Matthews needs to be better...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
This is not a knee-jerk reaction to tonight and definitely not a shot at him because he has produced a good clip of points overall.

I will also give him some slack for being 21 years old still, but not a lot of slack.

This is something that has been bugging me for awhile and ive mentioned it briefly before, but Matthews is not preforming the way this team needs him to.

I dont know if a future captaincy is within his sights or not. But absolutely a large payday in the neighborhood of 11-13 mill is. But IMO he is not playing like that type of player at all. Dominant players are noticeable for big chunks of the game and are threats much more consistently than he is. You know when players like McDavid are on the ice almost all the time even when they arent putting up points.

Matthews is not playing like he did last season, or even for a few games at the start of this one. If you leave him open he will burn you quite often, but outside of that the only names you constantly hear are Marner, Tavares, Reilly and even Kap.

This is just my opinion based on what ive been seeing. Hes done really well point wise overall, but typically its Marner that has been running this team engine.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Our 2nd highest-payed player is playing like the worst player on this team that is who needs to be called out

Last edited:
Reactions: Tracer Bullet

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Definitely a knee jerk reaction thread lol.

He was the best player in the game last night, go rewatch it and just focus on Matthews, can't believe he only got one point.
I’m glad I’m not the only one that thought so. He played unbelievably good on both sides of the puck

Reactions: egd27

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I will remind you all, some of us wanted Nylander traded for a defenseman. While so many salivated for the 60 point saviour (while playing on high performance Matthews line) to be signed and sealed.

Let's hope it works out. I always feel guys who rock the boat are best traded for full value, especially when Kappy does what he does.

As for Matthews he will be fine, this is a young team, too many distractions when so young and thrown into the Limelight, they are ahead of schedule for their development to a Cup team. Let's see how a playoff run goes.

Reactions: tellermine

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
This is not a knee-jerk reaction to tonight and definitely not a shot at him because he has produced a good clip of points overall.

I will also give him some slack for being 21 years old still, but not a lot of slack.

This is something that has been bugging me for awhile and ive mentioned it briefly before, but Matthews is not preforming the way this team needs him to.

I dont know if a future captaincy is within his sights or not. But absolutely a large payday in the neighborhood of 11-13 mill is. But IMO he is not playing like that type of player at all. Dominant players are noticeable for big chunks of the game and are threats much more consistently than he is. You know when players like McDavid are on the ice almost all the time even when they arent putting up points.

Matthews is not playing like he did last season, or even for a few games at the start of this one. If you leave him open he will burn you quite often, but outside of that the only names you constantly hear are Marner, Tavares, Reilly and even Kap.

This is just my opinion based on what ive been seeing. Hes done really well point wise overall, but typically its Marner that has been running this team engine.

Ever since that Kronwall hit he has played awful. No one will even allow this to be discussed because they just look at the stat sheet, and ignore unsustainable shooting percentages, favorable zone starts, sheltering, etc.

He is most likely injured again. It happened last season, too -- after the first injury, he wasn't the same again.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
marleau and kapp have no where near the playmaking ability as nylander.
matthews was also crap last year when babs took nylander off his wing.

lets just wait till willy get back to form okay?

patience grasshopper...Matthews is still our best player and producing on the PP.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Ever since that Kronwall hit he has played awful. No one will even allow this to be discussed because they just look at the stat sheet, and ignore unsustainable shooting percentages, favorable zone starts, sheltering, etc.

He is most likely injured again. It happened last season, too -- after the first injury, he wasn't the same again.
Nope.

I agree that for the first 3/4 games after the Kronwall hit he did not look himself. He wouldnt engage physically and looked afraid to go to the dirty areas.

After that hes looked great imo, he's been doing everything you can ask of him, and looks like he's got his swagger back

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Even in his rookie year he had stretches where he couldn't score,although he was playing well ..

For me a lot depends on babcock.....if he goes back to Marleau on that line then I think this will continue......Marleau has become as much of an anchor as the other guy who plays left wing.
If he leaves Nylander there,I think that they will turn it on, sooner or later.

Reactions: saffronleaf

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Let's see how a playoff run goes.
That will be huge. If he disappears like last year, it will be concerning.

My worry :

The Leafs remind me of the Caps from the decade before they won the cup - Nick Foligno said as much when he was quoted during the 2nd period.

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
He played with that plug Marleau last few games. We was better when it was Kappy Nylander as wingers at the end. Someone post his stats with Marleau as his winger, bet its awful.

Reactions: saffronleaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad