Matthews needs to be better...

Status
Not open for further replies.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
the John Tavares thread sparked John Tavares and he got hot. I'm sure this thread will be a gold mine as well once Matthews heats up ahaha

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Matthews isn't injured, he's very much a streaky hot & cold player. Nobody better when he's hot. Pretty average when he's not.
When I was young, I played a competitive sport. During my play, I messed up my ankle. After that, I was ALWAYS concerned about my ankle and it affected my play. No matter how hard I tried, it was always in the back of my mind.

Now, I was not on the same level at Matthews, nor was I as big or athletic. Still, as I said before, I'm sure that shoulder(s) is ALWAYS a concern for the kid.

Reactions: luvdahattymatty

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
This idiot fan base needs to be better. We're second in the league and Matthews is amongst the best in the league in ppg and gpg. Everyone is dumping all over Nylander because of a lack of points when he's getting back into shape and has absolutely terrible puck luck in this stretch (look at the oish%). People need to relax and lean to enjoy the ride a bit.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
One player on a line who can't handle the puck and plays die..
....Marleau is that guy.
....Hyman was the guy......witness the Tavares/Marner/Johnsson on fire since Hyman has been off that line......( and the one game they were stopped the leafs were shut out).
If Nylander and Kapanen are on his line we will see whether he is hurt or not........
It must be incredibly frustrating for matthews to work so hard securing the puck only to see marleau fail to do anything with it.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
This idiot fan base needs to be better. We're second in the league and Matthews is amongst the best in the league in ppg and gpg. Everyone is dumping all over Nylander because of a lack of points when he's getting back into shape and has absolutely terrible puck luck in this stretch (look at the oish%). People need to relax and lean to enjoy the ride a bit.

There are two constants in leafs fandom 1) find a way to be miserable even when the team is doing well 2) constantly praise depth plugs and criticize the hell out of your best players

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Gramps here. Every great line has had a passer, a scorer and a guy who opens up the ice a puck retreiver/hitter. Study the best scoring lines ever and you will notice a very distinctive pattern emerge. 3 of the same type of guys on one line usually do nothing. All you have to do is look at best line in league in Colorado.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Yup!
Anyone care to dig stats.

Hyman is like 30GP 4 Goals 3 assists on Tavares and Marners line.

Johnsson is like on Gm 4 on Tavares Marners line and has 5Goals 2 assists.

Kappanen went from 4th line to Matthews line and look at him now. Hes our 3rd best scorer. Hyman has never been off JT and Marners line lmao.

If Hyman is back on that line when he is back and not promptly taken off, I will be officially in the we need to have a good look at other coaches category.

Babs has taken this team to great heights... but if he cant adjust to the new NHL and recognize talent properly then we need to pass the torch.

I don't like to slag a good coach but he is put of his mind playing hyman any higher than 3rd line. Completely unknown why he does this. He in effect takes away from a energy line and takes away from a scoring line simultaneously. Wtf???! I never got it. f***ing stupid

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
Yea this kid sucks.. he’s already 21 and has less goals at 19 than games played of 25 this season. Let’s trade him to pit for Kessel. Tavares to phili for JVR. Our 2019 first for Bozak. Bring the old band back, call Randy.

member 262271

Can we just have an "'insert current leaf name here' needs to be better" thread for everyone after that Islanders game? This place, man :laugh:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
One player on a line who can't handle the puck and plays die..
....Marleau is that guy.
....Hyman was the guy......witness the Tavares/Marner/Johnsson on fire since Hyman has been off that line......( and the one game they were stopped the leafs were shut out).
If Nylander and Kapanen are on his line we will see whether he is hurt or not........
It must be incredibly frustrating for matthews to work so hard securing the puck only to see marleau fail to do anything with it.
To be fair Tavares marner are great no matter who is on the other wing

Reactions: egd27

joeyjojojrshabadoo

Jan 25, 2009
When I was young, I played a competitive sport. During my play, I messed up my ankle. After that, I was ALWAYS concerned about my ankle and it affected my play. No matter how hard I tried, it was always in the back of my mind.

Now, I was not on the same level at Matthews, nor was I as big or athletic. Still, as I said before, I'm sure that shoulder(s) is ALWAYS a concern for the kid.

Might be. But I'm guessing (not being snarky, promise) you didn't have world-class doctors diagnosing you, treating you, rehabbing you, monitoring you, and then, afterwards, telling you that you are 100% healed and good-to-go. I see what you're saying, and it makes sense intuitively, but most NHL players suffer injuries at some point in their career, eventually heal, and then move on without limitation or noticeable effect.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Might be. But I'm guessing (not being snarky, promise) you didn't have world-class doctors diagnosing you, treating you, rehabbing you, monitoring you, and then, afterwards, telling you that you are 100% healed and good-to-go. I see what you're saying, and it makes sense intuitively, but most NHL players suffer injuries at some point in their career, eventually heal, and then move on without limitation or noticeable effect.
That's fair and you make good points.

As for me... I still think he's worried / hesitant.

As for me as a Leaf's fan... I'm worried about the playoffs because, as I have said many times, teams are going to be running that shoulder EVERY chance they get - come April 7th. Playoff hockey is a different / nasty animal, indeed.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I’m

I’m concerned that he might be injury prone. McDavid had two 100 point seasons before making 13 mil. There wasn’t excuses. There was action. Two 100 point seasons.

Ohhhh I see. All you’re saying is that he needs to be better to live up to the contract that he hasn’t been offered yet. Seems like a totally normal topic of conversation then.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Other Gramps here.

Based on the last game against the Islanders, the whole effing team needs to be better!

It was a back to back for them too!

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Ohhhh I see. All you’re saying is that he needs to be better to live up to the contract that he hasn’t been offered yet. Seems like a totally normal topic of conversation then.
Everyone here talks as though Matthews has a birthright to 13 million per, regardless of how injured he is or the number of points he puts up.

I hope to hell that isn't the case.

It does beg the question... if he yet again doesn't reach 70 points, how much should he get paid? How much do injury prone 70 point players get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->