Matthews needs to be better...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Yeah, a lot of (bad) hot takes.
It's like if he doesn't snipe in a goal ever other game, then he must be hurt. He gets a lot of goals from in tight and greasy goals. Teams are also putting a lot more pressure on him because they know Marleau is pretty useless, so he isn't getting as much space. He litterally got a goal against the devils where he bowled over a guy, and he was in the scrum when Marleau got hit. He also won like every puck battle against Columbus also.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
But when he disappears, he really disappears.

And last year that happened when it mattered by far the most. He’s also at least slightly injury prone.

McDavid had scored over 100 points twice when he signed at 13. Matthews still hasn’t reached 70.

He's so dangerous, he can turn a game in 10 seconds. McDavid is flashier, but Matthews is more effective. His shot makes him lethal.

Auston's overall point totals isn't a reflection of his skill, look at this PPG numbers and goals per game. I've said it before and will keep saying it, he's the best player in the game, most impactful player when he plays.

Yes, the injuries are a concern, I worry he will be injury prone, but you can't use that to low ball him. Do you not pay Mario in his prime because he's injury prone? Or Eric Lindros in his prone? You have to take your chances and fortunately so far Matthews isn't as bad as those 2 as it pertains to injuries.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I agree with OP.

The problem for me is that it seems to be his birthright to make 13 million next year.

I simply think he is too inconsistent to be making so much money. I still think he’s great overall and I’m glad we have him. But he is no McDavid, and I’m terrified we’ll pay him like one maybe before he even tops 70 points.

Eichel contract should be the ceiling.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
He has lost a very noticeable step from the start of the year and I am not talking about scoring. His skating and drive are stuck at casual level and he seems to be approaching games with skill instead of effort. Maybe it is time to reunite him with Nylander so they can float around together making sick passing plays. I haven't seen Matthews really hustle in a while.

Kappanen has been so good this year because he has been consistent on the forecheck and speed. I'd like to see more drive like that from some of our other players, including our best palyer.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's like if he doesn't snipe in a goal ever other game, then he must be hurt. He gets a lot of goals from in tight and greasy goals. Teams are also putting a lot more pressure on him because they know Marleau is pretty useless, so he isn't getting as much space. He litterally got a goal against the devils where he bowled over a guy, and he was in the scrum when Marleau got hit. He also won like every puck battle against Columbus also.

Agree with all this man.

I don't like Marleau-Matthews together. Marleau is a passenger this year.

I think we should suck it up and get Nylander going.

Nylander-Matthews-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
Johnsson-Tavares-Marner
Moore-Gauthier-Lindholm

When Ennis and Hyman come back,Goat sits and Moore+Lindholm can compete for the last spot. I feel Lindholm has kind of hit a wall lately.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
let him earn 70 points first, then we can talk about 100 points.
I can't imagine a season where a healthy Matthews doesn't get 82 - 100 points. Just putting him on the PP, will get him to 82 - allow him to average 1 a game. .

It's all a question of health / longevity.

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017

Statistically, very few can compare; 35 points in 25 games (19 goals) based upon an average 17 minutes of play time per night (and, increasingly little power play time as the Leafs are one of the least penalized teams). Pro-rated over 38 games and adjusted for the 22 minutes per game average of elite centremen, his stats are indeed outstanding.

Very few players can bring us out of our seats, but he can. So, is he really floating out there or is it just because we have seen his unparalleled mercurial skill, his charisma, and with today’s close checking and trapping, he just has no room?

Yes, I hope adjustments are considered:

-Matthews, Nylander and Kapanen playing 22 minutes a night?
-Marner with Matthews? Because he needs a setup man, he is a shooter.
-A bruising big fast line mate that goes to the tough areas and digs out pucks. Great combination with Matthews 6’3” 220 pound frame as they crash the opponents net

But status quo with Marleau and Kapanen and Matthews barely getting 17 minutes per game (I checked the last 10 games or so for that) is just not working.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
It looks like he has no competitive drive some nights, which makes it really annoying. Everyone knows when he's on his game, he really looks like he's second only to Mcdavid in this league. I wish he showed more heart like Marner.

I know he's a good player and you can use stats to back that up, but there's somethings you just need the eye-test for which show's he's really on and off.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He's so dangerous, he can turn a game in 10 seconds. McDavid is flashier, but Matthews is more effective. His shot makes him lethal.

Auston's overall point totals isn't a reflection of his skill, look at this PPG numbers and goals per game. I've said it before and will keep saying it, he's the best player in the game, most impactful player when he plays.

Yes, the injuries are a concern, I worry he will be injury prone, but you can't use that to low ball him. Do you not pay Mario in his prime because he's injury prone? Or Eric Lindros in his prone? You have to take your chances and fortunately so far Matthews isn't as bad as those 2 as it pertains to injuries.
Earlier this month I was at the Leafs vs Lightning game in Tampa Bay and it was the first time I saw Matthews play in person. Anyway I thought to myself seeing him live is much different than watching the game on TV, so I found a new appreciation for how good a player he is and his overall skill.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
He is not as lazy as Mario though. Man, I would go to Pittsburgh, many a night to see a girlfriend and take in a Pens game. Damn, Mario took a lot of nights off, but he would still get 2-3 points. Floated like no player I have ever seen, maybe the Matthews family saw some of those games as well.

I too, am not a huge fan of Matthews, I see too much float in the guy. No idea why he does it, but looking into his eyes, he looks like a bud man to me. I have no idea if that is true, but he sure looks like he likes to get behind one.

Reactions: mmalady

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
If anybody then Marleau needs to play better. I'd go as far as he sucks. Just nothing cames from him. Also Kadri needs to be better. And Brown needs to be better. Im not a Brown hater like many of the posters here but Brown in the o-zone is brutal.
Id call out these three before Id call out Matthews and Nylander.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
I will remind you all, some of us wanted Nylander traded for a defenseman. While so many salivated for the 60 point saviour (while playing on high performance Matthews line) to be signed and sealed.

Let's hope it works out. I always feel guys who rock the boat are best traded for full value, especially when Kappy does what he does.

As for Matthews he will be fine, this is a young team, too many distractions when so young and thrown into the Limelight, they are ahead of schedule for their development to a Cup team. Let's see how a playoff run goes.
I for one wanted Nylander traded. Once they signed Tavares, focus should have switched to adding a quality d-man. But greed (for offence) got in the way. I have been a Leaf fan for over 50 years, but I fear that the opportunity to build something long lasting has passed them by. They could have moved Willie boy for a solid second D and still had all that firepower w/34,91,16, 43, 24 and 44.
But now they are stuck w/a soft, 60 point forward. I hope I am wrong, but is he Jason Blake Part II

Reactions: Leafsfan74

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'm reticent to criticize such an amazing player, but it very much an open question if Matthews has another gear. Come playoff time I want to see leadership in those tough moments.

Reactions: mmalady

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
He is not as lazy as Mario though. Man, I would go to Pittsburgh, many a night to see a girlfriend and take in a Pens game. Damn, Mario took a lot of nights off, but he would still get 2-3 points. Floated like no player I have ever seen, maybe the Matthews family saw some of those games as well.

I too, am not a huge fan of Matthews, I see too much float in the guy. No idea why he does it, but looking into his eyes, he looks like a bud man to me. I have no idea if that is true, but he sure looks like he likes to get behind one.

Mario really was incredibly lazy. I have never seen anything like it. He just got by on talent. Gretzky worked his butt-off every shift in comparrison.

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
Mario really was incredibly lazy. I have never seen anything like it. He just got by on talent. Gretzky worked his butt-off every shift in comparrison.

Mario was the epitome of lazy, he never worked out and was chain smoking in between periods lol.

Imagine if he took hockey seriously.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
He seems to be slowing his game down to play with Marleau, being more adaptive so Patty can keep up with the play. I also don’t think he’s going 100% which is fine (McDavid does this too...). He’s just picking his spots to dominate while trying to stay healthy. I have no issue with that.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Yeah I don't know what's wrong with him (prob his shoulder) but he's been playing so passive as of late. Aside from the chance in the first period, he was basically invisible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad