OT: Matthews was criminally cited in Arizona this summer, has court tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I worked at McDonald's in high school and the amount of drunk morons coming in late at night was unreal. Someone threw a stink bomb in the washroom once.

Quick, Stamkos4life, can you please jump onto your high horse and condemn these people?

Exactly.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Security guard chatting the next day with a co-worker:

"Last night was pretty quiet except this group of rowdy drunk guys acting up to get rise out of me."

"Anything happen?"

"Nothing really. One of the idiots mooned me with his boxers on. I told them to move on and they did."

"Did you get where they were from?"

"Unit ???"

"Really? Was one of them a tall athletic guy in his early 20's?"

"Yeah, I think."

"Is he this guy? <shows phone>"

"Yes."

"Do you know who he is? The guy's a hockey player, worth a fortune."

<suddenly gets an idea on how to escape working a crappy overnight security job>

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I wonder if part of Matthew thought process not informing the team, he was worried it could impact the captaincy decision.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Chris18820

Nov 11, 2018
Really, that's the angle you guys are going with?

So does that mean its fine to harass police officers or military personnel?

They signed up for their job and they have to deal with violence and bad situations.

Still doesnt make it okay to do what auston did. I'm slightly surprised people are still defending him but then again, us leaf fans can be crazy.
What he did was stupid and the optics of not telling the org are bad. That being said I could give two shits about her being uncomfortable.
She is a security guard. Her job is to deal with uncomfortable situations. If this is a problem then she is UNFIT for the job.
Lots of people have jobs where they have to deal with bad situations daily.
What he did was a dumb druken prank. Reilly should be the captain anyway...

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
You’ve made your point and have made your opinion heard, move on. You’re offended, we all get it.

If I’m the security guard in the same situation, as long as there isn’t any seemingly malicious motive or destruction of property, I’d laugh it off as a bunch of dumb college kids joking around and then move on with my night immediately. But then again, it’s not in my personality to victimize myself or look for ways to be offended.

Harassing? A bunch of giggling college kids messing around after the bar on their way home... SHOCKING SCENES IN ARIZONA.

Who are you to tell me when to post?

This is a hockey forum. Posters can post as they please. You would do well to remember that.

Are you a female with PTSD?

Look, I am pretty far away from being a feminist, but you have to know that 4 big men, auston is 6'3" 220, not sure about the other guys, trying to open a female's car door at 2am is going to set off some alarms. Then when she gets out to tell them off they laugh at her and one guy even pulls down his pants and bends over in front of you, she is going to make a big deal out of it.

Way to down play the situation though, "giggling college kids" rofl

Reactions: qqaz

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I hope he tears up the league now with intensity and purpose.
After Kane had the long and difficult allegation issue a few years back he went ballistic on the league.
I can’t see Matthews being named captain now but who knows.
And as everyone else is adding opinion: it was an insensitive prank gone wrong. He learned from it and so will kids that hear about it. Luckily Matthews didn’t get capped: the danger to himself for being thoughtless is the most profound aspect of the scenario.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Just pointing out the obvious. It was part of her complaint afterall.

Her having a job that was a bad fit, even if that is the case, isn't a crime.

Harassing someone is a crime.

The victim did nothing wrong. Nothing. Matthews was in the wrong. Legally and morally.

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
Causing a negative experience/emotion in someone else for his own entertainment? He thought scaring a woman who was alone at night was just a joke?

I'm seething at this. What a despicable thing to do.

If true it was a very silly and immature thing to do. But he hasn’t been found guilty of anything.

Reactions: kb

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
What he did was stupid and the optics of not telling the org are bad. That being said I could give two ****s about her being uncomfortable.
She is a security guard. Her job is to deal with uncomfortable situations. If this is a problem then she is UNFIT for the job.
Lots of people have jobs where they have to deal with bad situations daily.
What he did was a dumb druken prank. Reilly should be the captain anyway...

I agree with you but there is a difference in responding to uncomfortable situations, which is her job, and being directly harrassed, which is not her job.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
The position involves dealing with idiots and drunk people in order to protect or guard certain locations. It's not like he went up to a barista at Starbucks and started harassing her.
It's wrong what they did, but you're right it's part of the job, not a good part, but certainly is to be expected.

Reactions: klmdg

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Security guard chatting the next day with a co-worker:

"Last night was pretty quiet except this group of rowdy drunk guys acting up to get rise out of me."

"Anything happen?"

"Nothing really. One of the idiots mooned me with his boxers on. I told them to move on and they did."

"Did you get where they were from?"

"Unit ???"

"Really? Was one of them a tall athletic guy in his early 20's?"

"Yeah, I think."

"Is he this guy? <shows phone>"

"Yes."

"Do you know who he is? The guy's a hockey player, worth a fortune."

<suddenly gets an idea on how to escape working a crappy overnight security job>
yeah but can you think straight when you have "severe" ptsd

I wonder what the other gradients are, mild ptsd, luke warm ptsd....

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Have most people here seriously never worked a job where they were harassed by drunk people at 2am?
To me the question is not whether Matthews acted like a drunken privileged idiot. He did. Nor is the question whether young guys (and gals) sometime get drunk and do stupid things they would not normally do and regret later. They do. Nor is the question whether the law should take its normal course. It should. The question is whether in acting like he did and then concealing the behaviour from his employers who have contract provisions about behaviour and who were considering making him captain and the face of their franchise shows a lack of maturity which takes him out of consideration at this time for Leaf captaincy. It does.

klmdg

Feb 18, 2016
Really, that's the angle you guys are going with?

So does that mean its fine to harass police officers or military personnel?

They signed up for their job and they have to deal with violence and bad situations.

Still doesnt make it okay to do what auston did. I'm slightly surprised people are still defending him but then again, us leaf fans can be crazy.

I am not defending his stupidity or actions, and I never said it is okay to harass security guards or cops.

What I did say is that grown adults who make the decision to work in such professions knowingly accept the risks that are inherently involved with those jobs.

Her job, the thing that she chose to do of her own free will, exists solely to deal with potentially criminal behaviour.

People who attempt to negate that fact need to get a grip and move back into the realm of reality.

Matthews did not attempt to prank some random person doing some random job.

He attempted to prank a trained professional whose sole job function is to deal with misbehaving idiots, like Matthews, and other criminals.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Thankfully most realize that there is two sides to every story. I'll wait until I hear from Mathews before I start forming an opinion.

Suppose Mathews and his friends are coming home and spot the buildings security guard asleep slumped over the steering wheel. They tap on the window to either wake her (she supposedly is working even though it's 2 am) Suppose she doesn't respond and they now try to open the door as maybe something more serious has affected the guard.

The guard awakens embarrassed and now words are exchanged. Mathews walks away and the guard still yells his way berating him. He now sort of flips her the bird with his half moon, walking away. How bad is that? The cops never talked to him so they only have the guards story and decide to charge him. It is plausable that it could have happened that way.

Something that started out as a good deed turned into a couple of young people yelling at each other. We only know half of it so far.

Reactions: TMLuniverse and kb

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Have most people here seriously never worked a job where they were harassed by drunk people at 2am?

I mean maybe that shouldn't surprise me.

But there are tons of drunks out at 2am. There are lots of people who are working at 2am who come in contact with drunk people. Most drunk people act like dummies and jerks at 2 am.

Cool, they deserve to be punished if they are harassing people.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Of course it Babcock's fault, just like it's the security guard's fault and the media and everyone else not named Auston Matthews. You Leaf fans are priceless!

Because that's what I said. Babcock threw oil on the flames by not having Matthews back. Could have kept this in-house, now it's a big story because he didn't tell management. Terrible PR move

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
To me the question is not whether Matthews acted like a drunken privileged idiot. He did. Nor is the question whether young guys (and gals) sometime get drunk and do stupid things they would not normally do and regret later. They do. Nor is the question whether the law should take its normal course. It should. The question is whether in acting like he did and then concealing the behaviour from his employers who have contract provisions about behaviour and who were considering making him captain and the face of their franchise shows a lack of maturity which takes him out of consideration at this time for Leaf captaincy. It does.

You’re assuming he is already guilty.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
I am not defending his stupidity or actions, and I never said it is okay to harass security guards or cops.

What I did say is that grown adults who make the decision to work in such professions knowingly accept the risks that are inherently involved with those jobs.

Her job, the thing that she chose to do of her own free will, exists solely to deal with potentially criminal behaviour.

People who attempt to negate that fact need to get a grip and move back into the realm of reality.

Matthews did not attempt to prank some random person doing some random job.

He attempted to prank a trained professional whose sole job function is to deal with misbehaving idiots, like Matthews, and other criminals.

So you think people should be allowed to prank police officers? After all, they are "trained proffessional(s) whose sole job function is to deal with misbehaving idiots..."?

You would be gravely mistaken if you think it's fine.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Causing a negative experience/emotion in someone else for his own entertainment? He thought scaring a woman who was alone at night was just a joke?

I'm seething at this. What a despicable thing to do.

When is a security officer not a security officer?

Answer: When she's a victim, you sexist pig.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
The question is whether in acting like he did and then concealing the behaviour from his employers who have contract provisions about behaviour and who were considering making him captain and the face of their franchise shows a lack of maturity which takes him out of consideration at this time for Leaf captaincy. It does.

I have yet to see any evidence that Matthews' knew about this charge a while ago and concealed it from the team. The only thing I have seen is that the team just found out. Matthews may have just found out as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->