Speculation: Matthew's happy with contract progress

When does he sign

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Because again that’s what actually happened. The first guys took bare minimum on their first year to get as much of their contract as they could. So it’s virtually the same.

They missed like 10 percent of one season where they earned way less so it’s negligible

Nylander got paid up front so the cap hit is way different. Because he only makes 41.77
Million. Not 45.

Try it the other way. Say you are Nylander and u just signed a 6 year 45 million deal

Why would you take all the money up front? If he took less this year he would have got close to the 45 million.

Depending on the way the money was structured. His “cap friendly” number would be dramatically different.

What is not different is the actual contract and value. No matter the hits no matter the structure the 41.77/6 will always be the number. Because that’s the contract.

The truth never changes.

So if the change in aav isn’t big enough between year one, and the rest of the contract, we just pretend it didn’t happen at all? Lindholm’s caphit was 500k higher year one compared to years 2-6. Not as extreme as nylanders of course, but just ignored outright?

Nobody points to Troubas and Lindholms post 1st year cap saving aav as their contract amount. That only seems to be happening with Nylander.

I’m not sure if “but the changes in cap hit weren’t as extreme” is a good enough excuse...

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
So if the change in aav isn’t big enough between year one, and the rest of the contract, we just pretend it didn’t happen at all? Lindholm’s caphit was 500k higher year one compared to years 2-6. Not as extreme as nylanders of course, but just ignored outright?

Nobody points to Troubas and Lindholms post 1st year cap saving aav as their contract amount. That only seems to be happening with Nylander.

I’m not sure if “but the changes in cap hit weren’t as extreme” is a good enough excuse...

They do though. The cap hits are different by year. It’s there. People may choose not to make a big deal about it when reporting.

Just like when they call Nylander 6.96. Not all the decimals.

Again if you really think that he got 45 million... why would he just give 3.23 million back?

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
They do though. The cap hits are different by year. It’s there. People may choose not to make a big deal about it when reporting.

Again if you really think that he got 45 million... why would he just give 3.23 million back?
Nhl.com in this article states 6 years, $45 million contract. It then explains that the aav gets lowered years 2-6 due to him missing October and November.

Leafs Sign Nylander To Long Term Deal

I’m honestly not sure how other gm’s/agents will view it. And I don’t think you’re sure either. Despite the arrogance.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Nhl.com in this article states 6 years, $45 million contract. It then explains that the aav gets lowered years 2-6 due to him missing October and November.

I’m honestly not sure how other gm’s/agents will view it. And I don’t think you’re sure either. Despite the arrogance.

No I’m sure. You have been trying for days to discredit the signing. You went from 6.96 being too much to now it really being 7.5

He gets 41.77 over 6 years that’s the total value.

Again say they say “well Nylander got 45/6”.

Ok well he also gave 3 million back before playing a game. You are welcome to do the same ......

Again if he really signed a 45 million dollar contract..... why would he give it back?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

So the NHL thinks he signed a 45m contact as does cap friendly and on here people think he signed a contract for 41.77 which is laughable.

Reactions: dsred

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
No I’m sure. You have been trying for days to discredit the signing. You went from 6.96 being too much to now it really being 7.5

He gets 41.77 over 6 years that’s the total value.

Again say they say “well Nylander got 45/6”.

Ok well he also gave 3 million back before playing a game. You are welcome to do the same ......

Again if he really signed a 45 million dollar contract..... why would he give it back?

I still love "6.9" The only example spanning all human history where a 6 is rounded down to zero.

Anyways, the only debate is whether Nylander is dramatically overpaid at 7x6, or excessively overpaid at 7.5x6. Either way, it's still a bullshit contract.

I love how an nhl.com article clearly labels it as a 6 year/$45 million contract, as well as explaining the year 2-6 aav situation. But that's still not good enough to even make it questionable for you. You're just CERTAIN you're right, regardless of what even nhl dot f***ing com says.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
So the NHL thinks he signed a 45m contact as does cap friendly and on here people think he signed a contract for 41.77 which is laughable.

They also think that his cap hit for years 2-6 is 6.9 million. Is that also accurate?? Or is it 6.96.

Whoops. Acting like Adam proteau a writer knows more than bob McKenzie is as foolish as pretending you know that Matthews would have signed for 11 million. this summer if it wasn’t for that pesky Nylander

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I still love "6.9" The only example spanning all human history where a 6 is rounded down to zero.

Anyways, the only debate is whether Nylander is dramatically overpaid at 7x6, or excessively overpaid at 7.5x6. Either way, it's still a bull**** contract.

I love how an nhl.com article clearly labels it as a 6 year/$45 million contract, as well as explaining the year 2-6 aav situation. But that's still not good enough to even make it questionable for you. You're just CERTAIN you're right, regardless of what even nhl dot ****ing com says.

Except he reported it wrong. 6.9 for years 2-6??????
What you are complaining about regarding accuracy Is literally in the article you just posted.

Whoops.

Adam proteau is a writer. Not not nhl head office. Just like Andy Petrillo doesn’t work for the leafs head office .

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Except he reported it wrong. 6.9 for years 2-6??????
What you are complaining about regarding accuracy Is literally in the article you just posted.

Whoops.
Yes, it's literally in every article. 6 rounded down to zero. The leafs PR team was out in full force once that contract was announced. Can't blame them. Was a dramatic overpayment.

Was this sidestep a surrender?

Adam proteau is a writer. Not not nhl head office.

So artciles on nhl.com can't be as trusted as "Clark34 on the internet".

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
If Matthews gets 6 years by 11+, I will have no faith in Dubas when it comes to negotiating contracts. Matthews signing a 6 year deal is supposed to give us a lower AAV, Not a high cap like that.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
This is why quite a few of us were hoping Dubas stuck to his guns with Nylander. If he got pushed around and schooled with him, it would have a trickle down affect with Matthews/Marner.

If it's 5 years, it should be $9.5-9.8 range, it would be silly if it's $10-11 with only 5 years.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
This is why quite a few of us were hoping Dubas stuck to his guns with Nylander. If he got pushed around and schooled with him, it would have a trickle down affect with Matthews/Marner.

If it's 5 years, it should be $9.5-9.8 range, it would be silly if it's $10-11 with only 5 years.

$10-11 is already high for 6 years. Ludicrous at 5 years.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
This is why quite a few of us were hoping Dubas stock to his guns with Nylander. If he got pushed around and schooled with him, it would have a trickle down affect with Matthews/Marner.

I think, without a doubt, the leafs would right now be in a better bargaining position with Matthews and Marner if Dubas didn't cave to Nylander. Even if Nylander was sitting out right now, (and, gasp, we'd be missing out on his 3 goal pace over 82 games), it would really help the negotiation.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
his caphit is never, ever, $7.5m

ever.

Did I say it was? What are you on about Zeke? I provided a link with all the details re. the cap hit, if there are any mistakes there please let us all know.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto

Leafs, Nylander ink 6-year deal before deadline

"The first season carries a prorated $10 million salary that comes out to $6.77 million, including a $2 million signing bonus. That means it has a current season average annual value of $10.2 million. The "out years" of the contract after this season carry a cap hit of $6.9 million."

This is no secret. Funny some of the posters liking comments know this 100% but refuse to correct it.

Reactions: diceman934

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
$10-11 is already high for 6 years. Ludicrous at 5 years.

Agreed. For $10-11, it should be 7 or 8 years without a doubt. Fair price for 5/6 years would be in $9 range.

I think, without a doubt, the leafs would right now be in a better bargaining position with Matthews and Marner if Dubas didn't cave to Nylander. Even if Nylander was sitting out right now, (and, gasp, we'd be missing out on his 3 goal pace over 82 games), it would really help the negotiation.

Yep. Most people in hockey world knew it would be a defining moment for him, as his a first time GM in the NHL. Negotiations went the distance, and he actually got paid more than players who are better than him hands down.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Yes, it's literally in every article. 6 rounded down to zero. The leafs PR team was out in full force once that contract was announced. Can't blame them. Was a dramatic overpayment.

Was this sidestep a surrender?

So artciles on nhl.com can't be as trusted as "Clark34 on the internet".

No. I’m not the one who reported it.

Bob McKenzie and multiple people who are recognized as insiders reported that the total value of the contract is 6 years x 41.77.

Are you actually saying that Adam proteau has access to nhl contracts and has more
Accurate information than bob McKenzie? Is he on the radio or followed???? Because he writes mock drafts for a website? Again Is the host of leafs lunch an insider?

How do you not understand this? It’s pretty basic. NHL contracts are always and have always been reported as year x dollars.

Nylanders total contract is 41.77 million dollars. For your idea to be accurate. Then Nylander would have had to willingly give up 3.23’million.

You think that’s what happened? Nylander willingly gave up 3.23 million?

Again explain how retirements affect things. If marleau retires. Does his contract change?
If contracts are different based on games played.. then they wouldn’t be year contracts. They would be game contracts Look at jagr. Look at berglund. They just left.... what happens to them?

Do their contracts get re written?

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
They also think that his cap hit for years 2-6 is 6.9 million. Is that also accurate?? Or is it 6.96.

Whoops. Acting like Adam proteau a writer knows more than bob McKenzie is as foolish as pretending you know that Matthews would have signed for 11 million. this summer if it wasn’t for that pesky Nylander

Here's the thing... nhl contracts are given out by the number of SEASONS, not months. So any player looking at Nylanders contract as a comparable will look at this overall 6 FULL SEASON number, which is 6/$45 million.

So let's imagine a player with the PRECISE same numbers as Nylander over his elc and he wants the PRECISE same contract. If he signed before the beginning of the season (and thus played 2 more months than Nylander), wouldn't he ask for 6/$45 million? Come on... you know he would. And that should be the end of this discussion. (But I doubt it will).

If the gm insisted on 6/41 million (like Nylander got), wouldn't the player just say "Fine, but, just like Nylander, I'm waiting till Dec 1st"?

So over FULL seasons, Nylanders value is 6/$45 million.

Game. Set. Match.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad