OT: Matthews was criminally cited in Arizona this summer, has court tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
I have yet to see any evidence that Matthews' knew about this charge a while ago and concealed it from the team. The only thing I have seen is that the team just found out. Matthews may have just found out as well.

Agree. Too many unknowns and assumptions.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
You can post BS narratives and they'll stay. But facts that prove they're BS...those gotta go.

Gotta love 2019

Reactions: klmdg

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
I worked at McDonald's in high school and the amount of drunk morons coming in late at night was unreal. Someone threw a stink bomb in the washroom once.

Quick, Stamkos4life, can you please jump onto your high horse and condemn these people?

Rofl

Are you trying to say that the people who threw a stink bomb in your mcd's bathroom shouldnt be condemned?

Also, it's a bit different when its auston Matthew's, professional hockey player vs random guy from town. Both should be puncished/ held responsible. But one has higher expectations of then the other.

klmdg

Feb 18, 2016
So you think people should be allowed to prank police officers? After all, they are "trained proffessional(s) whose sole job function is to deal with misbehaving idiots..."?

You would be gravely mistaken if you think it's fine.

Yes, I said people should be allowed allowed to prank cops. Those were my exact words.

Reading comprehension is obviously is short supply around these here parts.

Reactions: TheNewKid

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Security guard chatting the next day with a co-worker:

"Last night was pretty quiet except this group of rowdy drunk guys acting up to get rise out of me."

"Anything happen?"

"Nothing really. One of the idiots mooned me with his boxers on. I told them to move on and they did."

"Did you get where they were from?"

"Unit ???"

"Really? Was one of them a tall athletic guy in his early 20's?"

"Yeah, I think."

"Is he this guy? <shows phone>"

"Yes."

"Do you know who he is? The guy's a hockey player, worth a fortune."

<suddenly gets an idea on how to escape working a crappy overnight security job>

I really think this is a nothing issue, but I don't love the implication that she is only trying to get a pay day. I guess I hope she reported it because she realized she'd get in trouble if she didn't, unless of course she was really terrified and debating whether to come forward then she was right to do so.

False allegations are the reason its so hard for real victims to come forward and all the shit they have to go through in order to see a crumb of justice, so I hope she reported this because she genuinely was scared and felt harassed.

I really do think its a case of she maybe told someone back at the office and they told her to report it due to protocol as opposed to her being harassed, because if I was scared of something bad happening while I was in a car you bet your ass im not getting out of that car to confront the group that's the bit that makes me think this is a nothing issue that just got into the hands of higher ups

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Yes, I said people should be allowed allowed to prank cops. Those were my exact words.

Reading comprehension is obviously is short supply around these here parts.

Can you quote where you said "people should be allowed to prank cops"?

Also, "they should" and "they are" are totally different things.

Go try pranking a police officer right now and then let us know what happened.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
The point was obvious. Just like people lambasted Kane (as well as others) and now no one cares, in a few months no one will care about Matthews. Sorry if that was hard to follow.

Oh really? That was your point?
Well, for starters, you're wrong - this is Leafsland, lovers and haters alike come out in full force, and at the end of the season, unless there's a Stanley Cup, no, it won't be quickly forgotten.

But it's not much of a moral statement or point of view to simply deflect poor judgement / bad behaviour by dismissing it with "everyone will forget later" . . . people have every right to be disappointed and upset without having to listen to people defend stupidity.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Who are you to tell me when to post?

This is a hockey forum. Posters can post as they please. You would do well to remember that.

Are you a female with PTSD?

Look, I am pretty far away from being a feminist, but you have to know that 4 big men, auston is 6'3" 220, not sure about the other guys, trying to open a female's car door at 2am is going to set off some alarms. Then when she gets out to tell them off they laugh at her and one guy even pulls down his pants and bends over in front of you, she is going to make a big deal out of it.

Way to down play the situation though, "giggling college kids" rofl

You’re really milking the female angle. Wouldn’t be any different if the person in the vehicle was a man. The security officer’s personal anxieties do not increase the severity of Matthews’ actions.

This may be shocking to hear, but that exact scenario probably happens frequently in any college town in North America. The officer was subjected to seeing a grown man’s underwear as he and his friends walked away laughing... oh the horror! Must... press... CHARGES!

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Because that's what I said. Babcock threw oil on the flames by not having Matthews back. Could have kept this in-house, now it's a big story because he didn't tell management. Terrible PR move

babcock is not the type to "have someones back" we have seen it time and time again. The only time he has a players back is when he shoving them under the bus. The man takes responsibility for nothing, look how he and dubas talked after last years playoffs. Dubas to a fault took all the blame, babs shifted blame to anyone and everyone.

Reactions: HomerJLeafs

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Cool, they deserve to be punished if they are harassing people.

He received a summons for a misdemeaner. I am as outraged about this as I am at an NHL player who gets a speeding ticket.

People who have never had friends or been out drinking can be as outraged as they want and can be the saviours (in their own minds) of all the people who are working at 2am who have to deal with drunks. Of course, if it wasn't for those drunks, most of those people wouldn't have jobs.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Oh really? That was your point?
Well, for starters, you're wrong - this is Leafsland, lovers and haters alike come out in full force, and at the end of the season, unless there's a Stanley Cup, no, it won't be quickly forgotten.

But it's not much of a moral statement or point of view to simply deflect poor judgement / bad behaviour by dismissing it with "everyone will forget later" . . . people have every right to be disappointed and upset without having to listen to people defend stupidity.

this bolded statement is why no leaf takes a discount.

Reactions: kb

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I’d be shocked if they comment on it at all. It’s standard practice not to.
They have in a sense with it coming out that they didn't know.
If Matthews in fact didn't know they could have expanded on that.

Agree, don't comment on the details.

Reactions: kb

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
He received a summons for a misdemeaner. I am as outraged about this as I am at an NHL player who gets a speeding ticket.

People who have never had friends or been out drinking can be as outraged as they want and can be the saviours (in their own minds) of all the people who are working at 2am who have to deal with drunks. Of course, if it wasn't for those drunks, most of those people wouldn't have jobs.

Yes, we should thank criminals for giving police officers work.

Where do you get these ideas from?

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I've been harrassed by both men and woman after late nights at the bar, and I didnt sign up for a job where I would expect to deal with those things. Does that make me a victim too? Can I press charges? He acted like a drunken fool, theres nothing more to it than that.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Who are you to tell me when to post?

This is a hockey forum. Posters can post as they please. You would do well to remember that.

Are you a female with PTSD?

Look, I am pretty far away from being a feminist, but you have to know that 4 big men, auston is 6'3" 220, not sure about the other guys, trying to open a female's car door at 2am is going to set off some alarms. Then when she gets out to tell them off they laugh at her and one guy even pulls down his pants and bends over in front of you, she is going to make a big deal out of it.

Way to down play the situation though, "giggling college kids" rofl
you are a female with ptsd and you take a job where confrontation is at the core of your duties?

you know "security guard". not crossing guard.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
You’re really milking the female angle. Wouldn’t be any different if the person in the vehicle was a man. The security officer’s personal anxieties do not increase the severity of Matthews’ actions.

This may be shocking to hear, but that exact scenario probably happens frequently in any college town in North America. The officer was subjected to seeing a grown man’s underwear as he and his friends walked away laughing... oh the horror! Must... press... CHARGES!

imagine Matthews had a shit stain on his boxers? thatd be way more embarrassing.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
You’re assuming he is already guilty.
Well he is apologizing for his behaviour--and I did say to let the law take it's course. With video of all of this, the statement from the victim and Matthews' apology for his actions-if quite belated-what would an unbiased observer reasonably believe? I am not implying that he had criminal intent to harass or otherwise assault the victim. The facts as reported speak for themselves and objectionable behaviour by a bunch of young drunks shows stupidity and lack of mature judgment. A quick apology and some compensation on the table for distress along with some community service to avoid court proceedings would probably have been considered by MLSE legal eagles if brought to their attention. Head in the sand is another sign of immaturity. Look-this is not the end of the world for Matthews or Leafs--but fans blaming the woman, or disrespecting her fears in this situation just does not cut it. He has apologized-the first step.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Causing a negative experience/emotion in someone else for his own entertainment? He thought scaring a woman who was alone at night was just a joke?

I'm seething at this. What a despicable thing to do.
What does her being a woman have to do with it? Would you be ok with it if it were a male security guard?

Anyway, I will reserve judgement until a full story comes out. It seems we never learn in such cases. Always so quick to jump to conclusions.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
And after her shift...she was in her car and her shift was done.

She did her rounds and then was doing paperwork in her car. The complaint does not say that she was done her shift - and indeed said that she completed her subsequent rounds after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad