Speculation: Matthew's happy with contract progress

When does he sign

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Fingers crossed that it ends up being a contract that isn't ugly to look at. If you are bringing down the years then better get a good cap hit out of it. Otherwise what is the rush signing anything?

No contract for Matthews will be ugly unless he’s getting max. He’s a top 10 player in the league. I’d just be disappointed we couldn’t do better term wise if he signs what is being reported.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I said last summer that the important stuff isn't whether we get Nylander on 500k too much or not, because when it's a rare talent you can afford to pay a little extra. What you can't do is keep giving replacement level players an extra million, or sign aging veterans for a couple of million only to see them regress. That's where you really need to be cap smart because the amount of similar players are much higher, and you're closer to a level that a league minimum guy can provide.

That holds true even more for Matthews, obviously.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Stamkos got 11.67% on a 5 year deal which puts Matthews at 9.67M for 5 years

McDavid got 16.68% on an 8 year deal. 15% seems proper for Matthews and on an 83M cap he should be 12.45M on an 8 year deal. We can bump it to 12.5M flat x 8 years and the math at least holds up for me.

As long as I can understand how the contract got to the number that it did, I am fine with it but 5x11 or 6x12 is just stupid and the mark of a (rushed) rookie GM if it did happen. Main stream media track record lately is poor though.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
No contract for Matthews will be ugly unless he’s getting max. He’s a top 10 player in the league. I’d just be disappointed we couldn’t do better term wise if he signs what is being reported.

It has been reported that the Leafs wanted the shorter term in order to fit everybody under the cap. I just hope it is 6 years so that it expires when JT's contract expires.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It has been reported that the Leafs wanted the shorter term in order to fit everybody under the cap. I just hope it is 6 years so that it expires when JT's contract expires.

This is flawed thinking on so many levels because the savings aren't significant enough at the end of the day. Again, stressing "if true".

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I said last summer that the important stuff isn't whether we get Nylander on 500k too much or not, because when it's a rare talent you can afford to pay a little extra. What you can't do is keep giving replacement level players an extra million, or sign aging veterans for a couple of million only to see them regress. That's where you really need to be cap smart because the amount of similar players are much higher, and you're closer to a level that a league minimum guy can provide.

That holds true even more for Matthews, obviously.
yeah, I don't see any reason to worry about his number. there's not much GMs can do with elite talents besides pay them, unless they get really lucky. Smart GMs find a way to make up for it with other players, and I see no reason Dubas won't be able to do that

Reactions: Nithoniniel

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
This is flawed thinking on so many levels because the savings aren't significant enough at the end of the day. Again, stressing "if true".

Agreed. I prefer to lock up Matty for 8 years. I am OK with Mitch for fewer years because I feel comfortable that we can resign him.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010

I agree.

Unless the ask is something stupid like 13.5-14, I'd rather do eight years at 13 than six at 12.

Throw a couple picks in with Zaitsev and ship him off for the extra room.

Its not a good deal, but something closer to 11 for 6 is acceptable.

I don't care to debate on Dubas (I know your opinion on him) but this just seems like such a Toronto thing. Even when they've turned the corner they're late to the party. It figures it was our generation of top tier RFAs who finally realized they're worth more than the vast majority of veterans.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I agree.

Unless the ask is something stupid like 13.5-14, I'd rather do eight years at 13 than six at 12.

Throw a couple picks in with Zaitsev and ship him off for the extra room.

Its not a good deal, but something closer to 11 for 6 is acceptable.

I don't care to debate on Dubas (I know your opinion on him) but this just seems like such a Toronto thing. Even when they've turned the corner they're late to the party. It figures it was our generation of top tier RFAs who finally realized they're worth more than the vast majority of veterans.

We should have gotten their contracts done sooner and just the other thing is 1-2M won't make a difference, a slightly better 3rd liner? Keeping Connor Brown? I'd ultimately rather have Matthews signed on longer then anything 1-2M in cap space gets us.

Reactions: Jmo89

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I too am borderline disgusted if what all the insiders are reporting is true. Matthews is a great player but he is not in the same breath as McJesus. Not yet anyways. Furthermore if you are going to get to free agency like Stamkos and JT you take a much lower AAV and only sign for 5 years. 11 million is not what you give the player, I don’t care who you are. Larkin got 6.1, is Matthews 5 million more a season better than Larkin? I don’t think so. If that is the way Matthews and his agent want to pay his hand I would rather trade him to Zona for a bucketload of players.

Nylander is basically getting 50% of his contract paid in the first two seasons because we can. No other team does this for any players. McJesus is one of the few, JT got this done too this summer but he earned it IMO taking slightly less than market value.

The problem is McDavid’s agent did a very poor job of negotiating. No way AM should pay for their mistake.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Stamkos got 11.67% on a 5 year deal which puts Matthews at 9.67M for 5 years

McDavid got 16.68% on an 8 year deal. 15% seems proper for Matthews and on an 83M cap he should be 12.45M on an 8 year deal. We can bump it to 12.5M flat x 8 years and the math at least holds up for me.

As long as I can understand how the contract got to the number that it did, I am fine with it but 5x11 or 6x12 is just stupid and the mark of a (rushed) rookie GM if it did happen. Main stream media track record lately is poor though.

If Dubas agrees to that then he is a MORON

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If Dubas agrees to that then he is a MORON

I feel like I have underestimated him a lot since he has been hired. The Muzzin deal he did well on, it didn't immediately solve the RD issue but switching Rielly to RD has worked out. He also had some insight on Sandin and got us an extra 3rd out of it.

I think he got a lesson in the Nylander negotiations but I am hoping he doesn't do the opposite this time and rush the Matthews deal because you're right, those aren't good deals for the Leafs to sign.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Not the same agent though.

I heard Orr say that and I think it’s just an absolute horrible thing for an agent to say. Like I said, they did a terrible job negotiating McDavids contract.

It’s his agency. Orr is the boss. Matthews said the same thing. Ultimately all that matters is the number. We will see

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad