When does he sign

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Yeah, I noticed that as well. Maybe AM and MM can give some money back for Kappy.

It is all a guess anyway. He has no idea who stays, who goes and who arrives in the summer.

Marner already has like what? 4-5 commercials? is making coin off being the baby face leaf (life long fan, who is a great player)

I know it's not crazy money, maybe 500k, but it's something I doubt he gets on 90% of other teams.

I know his GF doesn't want to leave the city, so that's another 500k :sarcasm:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
So, at this point (lol), are you saying you're still ONE HUNDRED PERCENT POSITIVE that quite literally every agent and gm in the nhl views this contract as PRECISELY 41.77/6 years?
Or, as many of were suggesting, is it maybe a little more complicated than that?

Don't use spin. Don't side step. It doesn't make you look better. Just admit it. You'll feel better for it.
Just admit that you probably overstepped on this one...

I believe that contract law is contract law. They would be trained in contract law as
Agents so yes i believe that they should know that the total payable over the years is the actual agreed to contract. That’s what you initial. That’s what would go to court.

Just like I believe that people who buy cars should know that if you have payments on a car should know that the agreed payable is the actual money you owe....... regardless of what the ad said

Do I think they will argue whatever they can to get their client money? Sure. But would they actually understand contracts? Sure.

I can totally see a player say “why should he get paid for being off when I work”.

Sure. I can see people being mad about it. But the contract is the contract and the structure was Clearly based on the cap

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
I believe that contract law is contract law. They would be trained in contract law as
Agents so yes i believe that they should know that the total payable over the years is the actual agreed to contract. That’s what you initial. That’s what would go to court.

Just like I believe that people who buy cars should know that if you have payments on a car should know that the agreed payable is the actual money you owe....... regardless of what the ad said

Do I think they will argue whatever they can to get their client money? Sure. But would they actually understand contracts? Sure.

I can totally see a player say “why should he get paid for being off when I work”.

Sure. I can see people being mad about it. But the contract is the contract and the structure was Clearly based on the cap

Did you see that? That is 7 million worth and much more.

This is the willy we all want.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So, at this point (lol), are you saying you're still ONE HUNDRED PERCENT POSITIVE that quite literally every agent and gm in the nhl views this contract as PRECISELY 41.77/6 years?
Or, as many of were suggesting, is it maybe a little more complicated than that?

Don't use spin. Don't side step. It doesn't make you look better. Just admit it. You'll feel better for it.
Just admit that you probably overstepped on this one...

Theyll view it (particularly during actual negotiations) as the actual number, not the fake one you keep pretending is real.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Did you see that? That is 7 million worth and much more.

This is the willy we all want.
So Nylander makes 41.77 for 5.7 seasons.
If our hypothetical player with identical numbers signs 41.77/6 years, is he just playing 2 months for free? Those are "volunteer" months?

KE19

Jan 30, 2019
11-12m for 5-6 years to be announced this week according to Bobby Mac.

I told you this is how this saga would end.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Dubas and company are absolutely atrocious negotiators if Matthews is 11M on a 5-6 year deal! That’s horrendous.

I too am borderline disgusted if what all the insiders are reporting is true. Matthews is a great player but he is not in the same breath as McJesus. Not yet anyways. Furthermore if you are going to get to free agency like Stamkos and JT you take a much lower AAV and only sign for 5 years. 11 million is not what you give the player, I don’t care who you are. Larkin got 6.1, is Matthews 5 million more a season better than Larkin? I don’t think so. If that is the way Matthews and his agent want to pay his hand I would rather trade him to Zona for a bucketload of players.

Nylander is basically getting 50% of his contract paid in the first two seasons because we can. No other team does this for any players. McJesus is one of the few, JT got this done too this summer but he earned it IMO taking slightly less than market value.

Last edited:
Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He's as dug in as the Nylander camp. I gave up 4 hours ago and I am all the more sane for it. :)
I am not banging my head against the wall no longer as well.

I hope Mathews signs for less then the reported numbers but sadly I think that the numbers will be 11m x5 or 12m x 6 or very close. Right now they are just looking at the contract structure and how much is bonus money and how much is salary etc. Maybe we can get him for 6 years at 11.5 . Either way he will be overpaid for what he has produced.

Dubas is quickly determining the Market for players something he said he did not want to do and this will be contract number two that is doing exactly that. Marner will be number 3.

Reactions: ToneDog

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
If our hypothetical player with identical numbers signs 41.77/6 years, is he just playing 2 months for free? Those are "volunteer" months?

Don't think you meant to quote me, but Ill call them volunteer games if he can close out with 20 more games like tonight :laugh:

Play like a 7mil player, get treated like one, simple.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Theyll view it (particularly during actual negotiations) as the actual number, not the fake one you keep pretending is real.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
Dubas and company are absolutely atrocious negotiators if Matthews is 11M on a 5-6 year deal! That’s horrendous.
Yup, should be fired if these rumors are true. It will also tell me a lot about Matthews as a player, because if these rumors are true then he's in it for the money and not the team like he says.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I too am borderline disgusted if what all the insiders are reporting is true. Matthews is a great player but he is not in the same breath as McJesus. Not yet anyways. Furthermore if you are going to get to free agency like Stamkos and JT you take a much lower AAV and only sign for 5 years. 11 million is not what you give the player, I don’t care who you are. Larkin got 6.1, is Matthews 5 million more a season better than Larkin? I don’t think so. If that is the way Matthews and his agent want to pay his hand I would rather trade him to Zona for a bucketload of players.

Nylander is basically getting 50% of his contract paid in the first two seasons because we can. No other team does this for any players. McJesus is one of the few, JT got this done too this summer but he earned it IMO taking slightly less than market value.

I was actually advocating a 5-6 year deal for Matthews because I thought that would definitely come under 10 and helps us out a lot for the next five year (the most likely years where we can win it all with everyone in their prime).

11M on a 6 year deal gives him market value and doesn’t even give us 8 years. Why do we do this? Are we that afraid of an offersheet?

Makes no sense at all. Matthews has no hardware comparable to McDavid.

I think he’s absolutely a top 10 player but he’s not McDavid. Doesn’t deserve 11M on a 6 year deal. That is just plain bad unless they have done the math and know in advance that the cap is going to skyrocket in the coming years (doubtful).

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
His salary is 7.5m per year. He did not get paid for the time he did not play this year. So this meant that he did not earn all of his 7.5m this year and this reduced his salary and the cap hit over the term of the contact.
Maybe try reading the post of mine that you quoted would be a good start.

You enjoy telling people to read but fail to follow your own advise.

His salary is 7.5m per year. He did not get paid for the time he did not play this year. So this meant that he did not earn all of his 7.5m this year and this reduced his salary and the cap hit over the term of the contact.

We agree on that yet you still want to argue and post nonsense. You do not need me to do this with you simply get a mirror and continue.
You said he's paid 7.5M per. That's not true. He is paid a total 41.77 million over 6 years for 6.96 per year.

My definition of "he gets paid X" is that X is the amount he gets paid. Not what he could have been paid if circumstances were different.

Reactions: kb and Menzinger

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
In a way he is correct. Nylanders cap hit is 10+ mil this season and 6.96 for years 2-6. If you added it up, and devide by 6 it would average to 7.5mil.

So while 6.96 is the vast majority of the contract cap hit, you also can't ignore 10+ this season. There is a reason his cap hit is 10+ this year, and that is because it adds up to 45mil.

But, the money is 100% 41.77 in the account. I don't think many, if any, are disputing that.

I agree with everything you are saying. That poster is trying to argue that nylander is on a 45 million dollar contract and that now he is grossly overpaid based on comparables.

It’s this weird thing he has been doing for days

Reactions: saffronleaf

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He can deal with it for 1 year. We gain almost 10 million in cap space thc following year with Marleau and cap rising
His comparables at this point would be about a 3x3 contract. Short contracts to guys with just one good year is usually not very big.

I agree with everything you are saying. That poster is trying to argue that nylander is on a 45 million dollar contract and that now he is grossly overpaid based on comparables.

It’s this weird thing he has been doing for days
The thing is, the cap hit is 10+ mil over the whole season. The amount that he will cost against the cap is actually the same 6.96 as the other years, as his contract doesn't start counting before Dec 1st. You know how teams can afford expensive players at the TDL? That's because if you acquire someone at that point, only what remains of their cap hit from that point on matters. It's the same with Willy.

It's devised that way so that teams can't sign players later and get a cheap cap hit the first year.

Edit: Quoting each other, I see. I think we should just drop the Nylander discussion in the Matthews thread though, it really has nothing to do with the topic.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
His comparables at this point would be about a 3x3 contract. Short contracts to guys with just one good year is usually not very big.

The thing is, the cap hit is 10+ mil over the whole season. The amount that he will cost against the cap is actually the same 6.96 as the other years. It's devised that way so that teams can't sign players later and get a cheap cap hit the first year.

Yes. I agree. He signed a 6 x 6.96 contrac
People are arguing its really a 7.5 contract

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Matthew's at 11 for 8 years I'm good with, at 6 years? I could stomach it but I feel it should be under 11 at that term. And 5×11 is just a failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad