Matthews vs MacKinnon vs Dahlin - Who do you take moving forward?

Who do you take first moving forward, taking everything into account? Rank your choices

• Total voters

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Picking Dahlin over either forward is like taking Ekblad over Seguin/Hall after his rookie season.

Also, if the votes are suggesting that most people wouldn't trade Dahlin for Matthews, that sure is interesting.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Matthews has shown more promise than Mackinnon. I can’t even imagine where Matthews will be in two years, let alone three. And Matthews has also shown more promise than Dahlin.

1. Matthews

Between Dahlin and Mackinnon, I think Dahlin will have the higher upside.

2. Dahlin
3. Mackinnon
Matthews shows more promise because that's all he has shown in comparison to Mackinnon.

Mackinnon has put up back to back 95+ point seasons...

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
Matthews shows more promise because that's all he has shown in comparison to Mackinnon.

Mackinnon has put up back to back 95+ point seasons...
i dont even buy the more promise thing, mackinon was a hart nominee who had a very good chance of winning, matthews hasnt even shown the promise of being the best player on his team, yet alone the entire league.

Reactions: Snowman

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
i dont even buy the more promise thing, mackinon was a hart nominee who had a very good chance of winning, matthews hasnt even shown the promise of being the best player on his team, yet alone the entire league.
My point as that Matthews is all promise compared to a guy like MacKinnon, who has already reached the heights Matthews can only dream of reaching at this point.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
My point as that Matthews is all promise compared to a guy like MacKinnon, who has already reached the heights Matthews can only dream of reaching at this point.

Why's everyone forgetting that MacKinnon was hot ass garbage during his first FOUR seasons in the league, while Matthews was a PPG player his 2nd season lmao. "Matthews can only dream of reaching at this point"

Yes MacKinnon has been great for two seasons, but let's not pretend he's on a completely different tier unattainable by Matthews

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I think the easy answer here is Matthews first. The best 5 on 5 goalscorer in the NHL is way too valuable to pass up when most of the game is played at even strength.

Then I would take MacK over Dahlin, but its close. Dahlin is highly touted but hasn't really proven much yet.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's Matthews, Mackinnon and then Dahlin.

Matthews has outscored Mackinnon by 50 points over the course of their ELC's and his PPG average has gone up significantly every year.

Dahlin's having a great rookie year, but the Sabres continuing to be hot garbage would seem to indicate he isn't quite the generational defenseman messiah at this point in time.

Reactions: WilliamNylander

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
You don’t even notice Matthews sometimes when you watch the Leafs play. I hope I notice him tonight ‘cause I want the Leafs to beat the Sens in regulation. :D

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Matthews is probably the best high profile prospect in the past 10 years after McDavid when it comes to delivering on promises though. Who in the past 10 years as a high profile draft pick has had a start to their career that has been as consistent/close to expectations?

It's true MacKinnon shot up 2 years ago to a level that is near league best, and a level Matthews isn't at yet - but it's not like it's completely unrealistic to see Matthews reach that level either. "Can only dream of reaching" - that's a big exaggeration.

It's Matthews, Mackinnon and then Dahlin.

Matthews has outscored Mackinnon by 50 points over the course of their ELC's and his PPG average has gone up significantly every year.

Dahlin's having a great rookie year, but the Sabres continuing to be hot garbage would seem to indicate he isn't quite the generational defenseman messiah at this point in time.

Weren't the Pens hot garbage during Crosby's rookie year too? They even had Lemieux there still. Imo that's stupid. Give Dahlin at least 2-3 years to better judge the impact he's going to have on a team. You can still judge him individually now for his season - but in terms of the impact he'll have on carrying a team he needs more time.

I'd argue that if all 3 players reach their ceilings (big if) - Dahlin will have the biggest impact on his team.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews is already producing at a 90 point pace, in season 3. Even if he remained a consistent 90 point player, that’s still better than the ups and downs of what Mackinnon has done. That being said, Matthews has given me no reason to believe he’ll stop progressing at age 21. It’s more likely, and anyone would agree it’s more likely, that he would get better as he ages and gets more experience past age 21 and past season 3.
being on pace and actual production are 2 different things

back in October when AM was on his hot streak, people were saying he was the best player in the world and that he would contend for the AR and Rocket

where is he now? pace doesn't mean shit and y'all need to get out of this fantasy. the fact is, is that AM is showing signs of being injury prone, and if that is the case, it GREATLY hinders him moving forward for any GM wanting him. y'all don't wanna bring that up but it's facts

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
A case could be made for both MacKinnon and Dahlin as the first pick here.

Matthews is a clear and obvious tier below both.

tenor.gif

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

back in October when AM was on his hot streak, people were saying he was the best player in the world and that he would contend for the AR and Rocket

where is he now? pace doesn't mean **** and y'all need to get out of this fantasy. the fact is, is that AM is showing signs of being injury prone, and if that is the case, it GREATLY hinders him moving forward for any GM wanting him. y'all don't wanna bring that up but it's facts

If you talk to Crosby Stans on here pace means a lot... :dunno:

Reactions: varank

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

where is he now? pace doesn't mean **** and y'all need to get out of this fantasy. the fact is, is that AM is showing signs of being injury prone, and if that is the case, it GREATLY hinders him moving forward for any GM wanting him. y'all don't wanna bring that up but it's facts

:laugh:

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Why's everyone forgetting that MacKinnon was hot ass garbage during his first FOUR seasons in the league, while Matthews was a PPG player his 2nd season lmao. "Matthews can only dream of reaching at this point"

Yes MacKinnon has been great for two seasons, but let's not pretend he's on a completely different tier unattainable by Matthews
That's definitely a reasonable way to sum it up. I definitely agree because I completely forgot about his "first four years being "hot ass garbage". Btw you have a way with words.

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto
If Matthews gets four more points this season, he would have as many points in his first three seasons as Mackinnon had in his first four. In 90 less games! The poll is asking who are you taking moving forward and while Mackinnon may be on a different level now, Matthews has utterly dominated Mackinnon's numbers after their first three years. If Mackinnon played in Toronto imagine the amount of shit he would have taken after his first few years in the league

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

It's not that he can't do it, but I'm not going to talk about him like he's already done it. He needs to do it.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Matthews is probably the best high profile prospect in the past 10 years after McDavid when it comes to delivering on promises though. Who in the past 10 years as a high profile draft pick has had a start to their career that has been as consistent/close to expectations?

It's true MacKinnon shot up 2 years ago to a level that is near league best, and a level Matthews isn't at yet - but it's not like it's completely unrealistic to see Matthews reach that level either. "Can only dream of reaching" - that's a big exaggeration.

Weren't the Pens hot garbage during Crosby's rookie year too? They even had Lemieux there still. Imo that's stupid. Give Dahlin at least 2-3 years to better judge the impact he's going to have on a team. You can still judge him individually now for his season - but in terms of the impact he'll have on carrying a team he needs more time.

I'd argue that if all 3 players reach their ceilings (big if) - Dahlin will have the biggest impact on his team.
Are you asking how many players his age have produced at a point per game pace outside of 7 games that look like they're an outlier at this point? Quite a few. There's a kid in Vancouver with a lot less experience putting on a show every night right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad