Speculation: Matthews/Leafs closing in on new contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
That's a really bad deal for the amount of years we got. AAV is fine. Term is not.

Good for Matthews and his agent. They absolutely bent the Leafs over on that deal.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

92Chris93

Jun 4, 2018
Any chance leafs management foresees an adjustment to the CBA that would impact future contracts to the extent that they're goal all along was a short term deal?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The contract isn't great, but its fine, and you rather overpay a little. Dubas wouldn't want to risk an offersheet in the summer.
I am content with the deal but not thrilled.

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
Here is what I don't get... Why rush it? Let him finish the year. Maybe he has a poor playoff and you can argue that? Maybe he gets injured again? I mean you are basically all in anyway I doubt he can go up from here...

Which brings the next point. Dubas must think that an offersheet is a legitimate possibility and not only that, but that Matthews would consider signing it. It's the only possible reason to overpay so much with tons of time to get a deal done (months before the season starts) after preaching patience and if you have time use it.

If this is the case, why the **** is Dubas signing a guy who clearly doesn't have team loyalty and will chase money to basically UFA? He should be getting 8 years on this deal at the very least.

The more I think about it, the more reasons come up that just says this might actually be one of the worst contracts ever. Not because he is a bad player or anything (not Lucic bad) but bad as in for the value and based on comparable and his list of accomplishments, he has been vastly overpaid and Dubas is paying purely based on speculation and hypotheticals (counting on cap going up, counting on PPG translating over a full season, etc)

Two reasons you do it now:

1. Matthews with a half decent playoff run would demand even more money. Yes you can bet on him being worse but they actually did that when they didn’t try extending him last summer. And the reason they didn’t do that is because they didn’t want to set a floor for nylander to negotiate with, which leads to #2...

2. Marner is playing hardball and not gonna negotiate till Matthews number is set. So getting this done now can start the clock on Marner and getting that done. Simple.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
QDFVg9H.jpg

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
That is a total mess. Good job f***ing it up Dubas. Pay the premium for too few years. Straight into cap oblivion without even the cups to make it tolerable.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Considering the talent that Matthews is, I agree that this contract, while high, is the best course of action. However, not signing Matthews to 8x11 in the offseason will go down as Kyle Dubas' biggest error as a GM here. It was such an obvious thing to do and I think he over-thought it. That being said I think he will learn from it and be a great GM for us...
He is not a great GM he opens his big mouth and speaks in absolutes and it has cost us a lot of cap space and a very good player or two this coming year. His biggest mistake was worrying about signing Nylander and putting him in front of two vastly more important players.

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
I'm not sure why everyone here is complaining about the contract numbers, were you guys hoping he'd sign under 10 or get the Stamkos contract from a few years ago?

The cap is going up and will continue to go up and so will player salaries. The only thing that is unfortunate is that they didn't extend him on July 1, they may have saved about a mill had they done that.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
This is a great deal for Matthews, not so much for the Leafs.

Guy will be UFA at 26.

Which is not a problem IMO. Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Toews, Kane, Tavares all signed for 5-6 years and only one of them left because his team sucked.

I wanted Matthews signed on a short term deal to help out the Leafs cap situation but I thought that deal would come around 10M or less. Did not expect no discount and low term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad