Speculation: Matthews/Leafs closing in on new contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
The contract isn't great, but its fine, and you rather overpay a little. Dubas wouldn't want to risk an offersheet in the summer.
I am content with the deal but not thrilled.
that is stupid thinking, unlesss they can sign MM before july 1st.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Eventually, it'll look like a good deal, but Matthews took us to the cleaners. I would've been reluctantly ok with something like 11.5 per over 6 years, but over 5 years? smh. that extra year would've been really nice

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
You kind of argued against your point.

If Eichel is worth 13.3% of the cap, Matthews is definitely worth 13.5%. He's way better even if it is just a 5 year deal.
Matthews is worth 13-15% over 8 years, NOT 5 years. That's crazy talk.
Stamkos got 11.67% on a 5 year deal which puts Matthews at 9.67M for 5 years with cap inflation. That's a fair deal for both sides.

McDavid got 16.68% on an 8 year deal. 15% seems proper for Matthews and on an 83M cap he should be 12.45M on an 8 year deal. We can bump it to 12.5M-13M x 8 years and that's a fair deal for both sides.

Reactions: IPS

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Lots can happen in 5 years. not mad. window is wide open.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Dubas' main job has been to get our RFA's signed to fair deals.

He's failed miserably.
I don't know if I'd say he's failed miserably, but this is definitely a bad deal. Not sure how much Dubas could've done though, since losing him to an offersheet would've been a bigger failure

Melo Meds

Jul 30, 2018
If true that’s horrible for a guy who’s yet to break 70 points. As good as he is, there’s no way he should be getting more than 10.5 million at 5 years

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd

Reporter:
So now that you are signed Auston, what are the chances of keeping the core together and to play with all these amazing talent for years to come?

Auston:
giphy.gif

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Eventually, it'll look like a good deal, but Matthews took us to the cleaners. I would've been reluctantly ok with something like 11.5 per over 6 years, but over 5 years? smh. that extra year would've been really nice

Yeah, that deal is amazing for Matthews. He should never let go of his agent.

Dubas and the Leafs got bent on this deal.

Hope Marner's agent isn't as good otherwise we're f***ed.

Reactions: diceman934

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm a big fan of Dubas, but I hope the media asks some tough questions at the media conference whenever this gets done.

What comparable was used to get to this contract?
Why are the Leafs RFA's getting more money and less term than other top RFA's?

etc etc

Because Tavares got $11 mil per and AM was going to become the highest paid Leaf, as that UFA contract was used to set Leafs internal pay scale.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Yeah, that deal is amazing for Matthews. He should never let go of his agent.

Dubas and the Leafs got bent on this deal.

Hope Marner's agent isn't as good otherwise we're ****ed.
Yeah we are f***ed lol Darren Farris is notorious around the league for driving a ridiculously hard deal.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
If it was announced even three weeks ago that Matthews signed for even $10 million per over five years, leaf fans would have lost their collective minds in pure genuine fury. Even the usual suspects that defend everything this team does (even during the Burke/Nonis years) would be outraged at that contract.

So law knew just what to do. They leaked some “speculations” as high as $13 million over 5-6 years as a means of pouring gasoline on the fire. Some of mlse controlled media outlets released some propaganda trying to explain that $13 mil/6 isn’t that unreasonable. All the fans get scared and furious.

Then they drop their bombshell of $10.5x5 or something, and the easily controlled leaf fans all breath a sigh of relief and say “It’s not perfect, but could have been so much worse.”

You’re all being controlled. You’re all behaving precisey how they knew you would.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad