Speculation: Matthews/Leafs closing in on new contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Crosby, Ovechkin and McDavid should not be comparable for Matthews. All three of them won multiple major awards. Matthews came close to a Rocket but besides that he hasn't been close to the other awards.

He's had injuries in two straight years as well.

Matthews is worth 11-12M but not on a short term deal. The term should have been 7 or 8 years.
I do not understand how Matthews injury history is not being brought up.... Yes his points and goals per game and per 60 are amazing but imagine giving a guy 11.5 x 5 when his Max point total was 69....

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
Matthews is a liar. He dosen't care about the team and the cap like he's letting on. He just want's his money. He dosen't deserve the C, and it's a shame that he's wearing the leaf logo.
I've been waiting well over 30 years for the Leafs to win the cup, and at this rate i'll have to wait 30 more.

Reactions: Kamiccolo and IPS

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I don't think you've even convinced yourself that this is a blessing. I'd want the Leafs to sign their franchise player for 20 years if they could, potential major injuries be damned.

This is flat out Dubas getting bullied around again.

oh trust me I couldn't care less whether the deal is a couple years longer or a couple years shorter.

doesn't matter to me one iota. i see as many upsides as downsides either way.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Does no one else remember when we were confirmed out on Babcock and he was signing in Buffalo? Or when it was crickets right up until the Leafs twitter broke the Muzzin deal?

Chill the f*** out until something is announced

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I didn't realize there were only 5 franchise players in the league

Kopitar signed for 12% for 7 years coming off his ELC
Seguin signed for 12.5% for 8 years recently buying UFA years
Stamkos signed 11.66% for 5 years off his ELC
Barkov signed 8.08% for 6 years off his ELC (what a steal)
Eichel signed 13.33% for 8 years off his ELC (best comparable)
MacKinnon signed 8.63% for 7 years off his ELC (another steal)

so why is Matthews signing 13.5% for 5 years a good deal, when any of the above (particularly Eichel) would be a comparable

You kind of argued against your point.

If Eichel is worth 13.3% of the cap, Matthews is definitely worth 13.5%. He's way better even if it is just a 5 year deal.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Dubas is removing all doubt. 11.5 for 5 years. What a joke. Now it is going to cost us 10 plus for Marner on a similar term. That is a joke. Those are 8 years numbers not 5 year deals.

We are setting the Market did it with Nylander and now Mathews. Those are the top of the heap contracts and not fair type deals he said he was looking to sign these guys at.

Kypreos suggested Point would sign at 8.5 or 9.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Sure

Tell me that when we never win a cup, have players walk because of cap, and watch Tampa sign Point for 8.5 and win a cup.

Sure

The point I am making here is that, (for once), I have real trust in management. Shanny/Dubas, I trust they will make quality, calculated decisions.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Cap is likely 83 million next year, not 85. Hoping with the new TV deal and Seattle we will see some big increases over the next 5 years.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Here is what I don't get... Why rush it? Let him finish the year. Maybe he has a poor playoff and you can argue that? Maybe he gets injured again? I mean you are basically all in anyway I doubt he can go up from here...

Which brings the next point. Dubas must think that an offersheet is a legitimate possibility and not only that, but that Matthews would consider signing it. It's the only possible reason to overpay so much with tons of time to get a deal done (months before the season starts) after preaching patience and if you have time use it.

If this is the case, why the f*** is Dubas signing a guy who clearly doesn't have team loyalty and will chase money to basically UFA? He should be getting 8 years on this deal at the very least.

The more I think about it, the more reasons come up that just says this might actually be one of the worst contracts ever. Not because he is a bad player or anything (not Lucic bad) but bad as in for the value and based on comparable and his list of accomplishments, he has been vastly overpaid and Dubas is paying purely based on speculation and hypotheticals (counting on cap going up, counting on PPG translating over a full season, etc)

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I didn't realize there were only 5 franchise players in the league

Kopitar signed for 12% for 7 years coming off his ELC
Seguin signed for 12.5% for 8 years recently buying UFA years
Stamkos signed 11.66% for 5 years off his ELC
Barkov signed 8.08% for 6 years off his ELC (what a steal)
Eichel signed 13.33% for 8 years off his ELC (best comparable)
MacKinnon signed 8.63% for 7 years off his ELC (another steal)

so why is Matthews signing 13.5% for 5 years a good deal, when any of the above (particularly Eichel) would be a comparable

Well what do ya know! When the actual comparisons come out (GTFO with these Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin ones) $11.5M looks completely absurd.

I really do hope people wake up to how insane this is.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Giving Matthews 11.5 - 11.7M on a 5 year deal is going to make Marner negotiations an absolute headache. There is no way he comes under 10M now.

Lets just hope that the Leafs win some playoffs series and help increase the HRR which in turn helps the cap go up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->