TSN: Matthews-Dreger sit down interview

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
I don't blame him, he will receive the best possible development money can buy, and the opportunity to carve out a legacy in the greatest hockey franchise in the world.

Looking forward to seeing his career unfold as a Toronto Maple Leaf.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I don't blame him, he will receive the best possible development money can buy, and the opportunity to carve out a legacy in the greatest hockey franchise in the world.

Looking forward to seeing his career unfold as a Toronto Maple Leaf.
I think even as a prospect the current situation in Toronto would look pretty appealing. One of the best coaches in the NHL, a really good management group with Shanahan at the top and Lou as the GM, and a fair amount of talented prospects along there with him.

Probably a better time to have an interview with the guy anyways. When it's actually during the day where he is and able to interact with his interviewer without a delay :).

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
I think even as a prospect the current situation in Toronto would look pretty appealing. One of the best coaches in the NHL, a really good management group with Shanahan at the top and Lou as the GM, and a fair amount of talented prospects along there with him.

Probably a better time to have an interview with the guy anyways. When it's actually during the day where he is and able to interact with his interviewer without a delay :).

Absolutely

We could take this even further and talk about the city, possibility of a certain free agent signing.. At the end of the day I don't think many first overall picks have been drafted into better situations.

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
If Matthews (along with Marner, Nylander, Rielly) bring home a Stanley Cup he will be worshipped by leaf fans for years! :yo:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Absolutely

We could take this even further and talk about the city, possibility of a certain free agent signing.. At the end of the day I don't think many first overall picks have been drafted into better situations.
I'd try to guess at that, but since most of the first overall picks of the last decade have gone to Edmonton.....:laugh:

It is a pretty good situation though for a young prospect. A lot of pressure, but even then Lou has done a good job insulating the young players so that's not even a big issue. It's a pretty ideal position really for a guy going to a last place team :).

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
He's been interviewed and in the spot light at a very young age like other projected 1st overall players before him and it shows.

Has a calm presence in front of media. Doesn't go too crazy when scoring either. Very Crosby-like.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
I found it interesting to find out that he'd been to Toronto on several occasions, even if it was only for hockey-related events. I would have liked to hear what he had to say about the city itself. It seemed as though the interview clip was cut off prematurely. Wonder if there will be more of it shown?

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I found it interesting to find out that he'd been to Toronto on several occasions, even if it was only for hockey-related events. I would have liked to hear what he had to say about the city itself. It seemed as though the interview clip was cut off prematurely. Wonder if there will be more of it shown?

It's part 1 of the interview. Doesn't seem like the rest has been released yet.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
He's definitely a composed person.

Not just his interviews, but it's seen in his play too. Just goes about his business in a methodical and relaxed manner.

No "over the top" celebrations or unnecessary anger. He just comes in and does his job like a pro. You'd think he's been playing for 10 years.

It's nice to have a leader like that in the dressing room. It gives the others something to learn from and feed off of.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Pointed out playing for a world class coach in Babcock. Wonder if Vesey/Stamkos are thinking the same thing.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Yup because Vesey belongs in the same conversation as Stamkos and Mathews..

No but he is a top college player. Vesey is likely a third liner but has a shot at being top 6 and has size. I'd be excited that Vesey chose the Leafs even if he ends up busting because it proves people are noticing the change going on in Toronto.

Rielly Good

May 13, 2009
London, ON
I don't know how anyone could think it's even close to a good idea to puck Laine over Matthews! Kid is a pro. He is going to be very special.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I don't know how anyone could think it's even close to a good idea to puck Laine over Matthews! Kid is a pro. He is going to be very special.
I don't get it either. It's very possible that the first overall in 2017 ( or for a while) will not be able to rival him. I really think he belongs to the tier below Crosby/McDavid, the same realm Malkin falls under.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
It would be curious as to how they would be compared if they both played center... I think talent wise Matthews has the edge and when you factor in position he's the clear choice.

It would be basically a Toews vs. Stamkos situation... a more all around great player or a pure scorer offensive force.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
thank me later

rfKE5L9.jpg

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
It would be curious as to how they would be compared if they both played center... I think talent wise Matthews has the edge and when you factor in position he's the clear choice.

It would be basically a Toews vs. Stamkos situation... a more all around great player or a pure scorer offensive force.
Thing is, Mathews is extremely underrated as a playmaker and scorer. The fact that he can think at high levels while moving at high speeds tells us this. He's got elite hands, fantastic vision and power-oriented playmaking ability that Sundin possessed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad