Rumor: Matthews Suspension 2 Games

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
Weird for the 1ST time offender Matthews to be the anomaly that gets suspended for this. I didn't think penalties existed in a radius around him. f*** Bettman, he's lost the script.

Reactions: Kurtz

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
No offense, but this comment looks like you trying to act like an internet tough guy and completely ignoring reality in the process.

Here is why - in November, the Oilers drew attention to the fact that Mcdavid was not getting any calls. True enough - he was something like 200th in the league in penalties drawn at the time. After the Oilers, as you would say, complained, Mcdavid started to draw an avalanche of calls. He now leads the league with something like 40+ penalties drawn. Matthews, btw, the current hart favourite, has drawn only 7.

So if our spineless management followed the example of the Oilers, and complained about Matthews not getting calls, there is reason to believe that this would change. But yet they remain silent, maybe trying to avoid fines, I don't know, and it's to our detriment.

Either they need to speak out or we need new management. I don't know if Dubas has any balls to show, but Shanahan surely has to.

None taken. I don’t like whiners, so I got a bit grouchy.

BackPassChampions

Jun 26, 2015
Speaking up isn't going to change anything, zip, zero. Waste of time.

Kudos to Matthews showing some aggression, we need more aggression in him and ALL of our players.

This team is way too easy to bully. I'm sick of it year over year.

There's obviously other issues as well.

What the hell happened to this "killer instinct" and "keeping it real"?🙄

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
have to laugh at all the angst towards our gm and president for not 'standing up' to the league on Matthews' behalf.

This was a BS suspension. No history, no injury, precedent for cross checks = $5,000 fine, not a 2 game suspension. f*** Parros.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
On the other side of the coin if Naz or Marchy did that to Mathews they would get Life or have to accept a trade the Arizona .

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Leafs are in a pretty comfortable position, playoff wise. Part of me wants them to find the biggest goon in some minor league or even beer league, (think prime “missing Link” Gaetz) sign them to a bullshit contract and let them run mayhem over anyone who slashed or cross checks Matthews.

If the NHL doesn’t want to protect one of their biggest stars and won’t let him protect himself, then let them deal with a massive goon running rampant against the other team for a few weeks.

I’d fully expect this player to be suspended for life at the end of his reign.

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
have to laugh at all the angst towards our gm and president for not 'standing up' to the league on Matthews' behalf.

This was a BS suspension. No history, no injury, precedent for cross checks = $5,000 fine, not a 2 game suspension. f*** Parros.
Well Babcock complained when Kadri got shafted by referees and after that it went way worse, so I don't think retaliating is the right way to go. If league, referees and Parros could admit that they aren't always right you could complain, but they can't and won't.

They have to power in the league over officiating and they'll never admit that they made a mistake, so it's better just let it be.

It isn't right, but it is what it is. I hate as much as you do, but saw once how complaining affects your team so what can you do?

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Well Babcock complained when Kadri got shafted by referees and after that it went way worse, so I don't think retaliating is the right way to go. If league, referees and Parros could admit that they aren't always right you could complain, but they can't and won't.

They have to power in the league over officiating and they'll never admit that they made a mistake, so it's better just let it be.

It isn't right, but it is what it is. I hate as much as you do, but saw once how complaining affects your team so what can you do?
Man that run of games after the Kadri stuff was nuts, the absolute insanity of the non-call against him was mind-boggling.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Man that run of games after the Kadri stuff was nuts, the absolute insanity of the non-call against him was mind-boggling.

Landeskog recently called out referees regarding anti-kadri reffing too. Should be interesting to see how that plays out :laugh:

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
Calgary had same treatment after Wideman hit that referee and it was fine for the league. You can't complain, because it is some sort of punishment for you, when referees are playing their own games.

It's crazy and it makes this bit of a bush league in a sense. Referees shouldn't have any agenda, they should serve the game.

Reactions: PromisedLand

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
Leafs are in a pretty comfortable position, playoff wise. Part of me wants them to find the biggest goon in some minor league or even beer league, (think prime “missing Link” Gaetz) sign them to a bullshit contract and let them run mayhem over anyone who slashed or cross checks Matthews.

If the NHL doesn’t want to protect one of their biggest stars and won’t let him protect himself, then let them deal with a massive goon running rampant against the other team for a few weeks.

I’d fully expect this player to be suspended for life at the end of his reign.
You know, it's a real strategy to build a solid special teams (the Leafs have it) and then play a dirty style that guarantees a game with plenty of calls. It likely ends in a parity of 4 calls each side and you'd get away with murder. This is what playoff teams do on purpose and the Leafs "playing clean" isn't ever going to sadly work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad