Confirmed with Link: Matthews new deal Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
People have been critical of Matthews for 2 months ,ive been critical for 2 years. Matthews has elite offensive skill in the o zone when hes givin room. He moves the puck very quickly faster then 90 % of players in the league, that goes for his shot as well. But Matthews doesn't drive play, he never has. Nylander drove the play mostly on his line. Matthews also can be very lazy in the d zone and doesn't engage in board battles. This is why I was bitter about all the hype he was getting in regards to his salary. Hes kinda playing like a specialty player more then a franchise center like people have been saying for years. Now there is value in a specialty player but to be paid the way hes been, is basically ignoring injuries and the fact that hes invisible in half the games he plays.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Could be something like soft tissue damage around the ribs. Sprain etc, perhaps now he has a contract he is not forcing himself because of $$$.

Right. Whatever excuse to make us feel better I guess.

All of a sudden he'll get hot or back on track and I guess the injury will have magically healed.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Right. Whatever excuse to make us feel better I guess.

All of a sudden he'll get hot or back on track and I guess the injury will have magically healed.

Mono worked for Mitch? Look regardless the contract to me was 2m rich on a 5 year term. Hope it works out. If it doesnt, we can trade him to Arizona or vegas and put Nylander at 2C where he belongs.

RLF

May 5, 2014
From what I see. I don't think it is as much his linemates as I think his struggles are that teams have adjusted to his style. If you watch the other teams D positioning, they are now playing to block the toe drag shot that was so effective earlier. They are giving him the lane to the outside from the spot he likes by the faceoff circle and taking away the toe drag shot lane to the net. He looks a little lost that he can't just "out skill" the defenders. They are playing him tighter with less room and he hasn't figured out a way to get through. He needs to use his linemates more and become more of the playmaker and less the shooter for a bit to start opening up his own shooting lanes again. imo

Faustus

Jun 21, 2012
From what I see. I don't think it is as much his linemates as I think his struggles are that teams have adjusted to his style. If you watch the other teams D positioning, they are now playing to block the toe drag shot that was so effective earlier. They are giving him the lane to the outside from the spot he likes by the faceoff circle and taking away the toe drag shot lane to the net. He looks a little lost that he can't just "out skill" the defenders. They are playing him tighter with less room and he hasn't figured out a way to get through. He needs to use his linemates more and become more of the playmaker and less the shooter for a bit to start opening up his own shooting lanes again. imo

I've been noticing this a lot lately. Teams know that if they keep him to the outside, he will just button hook.

Before the Trouba hit, if you gave him the outside he would go wide and cut inside. It looks like he's afraid to do that now.

Reactions: dsred

RLF

May 5, 2014
I've been noticing this a lot lately. Teams know that if they keep him to the outside, he will just button hook.

Before the Trouba hit, if you gave him the outside he would go wide and cut inside. It looks like he's afraid to do that now.

Yep, the D is taking away the far side of the net on the toe drag. Matthews shota are now low and short side on the toe drag as his preferred high far corner just isn't there. I would like to see him dish it quickly as soon as he is in that position to try and open it up again. Crosby has been great at this his whole career. If they guard him, he dishes it and when they look for the pass, he starts to shoot.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
People have been critical of Matthews for 2 months ,ive been critical for 2 years. Matthews has elite offensive skill in the o zone when hes givin room. He moves the puck very quickly faster then 90 % of players in the league, that goes for his shot as well. But Matthews doesn't drive play, he never has. Nylander drove the play mostly on his line. Matthews also can be very lazy in the d zone and doesn't engage in board battles. This is why I was bitter about all the hype he was getting in regards to his salary. Hes kinda playing like a specialty player more then a franchise center like people have been saying for years. Now there is value in a specialty player but to be paid the way hes been, is basically ignoring injuries and the fact that hes invisible in half the games he plays.

giphy.gif

great

Apr 14, 2018
Still think the contract is an overpay, but can't really do anything about it.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
I don't know why people just keep saying he's injured. If he was injured, he wouldn't be playing. Some great players in this league go through tough stretches all the time. It's going to be okay.

He had a good game last night. He had a couple chances he just missed on. Give him a more effective LW and he's probably going to look better as well.

Matthews might be the only player in this league that gets the "He must be playing injured" when he's having some off games. Then he'll score 5 goals in 3 games and it'll be "Oh man he's so good!"

Players play with injuries all the time. Not saying he's definitely injured, but this logic doesn't really work.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

The only Leaf player that goes from the outside to the inside on a regular basis is Marner.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Players play with injuries all the time. Not saying he's definitely injured, but this logic doesn't really work.

The logic? If he was injured, he wouldn't have gone to the all-star game and wouldn't have played all this time. Players play through injuries all the time... when games matter. They don't play weeks/months injured in the middle of the season.

You want to talk about logic? You think the Leafs medical staff would let him play injured? You think we know more about his health than they do? Even if he's playing through something fairly minor, it shouldn't be an excuse for whatever you think he's struggling.

This is just an excuse for people to feel better about a player going through a tough stretch.

Last edited:

RLF

May 5, 2014
The logic? If he was injured, he wouldn't have gone to the all-star game and wouldn't have played all this time. Players play through injuries all the time... when games matter. They don't play weeks/months injured in the middle of the season.

You want to talk about logic?

This is just an excuse for people to feel better about a player probably struggling or going through a tough stretch.

That is a great point in itself. I think he is fine, but struggling.

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
Many of your comments are very well expressed, you shed insight.

I would respectfully disagree with your comments about his defensive play though, I do find him to be a reliable defensive center and feel he helps our D out a lot. He exitscwell.

You do make good points though. I hope that putting a Nylander with him helps. He is the only Leaf I am truly concerned about, last night against the Rangerscwas just one more example. I hate to say it, but his offensive zone play is atrocious, not only is he not producing, not going to any tough areas, but he constantly seems to give the puck away in the offensive zone.

I am very worried that this will only get worse, now that his huge contract has raised expectations (and attendant frustration). I have read other threads, like “relax he’s only 21” or that he’s hurt.

One analyst opined that he would be much more effective with the security of the 5 year deal;?that he could “concentrate” on hockey now. But, if anything, it’s worse.

I hope they find a solution. He can’t have lost his swagger out of the blue (just like Nylander didn’t).

You’re right, he’s not a playmaker, but he can be a physically dominating 55 goal centre.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
As much as Matthews not playing up to par, could their be a more clueless coach then Babcock when formulating lines? He’s trying to mix oil and water and think it will work.

Who’s the playmaker to get Matthews the puck in dangerous areas? Marleau and Kap are shooters as well. Matthews can drive the line, but if he’s carrying the puck all the time defenders will be on him forcing him to dish or take shots that are well defended. Nylander needs to be put back with Matthews period.

We’re coming towards the stretch end of the season, but there’s still enough time to regain that chemistry they built their first two seasons. If we head into the playoffs with a broken PP and an ineffective Matthews line, Leafs are an easy out.

Matthews has played horribly lately (and I don't think it's injury, if it was a lingering injury they'd sit him out) and it's his own fault but good f***ing god you're right about his linemates being oil and water.

In what f***ing world do you not put your 2nd best playmaking winger (Marner's obviously with Tavares) with Matthews especially when there's already pre-existing chemistry?

Kappy's nice but he's got no playmaking instinct, he's a rush-shooter type winger and Marleau is just completely useless everywhere, and he's got pretty well zero ability to pass the puck nowadays.

There's still enough time indeed to make a work-able line with Matthews-Nylander, but this coach is so f***ing stupid I wouldn't be shocked if we don't see them together from here to the inevitable first-round exit we all know is coming.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Matthews has played horribly lately (and I don't think it's injury, if it was a lingering injury they'd sit him out) and it's his own fault but good ****ing god you're right about his linemates being oil and water.

In what ****ing world do you not put your 2nd best playmaking winger (Marner's obviously with Tavares) with Matthews especially when there's already pre-existing chemistry?

Kappy's nice but he's got no playmaking instinct, he's a rush-shooter type winger and Marleau is just completely useless everywhere, and he's got pretty well zero ability to pass the puck nowadays.

There's still enough time indeed to make a work-able line with Matthews-Nylander, but this coach is so ****ing stupid I wouldn't be shocked if we don't see them together from here to the inevitable first-round exit we all know is coming.
I really think it's time to sit Matthews in the press box for a game. He needs to get his head back into playing with the pedal to the metal. He's coasting out there for the most part IMHO.

Make an example out of him with a healthy scratch!

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Matthews is elite and that's not just going to disappear. He needs a new strategy though because the things that were working for him earlier are gone now because teams know to swarm him and get sticks and shin pads in front of him. He needs to be a little more creative and rely less on pure skill and quickness. And yes, having a playmaker on his wing would help.

Bodybr3ak

Nov 19, 2010
I know this has been said a million times now but Babcock needs to put him and Nylander back together. Nylander started off slow but has looked like him old self as of late. Get him back with Matthews.

Reactions: Menzinger and dsred

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Matthews has played horribly lately (and I don't think it's injury, if it was a lingering injury they'd sit him out) and it's his own fault but good ****ing god you're right about his linemates being oil and water.

In what ****ing world do you not put your 2nd best playmaking winger (Marner's obviously with Tavares) with Matthews especially when there's already pre-existing chemistry?

There's still enough time indeed to make a work-able line with Matthews-Nylander, but this coach is so ****ing stupid I wouldn't be shocked if we don't see them together from here to the inevitable first-round exit we all know is coming.

Lots of cup winning coaches spread their offense as opposed to stacking it.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Hows the stacked line working in Colorado? Team isn't even going to make the playoffs in a crap Western Conference. For the most part it looks great for individual stats but not team success.

Reactions: mavis and egd27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad