Rumor: Matthews and Leafs discussing contract (mod post #605)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
I’m Dubas a have money I can use this year so I roll out what I have and trade deadline look for soon to be high end UFA Defenseman specifically top four shut down guy or guys.

The Leafs have a one year Ace card in that extra Cap space and should keep it till late February.

Nylander will take the next step to me and I’m a Bruins guy

He scored a hat trick against us two years ago and I sit row 2 right in back of goal Judge 1 & 3 periods and Nylander super skilled

I think some Leafs fans are selling him short because of a subpar playoff

I’m GM I’m keeping him this season and hopefully beyond

I let October- January play out and see if and what needs to be done
Super skilled player, i think he will improve yearly, the Leafs need a d-man though...

Jeff Petry for a 1st round + prospect?

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Based on what? All comparables point to these salaries almost exactly?
Forget comparables, NHL salaries have just spiked and will be even higher next season, no way Marner will take less than Draisaitl when the time comes, 7-7.5 for Marner long term is a funny joke but not realistic, and why even entertain a 7 year deal.. It will be 8 years, why would the player take 7? Makes zero sense.

Matthews, Marner, and Nylander will dictate how much money they make, they have ALL the power.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Super skilled player, i think he will improve yearly, the Leafs need a d-man though...

That’s the type of thinking Dubas should and will likely do but barring injury Toronto should coast to the playoffs so the season can be one of assessments

By the New Year Dermott may be at another level from a very good freshman season

The kids like Liljegren? Is he close ? Can he help now ?

The other Leafs D kids development- where are they

Is Johansson as good as some believe after a nice showing against Boston in the playoffs and a monster AHL Calder Cup run

Dubas has plenty of time but what he really needs is a good 40 NHL games to find out better what he has

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
That’s the type of thinking Dubas should and will likely do but barring injury Toronto should coast to the playoffs so the season can be one of assessments

By the New Year Dermott may be at another level from a very good freshman season

The kids like Liljegren? Is he close ? Can he help now ?

The other Leafs D kids development- where are they

Is Johansson as good as some believe after a nice showing against Boston in the playoffs and a monster AHL Calder Cup run

Dubas has plenty of time but what he really needs is a good 40 NHL games to find out better what he has
I think the Leafs need a veteran PMD right now to compete for a cup, i don't think any of their prospect defenders could take on a big PMD role right now, the Leafs need help on D.

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto

Petry would be a nice addition for the Leafs. And I could see a deal like that happening. They do need a solid right handed top 4 dman but they need to be patient...can’t have a Hall for Larsson situation going happening.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
A Petry/Braun/Demers/ Pysyk/Daley type move would make a lot of sense once the season gets rolling. Not all equal, but all could be good upgrades. The if/which determined by
does Zaitsev rebound
does Carrick take a step forward
does Ozighanov show up NHL ready, and at what level

HymanLover

Dec 16, 2017
Toronto, ON
Forget comparables, NHL salaries have just spiked and will be even higher next season, no way Marner will take less than Draisaitl when the time comes, 7-7.5 for Marner long term is a funny joke but not realistic, and why even entertain a 7 year deal.. It will be 8 years, why would the player take 7? Makes zero sense.

Matthews, Marner, and Nylander will dictate how much money they make, they have ALL the power.

Still salty about the Carey Price contract? Just because your GM is incompetent, doesn't mean others are the same.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Still salty about the Carey Price contract? Just because your GM is incompetent, doesn't mean others are the same.
My GM is the worst of all time, and why would i care about the Carey Price deal? My team is doomed and won't win anything in the next 10 years anyways. Price is the least of our worries.

You just jump in here accusing me of being salty without even reading all my posts, i said like 3 times already that i'm rooting for the Leafs in the playoffs. Sounds like someone needs to mature a little bit.

Reactions: HymanLover

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

???? What spike? Kucherov signed for 9.5. The biggest UFA in a decade signs for 11.

The comparables are there. It’s clear. You would sign Marner and Nylander for 7 so that you stagger them.

Things don’t work that way because you want them too.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
???? What spike? Kucherov signed for 9.5. The biggest UFA in a decade signs for 11.

The comparables are there. It’s clear. You would sign Marner and Nylander for 7 so that you stagger them.

Things don’t work that way because you want them too.
9.5 in tampa is like 13 in Toronto..
You can't compare with players signing in Tampa.

Tavares turned down 13 mil to come to Toronto and you don't think salaries have spiked lol. Salaries are going up every year, Marner would laugh at 7 mil.

It's crazy how so many of you are so off the mark with what's going on with NHL salaries, i will be here to tell you "i told you so" when the players sign the contracts.
And the contracts will be deserved and make sense for the players, they hold all the cards, what is so hard to understand about that?

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
This is why Leafs fans are hated.
Habs fans are just as bad even worse, clueless homers on both sides, embarrassing.

* Putting down and attacking players on another team to make yourself feel good is childish and if you're an adult it's pathetic.
Give credit where credit is due and be respectful, that is how adults should act.

Last edited:

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Habs fans are just as bad even worse, clueless homers on both sides, embarrassing.

* putting down and attacking players on another team to make yourself feel good is childish and if you're an adult it's pathetic.
I agree, but due to the current situations of both teams, Leafs fans have become unbearable. Habs fans piss me off all the time too though.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
Overrated but will be the highest paid player in the NHL. LOL. That's golden. Anhything that can be a negative to the Leafs is your conclusion.

You think that your god and savior Dubass won't pay up if he demands it? Good luck with that. Tavares karma incoming.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
You think that your god and savior Dubass won't pay up if he demands it? Good luck with that. Tavares karma incoming.

How’s your God and Savior treating you lately, lmao.

nchmKO8K_400x400.png

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
What karma? They signed a UFA and did nothing shady or against the rules.

Absolutely nothing shady done. But unless the defence gets addressed, karma may catch up like it has for every other Canadian team making runs the last 1-2 decades in Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal, etc. Mostly Vancouver early 10’s. You have to address the defence. Andersen gets praised with a GAA closer to 3 then 2, but that won’t win you four rounds in a playoff series.

Reactions: Cobra Commander
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad