Halifax, NS
Marner 93
Nylander 92 or 62
Matthews 19

If I was given the choice I would anoint the numbers as such:

Marner - 93
Nylander - 88
Matthews - 34

But at the end of the day, it's just a number so it's no big deal. But at the same time I hope the kids feel comfortable enough to speak up if they aren't happy and want to change their jersey number. That way they don't just hold onto the number given ala Kadri.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If I was given the choice I would anoint the numbers as such:

Marner - 93
Nylander - 88
Matthews - 34

But at the end of the day, it's just a number so it's no big deal. But at the same time I hope the kids feel comfortable enough to speak up if they aren't happy and want to change their jersey number. That way they don't just hold onto the number given ala Kadri.
Lou's pretty strict on numbers, although maybe with Shanahan he changes that belief. Personally I don't really care. The only number a player could wear that I wouldn't buy is 69 because you'd look like a tool in it. I would like to see more kids embrace the traditional great numbers like the best player wears 9. As a pretty avid follower of soccer, it'd be cool to see a number have the luster like 7 does at Manchester United (Best, Robson, Beckham, Ronaldo) and it truly being an honour to have it assigned to you. 9, 14, and 27 could be our versions of that.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Lou's pretty strict on numbers, although maybe with Shanahan he changes that belief. Personally I don't really care. The only number a player could wear that I wouldn't buy is 69 because you'd look like a tool in it. I would like to see more kids embrace the traditional great numbers like the best player wears 9. As a pretty avid follower of soccer, it'd be cool to see a number have the luster like 7 does at Manchester United (Best, Robson, Beckham, Ronaldo) and it truly being an honour to have it assigned to you. 9, 14, and 27 could be our versions of that.

If we could somehow restart the old tradition of a former Leafs great giving their number to a future star that'd be perfect

13 -> Nylander
9 -> Matthews
93 -> Marner

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Ever since the Leafs won the draft lottery the Matthes machine has gone into overhype mode. (Overhyper Drive?)

Especially on TSN.
He's been insanely hyped for a while, but you'll hear more now since there's been events (draft lottery and World Championships)

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Ever since the Leafs won the draft lottery the Matthes machine has gone into overhype mode. (Overhyper Drive?)

Especially on TSN.

yeah a little bit but it's like this every year. TSN is mainly a hockey site, it promotes the crap out of anything hockey. Matthews is getting more hyped because he's going to be playing in Toronto, it's the market at play. Don't blame them. Plus I'm sure in the bigger picture the NHL will look forward to tv ratings climbing if/when Matthews leads the Leafs to the playoffs or "gasp" a Cup. The NHL needs a good hype story in their biggest market.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
If we could somehow restart the old tradition of a former Leafs great giving their number to a future star that'd be perfect

13 -> Nylander
9 -> Matthews
93 -> Marner

The numbers should be the same for each team and should be assigned as per the position they play, for example the goal tenders should be numbered 1 and 2 and the "D" should be numbered from 3 to 10 and like wise the forwards should be 11 - 23 and any call up should be 24 and over, there has to be some discipline. Picking numbers like 66, 99, 88 is more of a showoff (that you are some one very special and you should be assigned a special number)

GojuLeaf

May 3, 2010
The numbers should be the same for each team and should be assigned as per the position they play, for example the goal tenders should be numbered 1 and 2 and the "D" should be numbered from 3 to 10 and like wise the forwards should be 11 - 23 and any call up should be 24 and over, there has to be some discipline. Picking numbers like 66, 99, 88 is more of a showoff (that you are some one very special and you should be assigned a special number)

Wow way to make number selection boring and impersonal.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Wow way to make number selection boring and impersonal.

No that' how it should be - or else give the liberty to every single player to pick their own numbers and you are going to see all kinds of weird numbers like birth day or may be birth year (like 1997)

GojuLeaf

May 3, 2010
No that' how it should be - or else give the liberty to every single player to pick their own numbers and you are going to see all kinds of weird numbers like birth day or may be birth year (like 1997)

Whats wrong with 97?
.let them use any number they want. Its their jersey, they have to wear it on their back.
We already take these 18 year olds away from friends and family to a random city, let them pick their numbers.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Whats wrong with 97?
.let them use any number they want. Its their jersey, they have to wear it on their back.
We already take these 18 year olds away from friends and family to a random city, let them pick their numbers.

Who am I to stop any one - but giving special treatment to some of the kids is not right

Shwaguy*

The only thing I prefer about Laine over Matthews is his Interview game.

Matthews is gonna follow in Crosby and Toews footsteps in that regard at the very least.

Shwaguy*

literally nothing wrong with showing off so I don't see the issue?

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
The only thing I prefer about Laine over Matthews is his Interview game.

Matthews is gonna follow in Crosby and Toews footsteps in that regard at the very least.

Don't worry, Crosby had 1 interview that made headlines once. That means Matthews will give us 1 too at some point :)

Shwaguy*

Don't worry, Crosby had 1 interview that made headlines once. That means Matthews will give us 1 too at some point :)

LOL I can only hope so.

But I thought Laine's draft lotto interview was the GOAT lol.

God I can't wait till we have a decade of epic playoff moments to look over like that :handclap:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

:laugh: and you could tell that he's being "diplomatic" in that response, because normal people would be

"I don't like them"
"Why not?"
"because they ________ suck?"

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Marc Crawford.

When asked who Mathews was most alike too, said Forsberg. He should know after all he coached both players. We can live with a Forsberg.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Hilarious draft year ... we can't really mock the Berard pick .. cause we took Jeff Ware (at 15).
Wait, Ottawa had Iginla and Doan available to them ... so OK, mock away.

Berard was a sick player before his eye injury.
He put up 48pts in his rookie season and 46 the year after. Who knows what he would have become if he never had that injury?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad