Rumor: Matthews Suspension 2 Games

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I always stay away from the main boards. I only care about the Leafs, so I couldn't care less about any other team. I'm content here.
I read and occasionally post on several teams' boards, as well as on the main ones.

The individual boards are interesting. If you read enough of them you learn:

- very few fans of any team mention the refs when their team wins

- a fair number of fans of any team blame the refs when their team loses

- a large number of fans of every team know for certain that the refs and the league are biased against their team

- lots of fans of every team believe that the main boards are a cesspool who's sole purpose is to provide a place for fans of other teams to mindlessly insult their team.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” Mark Twain

SoVi3t

Sep 16, 2009
Your job isn’t as hard as being an NHL referee. The biggest issue is that people seem to think the referees get the same angle as the TV cameras, and think that just because it was obvious on TV it means the referees should have called it. Half the people on here complaining about referees don’t even know basic rules. The number of people that pointed at the linesman (who can’t call a minor penalty) and said he was a moron for not calling the hook on Matthews was embarrassing.

I can only think of one Leaf game that I can remember thinking that the referees decided the game, and that was the playoff game vs the Bruins.

Missed calls happen all the time, and they go in favour of the Leafa just as often as they go against.

Can you really call it a missed call, when you're looking directly at the play and doing nothing?

If I work at McDonalds, look directly at the french fries as they burn, and say I must have missed it, I would no longer work at that McDonalds.

If their job is so tough, maybe we need more refs on the ice?

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
There's really nothing the Leafs can do if the league insists on making an example of them at every opportunity.

The only thing I can think is we stop sending our star players to the ASG or other events to promote the league.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Can you really call it a missed call, when you're looking directly at the play and doing nothing?

If I work at McDonalds, look directly at the french fries as they burn, and say I must have missed it, I would no longer work at that McDonalds.

If their job is so tough, maybe we need more refs on the ice?

Even if they’re looking directly at a play that looks like a penalty from the TV screen doesn’t mean it looks like one from ice level.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
If you call standing less then 10 feet away from both clearly obvious easy calls. "missing a few calls" not doing their job, that's on you. I call it incompetence at best. Where do I sing up to be a NHL ref, the standards don't need to be all that high. Shouldn't the best league in the world have the best reffed games?

First thing you need to do is skate at an NHL level. Are you still qualified?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Even if they’re looking directly at a play that looks like a penalty from the TV screen doesn’t mean it looks like one from ice level.
I wouldn't let them off the hook that easily. It's their job to understand and interpret what's happening. We've seen some pretty bad screw ups.

You mentioned that Boston playoff game, we had the recent OT goal against. It wasn't angles or things looking different in those circumstances, it's a poor choice of game management by the officials and that's also when they get themselves into the most trouble

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
It honestly baffles me as to why the Leafs management doesn’t speak out against these blatant inconsistencies.

I mean, in a very short period of time, posters here have compiled a caravan of clips and factoids that prove how ridiculous the DOPS is.

I’m thinking MLSE can handle the fine for voicing their frustration, no?

So management is really not gonna say anything eh?

Well that's a big nail in the coffin of losing Matthews at the end of his contract.
Management could be trying to address it away from the public eye, you don't know for sure.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Leafs need to take the 250K fine and speak out and demand Parros' resignation for inconsistency in doling out suspensions just like the Rangers did and if they need the $ we can crowdfund it lol.

This should have been done after Spezza's f***ing 6 game suspension when he didn't have so much as a single suspension for the previous 1100 games he played.

How can it possibly get worse for the Leafs? They don't get calls? Well they already don't get shit called for them. Can the suspensions get worse? Well that would only prove the Leafs right.

This league is an absolute joke.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Any word from Shanny or Dubas on the suspension?
They BOTH need to be fired IMHO. Their silence is just supporting the obvious anti-Leafs NHL bias !!!

The Spezza now Matthews suspensions when other just as egregious player violations went unpunished or garnered just a small fine !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: JT AM da real deal

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
I read and occasionally post on several teams' boards, as well as on the main ones.

The individual boards are interesting. If you read enough of them you learn:

- very few fans of any team mention the refs when their team wins

- a fair number of fans of any team blame the refs when their team loses

- a large number of fans of every team know for certain that the refs and the league are biased against their team

- lots of fans of every team believe that the main boards are a cesspool who's sole purpose is to provide a place for fans of other teams to mindlessly insult their team.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” Mark Twain
Nice, I don't know how that applies to a team like the Leafs, who consistently have finished in the bottom group of teams with the least powerplays in the last 5 years. With a star player that has only had ~6 penalties caught committed against them.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
You know what, I'd be alright with the 2 games IF it were to be the start of them consistently handing out these types of suspensions (& on-ice calls), a new era where they crack down on a lot more of these. Leafs & Matthews would get the short end of it in this instance, but going forward it'd be good for the game.

What are the odds of that happening though... :laugh:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Even with a good sleep to think about it the 2 game suspension is flat out wrong .. 18 cross checks to head reviewed and not 1 suspension from them only FINES .. then you have a Lady Byng candidate without any prior history of suspension .. and you have 2 guys having a tough shift back and forth giving it to each other so there is no malicious intent there at all .. and you have guy who received cross check saying it was nothing .. and guy who did it saying his stick rolled up guy shoulder .. it all ends up with a crystal clear Jacobs/Bettman/Parros Leafs hate on and a way for Bruins to catch leafs faster .. and like poster above mentioned nothing from Shanny at all .. if this was crosby you would have lots of uproar and sh*t coming down from stands on refs at their next game .. but Shanny is thinking about his next gig back at NHL of course .. da whole thing SMELLS bad .. Larry it is time for ACTION

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Ok, just hope this is the bar set in the future for all teams.
I highly doubt that !!! The Leafs have a waiting list for seasons tickets. If the NHL punishes other teams the way they punish our Leafs, there would be empty rinks around the League. No other fan bases would put up with the BS we Leaf fans do !!! For every Leaf fan that cancels their seasons tickets, there are 100 more that will buy them. The NHL knows this all too well and goes out of their way to exploit this by punishing our Leafs harshly at every turn.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Keefe showed no balls when asked about the suspension. Good lord, "league makes their decision and we move on" .. Grow some balls and speak out.

Publicly calling them out serves little to no purpose. Their private conversations with the league, which no doubt happened, are the only ones that actually matter

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
You know what, I'd be alright with the 2 games IF it were to be the start of them consistently handing out these types of suspensions (& on-ice calls), a new era where they crack down on a lot more of these. Leafs & Matthews would get the short end of it in this instance, but going forward it'd be good for the game.

What are the odds of that happening though... :laugh:

No chance and I partly blame TSN and Sportsnet for it too.

Any time a Leaf does anything....2 mins later: "How many games is this?"

Other games go completely under the radar even though the DoPS looks at every play but since there is no coverage for it, there is no outrage for it not being a suspension.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad