Matthews needs to be better...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
He was zipping around with Johnsson and Kapanen on his line. Marleau is too much of an anchor at this point and has zero playmaking ability.

It would also help if Nylander showed a pulse, the pair need each other but Nylander is nowhere near up to par yet.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Gramps here. I am the biggest Matty fan. But last night he was invisible. He has trouble with teams who clog up the neutral zone. He has a hard time getting the puck. Once he gets full control there is no one better holding it but he does have some issues getting it when he gets played tight in neutral zone.

Cynical

Aug 23, 2014
Everytime Matthews goes down with an injury and misses time, he comes back playing like a shell of his former self. He has looked passive and has not dominated since coming back. When Matthews is playing well he carries the puck and it follows him around like a yoyo. Now he looks likes he's floating around like Pavel Bure.

Either he's playing a bit scared or there are some lingering effects. He looks nothing like the guy we saw before the injury.

Reactions: BTP and Zizzzzy

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Gramps here. He got rocked straight up shoulder to shoulder by Trouba right as he crossed to front of Jets net. It was a clean hit with a lot of force. Trouba is a big man with big speed. He is not scared as scared hockey players dont go to those spots on the ice. If you played you understand.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
If it's true how come Babcock has not taken him out of the lineup like the previous times he was injured?

I dont know. It just an observation.

Its also fair to say theres a difference between being too injured to play and not running at 100%. Right now he doesnt look like hes running 100%. His hands are just a bit off. His shot isnt quite as snappy.

By no means am I saying hes bad, im just saying hes not at his best right now.

Reactions: Sonny21

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Guys play through nagging injuries all the time. If it were serious and it could get worse he would not get clearance. It could be sore and he may play in a more protected style.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I dont know. It just an observation.

Its also fair to say theres a difference between being too injured to play and not running at 100%. Right now he doesnt look like hes running 100%. His hands are just a bit off. His shot isnt quite as snappy.

By no means am I saying hes bad, im just saying hes not at his best right now.
Normally I would say with the Leafs next game not being until Thursday hopefully the days off will do him some good, however the Leafs just had the Christmas break stating on December 23 after their game against Detroit and didn't play again until December 28.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Normally I would say with the Leafs next game not being until Thursday hopefully the days off will do him some good, however the Leafs just had the Christmas break stating on December 23 after their game against Detroit and didn't play again until December 28.

This remimds me too much of his injury last season. He didnt look normal until training camp this season. I hope im wrong.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Just take marleau off, he will explode offensivley. Johnson/Hyman/Nylander and Kappy on his wing will do him wonders.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Gramps here. I am the biggest Matty fan. But last night he was invisible. He has trouble with teams who clog up the neutral zone. He has a hard time getting the puck. Once he gets full control there is no one better holding it but he does have some issues getting it when he gets played tight in neutral zone.
we need Hyman back

Reactions: luvdahattymatty

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Hyman has stone hands. Once he gets the puck, he promptly gives it away to the other team. He is so overrated by the coaching staff, and some fans. He doesn't really help anyone. As you can see, Marner, JT, Matthews all are scoring just fine without him. Johnsson is a way better player than Hyman.

Yup!
Anyone care to dig stats.

Hyman is like 30GP 4 Goals 3 assists on Tavares and Marners line.

Johnsson is like on Gm 4 on Tavares Marners line and has 5Goals 2 assists.

Kappanen went from 4th line to Matthews line and look at him now. Hes our 3rd best scorer. Hyman has never been off JT and Marners line lmao.

If Hyman is back on that line when he is back and not promptly taken off, I will be officially in the we need to have a good look at other coaches category.

Babs has taken this team to great heights... but if he cant adjust to the new NHL and recognize talent properly then we need to pass the torch.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yup!
Anyone care to dig stats.

Hyman is like 30GP 4 Goals 3 assists on Tavares and Marners line.

Johnsson is like on Gm 4 on Tavares Marners line and has 5Goals 2 assists.

Kappanen went from 4th line to Matthews line and look at him now. Hes our 3rd best scorer. Hyman has never been off JT and Marners line lmao.

If Hyman is back on that line when he is back and not promptly taken off, I will be officially in the we need to have a good look at other coaches category.

Babs has taken this team to great heights... but if he cant adjust to the new NHL and recognize talent properly then we need to pass the torch.
They honestly looked better with Hyman over Johnsson. I'd say Matthews also looked better with Hyman and Nylander than he has recently with Marleau in the LW spot.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Hyman has stone hands. Once he gets the puck, he promptly gives it away to the other team. He is so overrated by the coaching staff, and some fans. He doesn't really help anyone. As you can see, Marner, JT, Matthews all are scoring just fine without him. Johnsson is a way better player than Hyman.
2 assists the last 4 games, not missing Zach at all I guess.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Matthews isn't injured, he's very much a streaky hot & cold player. Nobody better when he's hot. Pretty average when he's not.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
2 assists the last 4 games, not missing Zach at all I guess.

Who are you talking about? Matthews? He has not played with Hyman all season long. 2 assists in the last 4 games has nothing to do with Hyman's absence lol. He has 35 points and 19 goals in 25 games all without that boat anchor Hyman on his line. JT and Marner are all producing just fine in his absence too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad