Matthews vs. Barkov

Who is better?

• Total voters

goblin3

Mar 23, 2014
Not mad. But he hasn't hit a 100. He also hasn't won a selke. So to say first of many when he's accomplished neither is just funny. Matthews is a 60 goal guy. Hasn't done it, hasn't ever hit 50 but he's pacing for it. So I'll just call him a 60 goal guy from now on cause why not. So now that we agree facts don't matter in this discussion. Matthews is clearly better
You can just say you dont know what ~ means.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Not mad. But he hasn't hit a 100. He also hasn't won a selke. So to say first of many when he's accomplished neither is just funny. Matthews is a 60 goal guy. Hasn't done it, hasn't ever hit 50 but he's pacing for it. So I'll just call him a 60 goal guy from now on cause why not. So now that we agree facts don't matter in this discussion. Matthews is clearly better

The only way its clearly matthews is if you think facts don't matter.

When looking at facts its close and some prefer barkov.

Its not outlandish or that complicated tbh.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Matthews scores twice as much as Barkov and almost ties him in assists. This year he has 9 more points than Barkov despite missing a few games and 2 less on the PP.

Matthews shoots a lot more, hits more and blocks more shot.

I have no stat to evaluate hockey IQ and defensive play, but that would be the only 2 departments where I would give Barkov the edge and it's probably closer than most people think.

Ive said it earlier in the thread, but I take Matthews over Barkov in my team and in my fantasy .

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
Matthews scores twice as much as Barkov and almost ties him in assists. This year he has 9 more points than Barkov despite missing a few games and 2 less on the PP.

Matthews shoots a lot more, hits more and blocks more shot.

I have no stat to evaluate hockey IQ and defensive play, but that would be the only 2 departments where I would give Barkov the edge and it's probably closer than most people think.

Ive said it earlier in the thread, but I take Matthews over Barkov in my team and in my fantasy .
you aren't even trying. barkov has played 37 games

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He definitely had periods of dominant two-way play since his 2nd season, but this year he has been on another level entirely. Truly the 2nd best player in the world without any debate, Barkov has a good case for 4th best forward this season.

Is there any statistical evidence to back this up? His "against" metrics aren't exactly showing this.

(At 5on5 among forwards with 400+ minutes played):
CA/60 - 48.69 (49th)
FA/60 - 37.07 (53rd)
SA/60 - 25.98 (36th)
GA/60 - 2.03 (66th)
xGA/60 - 1.97 (53rd)
SCA/60 - 22.01 (31st)
HDCA/60 - 8.63 (42nd)

He's been good, but has he been as good as you're suggesting? Maybe someone has RAPM charts or something to prove otherwise, but his against metrics don't scream "dominant defensively".

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Is there any statistical evidence to back this up? His "against" metrics aren't exactly showing this.

(At 5on5 among forwards with 400+ minutes played):
CA/60 - 48.69 (49th)
FA/60 - 37.07 (53rd)
SA/60 - 25.98 (36th)
GA/60 - 2.03 (66th)
xGA/60 - 1.97 (53rd)
SCA/60 - 22.01 (31st)
HDCA/60 - 8.63 (42nd)

He's been good, but has he been as good as you're suggesting? Maybe someone has RAPM charts or something to prove otherwise, but his against metrics don't scream "dominant defensively".

I said two-way, as in offense and defense.

Keep in mind he also had that lingering wrist injury where he wasn't as engaged all over the ice.

Then there are these stats Best Advanced Stats Resources

Then his rank since 2017 is only behind McDavid. Wins Above Replacement — High Level Overview

Not saying those are without flaws but it's pretty clear he's the best ES player in the league this year anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zybalto

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
upload_2021-4-17_19-42-44.png

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Lol this is a weak argument.

In the month of April, Matthews has 8 goals in 7 games. Barkov has 5 goals in 8. Not to mention Matthews incredible gpg during the entire season. Trying to find an inbetween segment where Barkov's gpg is slightly higher than Matthews during a season where Matthews has 32 goals in 40 games is certainly something lol.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Yeah, Michael Bunting is going to put up 55 goals next season.

Regardless, but he’s not in the poll unfortunately.

I still like Barkov on any team, but if you need a deadly scorer.. eh, Matthew’s had one year without Marner, right? Idk, I just wish we could adjust for their extra soul-bond stats. Matthews is making me reconsider, how about that?

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Regardless, but he’s not in the poll unfortunately.

I still like Barkov on any team, but if you need a deadly scorer.. eh, Matthew’s had one year without Marner, right? Idk, I just wish we could adjust for their extra soul-bond stats. Matthews is making me reconsider, how about that?

Matthews/Marner is a fairly new thing on a regular line. Babcock always resisted pairing them for some reason.

Since Matthews came into the league, he has around 1370 5v5 minutes with Marner and around 3500 minutes without him.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Matthews/Marner is a fairly new thing on a regular line. Babcock always resisted pairing them for some reason.

Since Matthews came into the league, he has around 1370 5v5 minutes with Marner and around 3500 minutes without him.

Ya but that’s the part where I’d potentially consider him ahead.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I like Barkov as a player and he gets underrated playing in Florida but no legit hockey person who works for any team would take Barkov over Matthews. Auston is the better player as good as Barkov is.......

Reactions: olli and authentic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Lol this is a weak argument.

In the month of April, Matthews has 8 goals in 7 games. Barkov has 5 goals in 8. Not to mention Matthews incredible gpg during the entire season. Trying to find an inbetween segment where Barkov's gpg is slightly higher than Matthews during a season where Matthews has 32 goals in 40 games is certainly something lol.

Especially since that time frame lines up well with the wrist injury Matthews was playing through.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
I'd say Matthews isn't better than Barkov same reason why Ovechkin isn't better than Crosby.
Not a good comparison since ovi is a winger and the rest are all centres, and Barkov is the weak link among the 4 offensively if we are talking in Sid and ovis prime.

Would you take 55-60 goal Stamkos or Bergeron at his best? Cause if your answer is Stamkos you pick Matthews in this poll no doubt.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Not a good comparison since ovi is a winger and the rest are all centres, and Barkov is the weak link among the 4 offensively if we are talking in Sid and ovis prime.

Would you take 55-60 goal Stamkos or Bergeron at his best? Cause if your answer is Stamkos you pick Matthews in this poll no doubt.

Matthews is closer to Barkov defensively than he is to 60 goal Stamkos anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad