Matthews needs to be better...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Here we have a bunch of posters who expect Matthews to score 70 goals in 70 games.
Matthews will get his points during the regular season - and lots of them. He's too good and the team around him (offensively) is too well rounded not to.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
He came back played like 5 games hard. Got hit by.. what's his face? Was hard hit and been shy since.
It's human nature. He's had trouble with his shoulders, he's been injury prone, he's was out for a month plus earlier this year, and luckily dodged another injury against Detroit.

How could he not be gun shy?

Matthews4Calder

Nov 27, 2016
BC Western Canada
Im totally on your side on this one and have been saying that since day one on another site. Whether it's a lingering injury, timid as far as competing for the puck its a concern.
If I had to pick a player besides McDavid there is no one else I would take but his intensity, toughness, consistency etc is not where it should be for a top 5 player in this league.
He's so talented though and with that shot that it doesn't take much for him to put up some points and really not have a great game.
Love the kid but his compete level night in night out and prone to injury are a concern for me.
If some of the money being talked about is true up over 12-14 million think the Leafs will regret it.
I personally think the kid is going to miss games every year and with JT making 11 million no chance we keep much of this team together.

For me JT, Reilly and Marner bring it for the most part on a nightly basis. Captaincy those are who u go with and in that order.

Reactions: ORRFForever

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It's human nature. He's had trouble with his shoulders, he's been injury prone, he's was out for a month plus earlier this year, and luckily dodged another injury against Detroit.

How could he not be gun shy?

I know, some guys don't have that gear. I don't think Matthews does, if anything. He doesn't want to risk the reduction in his next contract if injured again.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yeah, I don't mind Matthews playing it safe for any reason. We need him in the PO. In the meantime it would be nice to get Nylander taking up some slack.
This team has zero chance of not making the playoffs so why kill themselves.

Still think trading W.N. for a D-Man was the way to go.

A more experienced GM would have made the trade.

Reactions: thewave

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I'm ok with that but I honestly think they are going to pay him more which would be a mistake.
A lot will depend on his playoff performance and whether he gets injured (again). Having said that, if another team bids him up, the Leafs hands are tied and they'll write the cheque.

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
Matthews is amazing but I really don’t want to pay him more than 11m a year. I’d be very u comfortable paying him more than Tavares.

Reactions: saffronleaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad