TSN: Matthews-Dreger sit down interview

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
Just watched the second part of the interview. Man, this kid is a gem. His on-ice game speaks for itself, but he is so well spoken, mature, and likable. I can see where the Toews comparisons are coming from. Perfect fit for our franchise moving forward.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
Just watched the second part of the interview. Man, this kid is a gem. His on-ice game speaks for itself, but he is so well spoken, mature, and likable. I can see where the Toews comparisons are coming from. Perfect fit for our franchise moving forward.

anyone who likes playing on the xbox is cool with me. ;)

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Hope Matthews gets to keep #34. It's in honour of his parents, he should get to keep it.

well Nylander was given.... 39? i want to say

34 is in the acceptable "rookie" number pool so I don't see why he shouldn't have it.

listening to this kid talk. honestly. I am so freaking giddy this kid is ours.

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009

LOL seems pretty common among the Leaf Players without families of their own- Bozak, Gardiner, Reilly, Kessel when he was here, JVR, etc. Matthews will fit right in

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
well Nylander was given.... 39? i want to say

34 is in the acceptable "rookie" number pool so I don't see why he shouldn't have it.

Agreed. I think those days of having to worry about "rookie numbers" are over. Such a pointless rule that was implemented

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Agreed. I think those days of having to worry about "rookie numbers" are over. Such a pointless rule that was implemented

as I personally think worrying what player wears what number is silly :laugh: it really doesn't matter. I think it only should matter if it's for a significant reason (ie: my grandpa wore it and my dad wore it - significant).

Lou has his reasons for having his rules, so i'm good with them.

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
as I personally think worrying what player wears what number is silly :laugh: it really doesn't matter. I think it only should matter if it's for a significant reason (ie: my grandpa wore it and my dad wore it - significant).

Bingo

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta

The way I see it is either way just let the guy have his darn number. Either it doesn't matter in which case it isn't a big deal to let the player have it or it does matter, in which case they have a good reason to want their number. If it's not retired or particularly special to the Leafs then no reason to hold it back.

If I actually got up to the NHL level wearing my favorite number it'd just be unnecessarily annoying to wear a different one for no reason.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
Hope Matthews gets to keep #34. It's in honour of his parents, he should get to keep it.

I always wondered why he wears #34. Can you elaborate on how it's in honour of his parents?

I just figured, being an American, he was a fan of Shaq when he played on the Lakers. :laugh:

waingr0

May 14, 2010
"You won't have a lot of downtime this summer. It's going to be crazy. There's the draft and obviously you're going to get to… Toronto"

Is Dreger sure? Winter Soldier says Matthews isn't the consensus #1.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Went down in my eyes,I actually question anyones judgement who would choose Xbox One over PS4..................

And to be honest, I find it funny how he thinks it would be a surprise that an 18 year old kid would like gaming.
(Joking, not trying to turn this into a war like it does in certain places.)

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
"You won't have a lot of downtime this summer. It's going to be crazy. There's the draft and obviously you're going to get to… Toronto"

Is Dreger sure? Winter Soldier says Matthews isn't the consensus #1.

Gord Miller on radio said he hasn't met a single person who would gamble Laine over Matthews and said Matthews is head and shoulders better than Laine at this point even if you don't factor what positions they play.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
thank me later

rfKE5L9.jpg

:handclap::yo: Did you do that yourself ? Insane picture

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Went down in my eyes,I actually question anyones judgement who would choose Xbox One over PS4..................

And to be honest, I find it funny how he thinks it would be a surprise that an 18 year old kid would like gaming.
Yeah, I'll forgive him for having a poor judgment when it comes to consoles ;).

Certainly weird how anyone would be surprised at Matthews liking games. Plenty of guys on the active Leafs roster have consoles. No matter how dedicated to hockey, no shock that everyone has some purely fun activities.

GojuLeaf

May 3, 2010

Lol someone had to bring it up...
Matthews can be on the NHL 2018 XB1 cover and they can put karlson or subban on the ps4 version... :naughty:

Vintage93

Apr 2, 2006
Toronto
Yeah, I'll forgive him for having a poor judgment when it comes to consoles ;).

Certainly weird how anyone would be surprised at Matthews liking games. Plenty of guys on the active Leafs roster have consoles. No matter how dedicated to hockey, no shock that everyone has some purely fun activities.

I know, right! Who still plays on inferior consoles :) PCMR

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

Was about to write this ^^^

Kid is going to be a star and a leader for us.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
The way I see it is either way just let the guy have his darn number. Either it doesn't matter in which case it isn't a big deal to let the player have it or it does matter, in which case they have a good reason to want their number. If it's not retired or particularly special to the Leafs then no reason to hold it back.

If I actually got up to the NHL level wearing my favorite number it'd just be unnecessarily annoying to wear a different one for no reason.

:laugh: i know esp. because hockey players out of most athletes are so particular about things, including numbers.

like I said it will be interesting if the leafs actualy have a Leafs #34 jersey for him (like McDavid had a 97 one last year) or they'll have a generic "16" draft jersey.

as for the interview. i thought it was okay - i prefer how Lebrun/Duthie interviews.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
:laugh: i know esp. because hockey players out of most athletes are so particular about things, including numbers.

like I said it will be interesting if the leafs actualy have a Leafs #34 jersey for him (like McDavid had a 97 one last year) or they'll have a generic "16" draft jersey.

as for the interview. i thought it was okay - i prefer how Lebrun/Duthie interviews.
Just one of those things. Objectively a jersey number isn't a big thing...but there is a strong subjective element to them.

Will be interesting to see. Certainly they've got the time to prepare one ;).
Which is exactly what we've always needed. We really lucked out here.
That's for sure. I have no complaints with that kind of personality being brought onto the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad