Rumor: Matthews Suspension 2 Games

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
First thing you need to do is skate at an NHL level. Are you still qualified?

Based on the last few weeks I'm not so sure the standards are all that high TBH, that Edmonton game, how did that crew get another game? I can NOT call obvious PIM's as well as the next guy... so yes I'm at NHL level.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
No chance and I partly blame TSN and Sportsnet for it too.

Any time a Leaf does anything....2 mins later: "How many games is this?"

Other games go completely under the radar even though the DoPS looks at every play but since there is no coverage for it, there is no outrage for it not being a suspension.

This is true. Nobody, not even family members of the players or any one in the league, watches for example the Coyotes play. And nobody reports on the games.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Take the fine, call out Parros and the league. This franchise is a clown show
I don't mind if they want to call it out and address it but complaining about fair play doesn't do much for this groups competitiveness when facing adversity.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
The league is a shitshow from top to bottom. From the commissioner to the referees. It is incompetent and biased. It's part of why the league has very few fans and continues to plummet into irrelevance. Based on his body of work, it's impossible to escape the conclusion that Parros suffers from severe brain injuries. Really inspiring that the hideous ogre can even spin the wheel.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
It honestly baffles me as to why the Leafs management doesn’t speak out against these blatant inconsistencies.

I mean, in a very short period of time, posters here have compiled a caravan of clips and factoids that prove how ridiculous the DOPS is.

I’m thinking MLSE can handle the fine for voicing their frustration, no?

spineless, pathetic, weak, gutless, heartless... kind of like the team on the ice.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I haven't read all 14 pages but they suspended him because of the venue and not the act! it this happened tonight he would maybe get a fine.
The NHL did this because it was on a national stage and we will see many plays just like it happen in the next week.
I hope it lights a fire under AM34 and take a even bigger next step! But also MLSE/Dubas/Shanny need to make a statement and take the fine and put the League on notice. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH...even LeBrun mentioned it was a joke AM34 has only drawn 6 pims. Grow a damn set and make a statement!

at this point a part of me hopes Matthews moves on from this organization when his contract is up. Why play for managers who don't have your back? A good manager has your back and speaks up on your behalf.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Keefe showed no balls when asked about the suspension. Good lord, "league makes their decision and we move on" .. Grow some balls and speak out.
They have a game to play tonight, best way for him to address the media is to focus on what's ahead, not take a fine.

If they want to address it they should appeal it.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Have you read literally anything here? Nobody here thinks it's a clean play, nobody here says under normal fair circumstances it shouldn't be a suspension. In Canada we have something called Case/Common law where precedence matters. It seemed like that was the case at the DoPS (for these cross checks at least) until surprise surprise the biggest star in Toronto commits the same infraction and instead gets a much harsher penalty.

That's the problem it's not consistent and I doubt it will be going forward. The next time a player will be suspended for a cross check is when Nylander or Marner does it in the playoffs. Parros is a scum bag and seems like he can't forgive or forget certain past events.

Like I told the the other hot take conspiracy theorist, just commenting on the actual play, not the rediculous theories being speculated as to why he was suspended.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
They have a game to play tonight, best way for him to address the media is to focus on what's ahead, not take a fine.

I hope the officiating is extremely lopsided tonight against the Leafs, ideally even with unwarranted suspensions in the aftermath. It'll nicely highlight what a cucks Keefe and co are. This feels like "our PP is our enforcer" all over again.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Like I told the the other hot take conspiracy theorist, just commenting on the actual play, not the rediculous theories being speculated as to why he was suspended.

Sure but looking at the play in a vacuum is a weird way to look at it. Conspiracy theories aside, I don't know how anyone can look at how the play has been called in the past vs how the play has been called against Auston Matthews and come to any conclusion other then that there is inconsistencies at the DoPS. If you do you're either trolling, have a few lose screws upstairs, or you might think a new precedent is being set. If you think the latter isn't it odd that in a YEAR where the league was suppose to crackdown on cross checks, 6 months into the season is when they decided to finally get serious about it?

Just taking the incident in isolation makes no sense. In isolation a Ukraine civilian killing a Russian soldiers is bad. In context? Yeah not so much.

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario

And this is why this team will forever be losers! Your star player just got a two game suspension for what has been a fine multiple times this seasons.
You have a 16 pt lead on the last wildcard spot This is the time for a fine! So your players you stand with them! Make a statement about how little PP opportunities your highly skilled players draw. This isn't about the media this is about the DOPS and the NHL. You appeal and what get AM his money for two games? Gary will drag his feet Matty will miss two games and the Leafs could be on a four game L streak and Boston passes us. Seems like a lose all around

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Keefe showed no balls when asked about the suspension. Good lord, "league makes their decision and we move on" .. Grow some balls and speak out.
A coach would only speak out like that if he knew the GM and Prez had his back, they tell him it's okay to speak out on the club's behalf, and they quietly slip him the money to pay for the fine. Keefe is smart - he knows this upper management's hockey philosophy kills coaches, goalies, and star players. Watch again tonight, another fly-by stick-waving no-hit no-fight marshmallow roast.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Winners win, and losers complain about it.

No offense, but this comment looks like you trying to act like an internet tough guy and completely ignoring reality in the process.

Here is why - in November, the Oilers drew attention to the fact that Mcdavid was not getting any calls. True enough - he was something like 200th in the league in penalties drawn at the time. After the Oilers, as you would say, complained, Mcdavid started to draw an avalanche of calls. He now leads the league with something like 40+ penalties drawn. Matthews, btw, the current hart favourite, has drawn only 7.

So if our spineless management followed the example of the Oilers, and complained about Matthews not getting calls, there is reason to believe that this would change. But yet they remain silent, maybe trying to avoid fines, I don't know, and it's to our detriment.

Either they need to speak out or we need new management. I don't know if Dubas has any balls to show, but Shanahan surely has to.

Cpt Maple Leaf

Jul 19, 2009
1647377347589.png

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I mean, you can't crosscheck dudes in the head, so it's a deserved suspension. But OF COURSE it's a Leaf who's setting the bar for suspensions. I don't think the refs or the league are out to get the Leafs, but Parros has not been even handed with us. Our guys get long suspensions for their infractions, but when our guys are the victims the perps get fines.

And guys, ain't no team in the league is going to arrange a press conference, call Parros a son of a bitch and tank the 250k fine, all because their guy got suspended two games for cross checking a guy in the head. Parros is a son of a bitch and I'd love it, but you're more likely to see Holl in the Norris voting this year.

Reactions: Kurtz

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Nice, I don't know how that applies to a team like the Leafs, who consistently have finished in the bottom group of teams with the least powerplays in the last 5 years. With a star player that has only had ~6 penalties caught committed against them.
There are currently 175 'centers' with 40 games played. 109 have drawn more penalties and 114 have taken more.

There are 42 with 40 points. 32 have taken more penalties, and 37 have drawn more.

In the lower end, but not the worst. Tampa fans are wondering why Steven Stamkos has only drawn three penalties this year.

Players who draw more penalties are the ones who tend to play hard: fight for space in the slot, try to plow through the defence, grind it out in the corners. Does any of this sound like Matthews?

Basically the same applies to most of our players. And I'm sure the fact that we have the best PP is a deterrent to teams.

In reality, we don't complain any more than the other teams' fans (less than some), and with no more justification.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
There are currently 175 'centers' with 40 games played. 109 have drawn more penalties and 114 have taken more.

There are 42 with 40 points. 32 have taken more penalties, and 37 have drawn more.

In the lower end, but not terribly so. Tampa fans are wondering why Steven Stamkos has only drawn three penalties this year.

Players who draw more penalties are the ones who tend to play hard: fight for space in the slot, try to plow through the defence, grind it out in the corners. Does any of this sound like Matthews?

Basically the same applies to most of our players. And I'm sure the fact that we have the best PP is a deterrent to teams.

In reality, we don't complain any more than the other teams' fans (less than some), and with no more justification.

Yes, it does...that's how Matthews has played all year this year.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
You can't rely on other guys to stick up for any players. It's nice for him to take ownership of it himself... said robertson in regards to the suspension.

i think 20 guys in that locker room should put that on the roofs above there beds so they have too look at it every night

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad