Confirmed with Link: Matthews new deal Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
I love how another nhl executive said that Dubas was “incompetent” in the Matthews negotiation. The entirety of the main boards here call it a dramatic overpayment. I’ve never seen the main boards this united about anything.

Most Leafs fans, as usual, are in complete denial and attribute these reactions as (lol) “leaf hate”.

It’s just too much...
I hear you man. Im a diehard Leaf fan, can check my post history. I've defended pretty much everything except the Nylander and Matthews signings. I don't see how these can be defended, it's brutal but it's happening on here. I even have to man up and admit I was dead wrong about how these negotiations went down with @Mess. It hurts but it is what it is... He was right :booboo:

Reactions: Throw More Waffles

Mar 26, 2010
Matthews for McDavid straight up.

Win-win!
Dubas would have a hard time getting a first round pick for Matthews at this point. he is Bad...luckily he did not sign for 8 years. That would have been awful.

Last edited:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I love how another nhl executive said that Dubas was “incompetent” in the Matthews negotiation. The entirety of the main boards here call it a dramatic overpayment. I’ve never seen the main boards this united about anything.

Most Leafs fans, as usual, are in complete denial and attribute these reactions as (lol) “leaf hate”.

It’s just too much...

It's potentially a new and different (due to the relatively shorter term compared to other high AAV contracts around the league) contract comparable. Therefore, teams with big negotiations coming up are going to be highly interested in it. It's not an immediate home run for the Leafs IMO (it's better for the player, or maybe market value depending on opinion). It's a five year pact that needs some time to play out. The apparent cap crunch of next season also likely means contracts are going to be subject to a higher degree of scrutiny.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
For how agonizing Matthews is, i cant imagine what it must be like to be a Laine fan. Watching these 2 guys is the most frustrating thing in sports

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
giphy.gif
Oh no I think you thought I sad Marner. You know the guy who carries the puck into the zone, beats a man or two if he has to and then calmly sets up a play. Matthews is the one that receives the puck in the neutral zone then within .5 seconds dishes it to a winger or in the area of a winger. Nylander also likes to Drive play, you know hold onto the puck for a few seconds while carrying it into the O zone. Yea, Mcdavid likes to do this aswell also Mckinnon does it pretty good as well as Aho....

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I hear you man. Im a diehard Leaf fan, can check my post history. I've defended pretty much everything except the Nylander and Matthews signings. I don't see how these can be defended, it's brutal but it's happening on here. I even have to man up and admit I was dead wrong about how these negotiations went down with @Mess. It hurts but it is what it is... He was right :booboo:

@Mess can definitely put the feather in his cap for those ones. IIRC he was essentially betting on Dubas to get bent over in both the Matthews and Nylander negotiations and he was definitely right.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
@Mess can definitely put the feather in his cap for those ones. IIRC he was essentially betting on Dubas to get bent over in both the Matthews and Nylander negotiations and he was definitely right.
I can readily admit I was remarkably wrong in the Nylander negotiation threads. I didn’t think there was even a slight chance that our management team would allow themselves to be taken advantage of this way. I simply had too much faith in Shanahan and Dubas.

But from the moment I saw the Nylander dramatic overpayment, I was certain it would create a trickle effect on Matthews and Marner.

Looking just at the leafs... if Nylanders 20 goals/60 points is worth 7.5x6, then what would a 40 goal Calder trophy winning rookie year get? What will a 90-100 point 3rd elc year look like? It all came down to that Nylander contract. And the dramatic overpayment they settled on was the catalyst that will break this young team apart.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I've been noticing this a lot lately. Teams know that if they keep him to the outside, he will just button hook.

Before the Trouba hit, if you gave him the outside he would go wide and cut inside. It looks like he's afraid to do that now.
^^ This. ^^

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Leafs fans can be the worst sometimes.

We should be thanking the hockey gods every day that we have a talent at Matthews level on the roster instead some people would seriously prefer a collection of mid to late round 1st round picks instead.
That's fair but in our defense, he has to try - and it doesn't look like he is.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Some people may not be happy with his god awful overpaid contract, but I have yet to see any post of this nature.
TBH, I don't care about the money - MLSE has it to burn.

I do care about the effort and whether we can count on Matthews to go to the next level because if we get "Playoff Matthews" for the next 5 years, the cap hit from signing the guy will be painful.

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
Leafs fans can be the worst sometimes.

We should be thanking the hockey gods every day that we have a talent at Matthews level on the roster instead some people would seriously prefer a collection of mid to late round 1st round picks instead.

We had Phil Kessel signed to a (much more reasonable) long term contract just a few years ago.

Matthews no longer battles for the puck and puts in no effort in his own end anymore. He looks like a player that's given up or doesn't care. What exactly separates Matthews from Kessel at this point?

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
We had Phil Kessel signed to a (much more reasonable) long term contract just a few years ago.

Matthews no longer battles for the puck and puts in no effort in his own end anymore. He looks like a player that's given up or doesn't care. What exactly separates Matthews from Kessel at this point?
This might be the worst post in HFBoards history

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Phil Kessel is literally one of my favourite non-Leaf NHLers but this is silly. Matthews is considerably better.

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
Not the way he's played over the last two months. The lack of effort we're seeing from him is no different from what Phil was panned for while he was here.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
McDavid didn't have this issue, Sid didn't, and Matty is in the same salary category. What he is getting paid matters, and he is not cutting it.

I think it is injury.

you think there weren't stretches where McDavid and Sid "disappeared"? McDavid had an abysmal start to the last 2 seasons by his standards. There were actually people questioning McDavid and just how generational he is.

Every young player goes through it. What seperates them is that in their slumps they still produce what would be solid numbers for most players. Everyone forgets them when they're over.

Matthews is still on an elite points/goals pace. He doesn't need injury justifications. He just needs to figure it out.

Reactions: DanM
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->