actions. I don't doubt that AM would be a fantastic captain one day, but I do think this incident does suggest he may not be ready yet. I actually can compare this situation in some ways to my maturity level 6 years ago vs today and why today I would consider myself having significantly better leadership skills.

klmdg

Feb 18, 2016
Do you have any women in your life? Ask one of them if she would feel comfortable getting accosted by a cursory acquaintance and his friends in the middle of the night when they are drunk. It's not a mitigating factor.

A group of drunk men tried to get into the car of a lone woman in the middle of the night. It's common sense to see that as unacceptable behavior. To empathize is common decency. Both traits of a grown-up, mature person. Feeling the need to defend that behavior is not.

It's fine to think it's not as big of a deal as some make it out to be. It's understandable to not want to throw Auston to the wolves because of this. But the behavior itself is not fine.

Yep

One of them has even insisted on sleeping in the same bed as me for the past 20 years even though I’m all elbows.

Honestly, these women in my life consume so much of my time that I simply don’t have enough available to waste it scouring the internet looking for trivial bullshit to be outraged by so I can dawn my white armour to try and convince other women I don’t know that I am forward thinking and progressive, and not just another one of these horrible, troglodytic white males who was born privileged.

Hey, I did ask one. Not only did she say she would not be comfortable in those circumstances, she also said she would never take a job in a profession that would require her to deal with such possibilities, and far worse, on a regular basis.

And believe it or not, this particular woman was raised in a military family in an unincorporated county in a Midwestern state where concealed carry is legal, in a household that contained dozens of firearms, firearms that she was trained to use before the age of 10. And despite that upbringing, she still wouldn’t work as a security guard patrolling solo overnight.

But I digress.

Let’s all get back to crucifying a kid, who in light of his public celebrity chose to pull an extremely ill-convinced, extremely stupid prank on a trained professional, and is now facing a MISDEMEANOR, the lowest criminal charge possible. THE HORROR!

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
He wouldn't be the first.

A friend was a Crown Counsel. A CFL player appeared on a DUI.

Nobody knew who he was but he told the judge in open court...it still never got out.

I'm sure several NHLers have had small incidents go unreported.

I'm sure that's the case. Nobody talked about Ian White's repeated violations until after he was traded.

Were Tie Domi's legal/criminal issues with his marriage well known? It doesn't seem like they are.

People still believe Wayne Gretzky's wife bet NHL games while he was coach of an NHL team.

Reactions: Tighthead

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Why was this incident even worth reporting and the pursuit of charges? No one was hurt, they were kids joking around after the bar.

Optics don’t look great but clearly there was no malicious motive. This is just ridiculous and anyone who is actually upset by this is a joke.

No, what he did was wrong. Lack of motive doesn’t make it okay. He doesn’t deserve to be pilloried but he deserves some punishment.

KobeBean143

VINO #24 #8 #2 MVP
Mar 13, 2015
Why was this incident even worth reporting and the pursuit of charges? No one was hurt, they were kids joking around after the bar.

Optics don’t look great but clearly there was no malicious motive. This is just ridiculous and anyone who is actually upset by this is a joke.
This this this
And doesn't change his ability to lead the boys in the locker room or on the ice
Matty for captain still for me

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
Auston not telling the Leafs is the real story IMO. I consider myself an ally but the actual indiscretion was so exceedingly minor I literally could not give a shit. Lying by omission is a big deal and is an actual character defect.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018

Anyone who tries to brush this situation off as nothing is a joke, imo.

How would you like it if you are just doing your job and a group of blackout drunk, young men start harassing you at 2am? No body deserves that.

Auston should not be named captain. Especially considering he never even told the leafs.

klmdg

Feb 18, 2016

How would you like it if you are just doing your job and a group of blackout drunk, young men start harassing you at 2am? No body deserves that.

Auston should not be named captain. Especially considering he never even told the leafs.

Her job is ‘security guard’ and she patrols a beat, much like a cop.

By definition, the sole function of her job is to deal with potentially criminal behaviour in order to secure the safety of private property and the people who work or reside within such property.

Reactions: hoglund

IronHalen

Feb 7, 2013

Ummm like it or not if there weren’t people like that there would most likely not be security guard positions at various establishments.. that’s something you sign up for unfortunately taking a job like that.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Auston not telling the Leafs is the real story IMO. I consider myself an ally but the actual indiscretion was so exceedingly minor I literally could not give a ****. Lying by omission is a big deal and is an actual character defect.

That’s assuming he knew, it wasn’t like he had a warrant out for his arrest.

Reactions: Mitch Tavares

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
How fast is this thread going to spiral out of control. Soon people will be wondering if Auston was on the grassy knoll.
This is why many players don't want to play in Toronto, they're spotlight is on and everything they do is reported and usually blown out of proportion. If he's playing for the Blue Jackets or Hurricanes, this would be on the backpage of the newspapers or not even reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad