Matthews,Marner,Nylander Vs Eichel,Dahlin,Mittelstadt for the future?

Which trio would you choose for the future?and why?

• Matthews,Marner,Nylander

Votes: 131 34.0%
  • Eichel,Dahlin,Mittelstadt

Votes: 254 66.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Eichel played around a third more minutes per game than Marner on average and Marner was pushed to lower unskilled lines for a part. Next year will be a lot different

Around a third more ice time, eh? Did you fail Grade 8 Math?

Eichel out produced Marner at 5 on 5 even when accounting for minutes played. That is with playing against tougher opposition, too. On a Sabres offense that produced significantly less offense than Toronto. Marner played with JVR and Bozak quite often, did he not? Definitely better than what Eichel had.

I also can't believe you asked if Eichel drives his own line.

It's tough to compare because they are in vastly situations. I don't think they're far apart but at the same time I wouldn't say they're super close either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rasmus Reichel

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Around a third more ice time, eh? Did you fail Grade 8 Math?

Eichel out produced Marner at 5 on 5 even when accounting for minutes played. That is with playing against tougher opposition, too. On a Sabres offense that produced significantly less offense than Toronto. Marner played with JVR and Bozak quite often, did he not? Definitely better than what Eichel had.

I also can't believe you asked if Eichel drives his own line.

It's tough to compare because they are in vastly situations. I don't think they're far apart but at the same time I wouldn't say they're super close either.

Let's see here
Marner TOI: 16:23
Eichel TOI: 20.09
Difference:3.997
% difference 25%
Sorry...1/4...not 1/3

Do you understand materiality or have you no education in basic arithmetic?
Perhaps you failed grade 1 math.

Add 1/4 on top of 69 pts and he is over 1 point a game. Too hard?
Everything else you said isn't even worth dealing with. I'd rather deal with someone who doesn't walk into sharp objects

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Should we bring up old Matthews, Marner, Nylander posts? Heck, we might as well bring up Liljegren while we are at it

Sure, but it won’t help you. The tune of the haters/Leaf-envy brigade was “wait until they play an actual NHL game.”

The Toronto Big 3 have proven themselves, so now we wait if Buffalo’s 3 can also prove it. Helpful insight, for your benefit: proving yourself in the NHL is harder than you think.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Let's see here
Marner TOI: 16:23
Eichel TOI: 20.09
Difference:3.997
% difference 25%
Sorry...1/4...not 1/3

Do you understand materiality or have you no education in basic arithmetic?
Perhaps you failed grade 1 math.

Add 1/4 on top of 69 pts and he is over 1 point a game. Too hard?
Everything else you said isn't even worth dealing with. I'd rather deal with someone who doesn't walk into sharp objects

How do you even get 1/3 by looking at their respective ice times? Any idiot can look at both of those numbers and immediately conclude "a quarter'. It's even funnier because you said "around one third" meaning you actually thought you were approximately correct.

"Everything else you said isn't even worth dealing with".

What a legendary retort.

Why don't you leave these threads to people who are capable of having intellectual discussion and go work on your mental math skills? Oh, and your ability to produce an actual response also needs work.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I'd really love to know why Matthews and Eichel are in the same tier but Eichel and Marner can't be, despite Matthews having by far the most complete game and a much bigger lead in offensive production. if Eichel's offensive, possession, and defensive games are all statistically closer to Marner than Matthews, then it would be pretty crazy to argue that Eichel is closer to Matthews

Not if you considered the context of team quality.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Sure, but it won’t help you. The tune of the haters/Leaf-envy brigade was “wait until they play an actual NHL game.”

The Toronto Big 3 have proven themselves, so now we wait if Buffalo’s 3 can also prove it. Helpful insight, for your benefit: proving yourself in the NHL is harder than you think.

Heck, I might even vote for the Sabres other 3 - ROR, Risto, Reinhart over the Leafs 3.

Sabres have the BIG 6. :nod:

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018

Dude, majority of Leafs fans have penciled Liljegren into a top 3 d man before he even set foot in NA, let alone the NHL :laugh:

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Easily the Buffalo trio, because you have a 1C & 1D in there. Middelstad is a bit of an unknown, but even if he tops out as a second liner I’d still take that trio.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Funny how the sabres were further along the rebuild but as soon as Matthews,Marner &Nylander materialize, the leafs are in the playoffs.
Marner drives his own line. Does Eichel? Marner's line is good because of Marner. [mod]

Eichel not only drives his own line, he drives the whole team. I know the Sabres haven’t been very exciting to watch recently, but you shouldn’t make such strong arguments if you have no idea what you are talking about.

Reactions: Rasmi

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
If Dahlin and mittelstadt live up to their expectations then I go for them,, but they're both wildcards while the leafs trio are known commodities so I vote for Matthews and co.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Eichel not only drives his own line, he drives the whole team. I know the Sabres haven’t been very exciting to watch recently, but you shouldn’t make such strong arguments if you have no idea what you are talking about.
All I here are excuses of lower points because of a poor supporting cast. You are either driving a line or you aren't. Stop making excuses

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
For now I'd take the Leafs combo by a hair.

Matthews
Eichel
Dahlin (once he's played in the NHL this might change)
Marner
Nylander
Mittelstadt

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Heck, I might even vote for the Sabres other 3 - ROR, Risto, Reinhart over the Leafs 3.

Sabres have the BIG 6. :nod:
Of course you would.

But here in the real world, Leafs will continue making the playoffs, while the Sabres continuously bath in high picks with their "big 6".

As for this question -- maybe third times a charm, and Buffalo will finally be proven right? I doubt it, but you never know. Crazier things have happened.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Of course you do
Do you have any thing of substance to offer? I see you in here thumping your chest about your opinions and yet it's the people with actual stats and backed up arguments who you think are wrong. :laugh::popcorn:

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
How do you even get 1/3 by looking at their respective ice times? Any idiot can look at both of those numbers and immediately conclude "a quarter'. It's even funnier because you said "around one third" meaning you actually thought you were approximately correct.
This is hilarious. A minute is a 6.67 differential on a base of 15. I didn't have the exact minutes and second memorized but 1/3 vs 1/4 effectively proved the same point. I correctly estimated a ppg threshold talked about earlier. Walk away genius...walk away :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Do you have any thing of substance to offer? I see you in here thumping your chest about your opinions and yet it's the people with actual stats and backed up arguments who you think are wrong. :laugh::popcorn:
I didn't see any stats? To say Marner has a shot at 95 points next year is laughable

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
All I here are excuses of lower points because of a poor supporting cast. You are either driving a line or you aren't. Stop making excuses

If you don't know how to think critically, don't bother participating in discussion. This is one of several times that you've shown an inability to provide coherent responses. Again, if you don't have the ability to formulate and articulate an argument, what are you even doing here?

Anyways, proving that Eichel "drives his own line" is one of the easiest things possible.

Jack Eichel:

ES primary points per game: 0.43 (29 in 67)
Closest teammate (Ryan O'Reilly): 0.22

It's clear to anyone with a shred of common sense that Eichel is driving not only his line, but his team. He isn't racking up secondary assists - he's the one making things happen. This is evident if you watch him, but it's also evident through the results he's achieved.

Mitch Marner:

ES primary points per game: 0.32 (26 in 82)

With Marner, his own linemate JVR actually had more ES primary points per game. So while I don't doubt Marner is the driver of that line, the evidence says JVR is a key cog in the offense as well.

Inevitably, you are going to bring up the factor of ice time, which is a fair point to consider. So let's account for that.

Jack Eichel: ES Primary points/60: 1.75
Mitch Marner: ES Primary points/60: 1.40

Jack Eichel: ES points/60: 2.11
Mitch Marner: ES points/60: 1.94

So even when factoring in for ice time, Eichel still comes out on top handily. Then we have to note that Eichel draws the top checkers and best defenceman from the other team...Marner doesn't for Toronto, that would be Matthews.

Given your responses so far in this thread, I don't expect you to be able to a) comprehend this or b) formulate a reasonable response, but Eichel quite clearly not only "drives his own line", but does so to a much greater extent than Marner.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
If you don't know how to think critically, don't bother participating in discussion. This is one of several times that you've shown an inability to provide coherent responses. Again, if you don't have the ability to formulate and articulate an argument, what are you even doing here?

Anyways, proving that Eichel "drives his own line" is one of the easiest things possible.

Jack Eichel:

ES primary points per game: 0.43 (29 in 67)
Closest teammate (Ryan O'Reilly): 0.22

It's clear to anyone with a shred of common sense that Eichel is driving not only his line, but his team. He isn't racking up secondary assists - he's the one making things happen. This is evident if you watch him, but it's also evident through the results he's achieved.

Mitch Marner:

ES primary points per game: 0.32 (26 in 82)

With Marner, his own linemate JVR actually had more ES primary points per game. So while I don't doubt Marner is the driver of that line, the evidence says JVR is a key cog in the offense as well.

Inevitably, you are going to bring up the factor of ice time, which is a fair point to consider. So let's account for that.

Jack Eichel: ES Primary points/60: 1.75
Mitch Marner: ES Primary points/60: 1.40

Jack Eichel: ES points/60: 2.11
Mitch Marner: ES points/60: 1.94

So even when factoring in for ice time, Eichel still comes out on top handily. Then we have to note that Eichel draws the top checkers and best defenceman from the other team...Marner doesn't for Toronto, that would be Matthews.

Given your responses so far in this thread, I don't expect you to be able to a) comprehend this or b) formulate a reasonable response, but Eichel quite clearly not only "drives his own line", but does so to a much greater extent than Marner.
This is tiresome. When he moved up to quality opposition and line mates (Second line) (last 30-40 games), his totals easily outpaces Eichels numbers. I suppose we shall see next year if it is sustainable (your next line of argument undoubtabley)

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
This is tiresome. When he moved up to quality opposition and line mates (Second line) (last 30-40 games), his totals easily outpaces Eichels numbers. I suppose we shall see next year if it is sustainable (your next line of argument undoubtabley)

Care to provide like, actual numbers? Also I've already accounted for ice time so it shouldn't matter if he was on lower lines. Eichel played with freaking Pominville and Girgensons for large chunks of the year.

And Sam Reinhart was a point per game player in the last 40 games when he got out of the bottom 6. I guess Reinhart>Nylander now?

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Care to provide like, actual numbers? Also I've already accounted for ice time so it shouldn't matter if he was on lower lines.

And Sam Reinhart was a point per game player in the last 40 games when he got out of the bottom 6. I guess Reinhart>Nylander now?
I have quick data it will serve the point.
Since Feb 1, 34 pts over 30 games (total minutes of 530.33). 1.13 ppg . Adjusting to 20min/game =1.28PPG

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
JE15 and AM34 are close to a wash with an edge to AM.

CM is an unproven quantity. Marner and Nylander are fine players but RD alone could and should be more valuable than both combined.

You're essentially asking if you'd prefer a couple of good young established players or a couple of unestablished ones, 1 of them potential to be a Hall of Famer.

RD and what he might be tip in the favor of Buffalo for me

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I have quick data it will serve the point.
Since Feb 1, 34 pts over 30 games (total minutes of 530.33). 1.13 ppg . Adjusting to 20min/game =1.28PPG

So a 30 game sample size is what you're going to hang your hat on.

Hilarious.

I guess Reinhart is now a p/gp player officially. Glad that Sam has finally surpassed Nylander.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad