TSN: Matthews admitted having covid-19 and now he is healthy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I wonder how many would have known about Matthews test had Simmons info not been reported here? I for one never would have known. That initial poster is just as much to blame as Simmons. Wonder who they are? Have they been called out?
People are constantly complaining about Simmons, Dreger, Cox, etc yet they are so quick to repeat their reports. Seems a little hypocritical to me.

it was clearly known. There was a tweet 2-3 days before about a “big name athlete in Arizona” who tested positive.

mckenzie Specifically went on the air and said that he wasn’t allowed to give any names and everyone knew that.

it’s pretty clear that people knew. Simmons was the only person who decided to do this.....

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I wonder how many would have known about Matthews test had Simmons info not been reported here? I for one never would have known. That initial poster is just as much to blame as Simmons. Wonder who they are? Have they been called out?
People are constantly complaining about Simmons, Dreger, Cox, etc yet they are so quick to repeat their reports. Seems a little hypocritical to me.

Fans clearly represent a strange grey area in this realm of athlete privacy where we consume the information as entertainment and topics of discussion and speculation but are also quick to shoot the messenger providing that entertainment on moral grounds. It's a complicated world.

Reactions: ACC1224 and kb

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
what's the difference from if he torn his ACL
A torn ACL is an injury obtained through NHL play, that impacts his ability to play. That is not the same thing as a global pandemic illness with stigmas associated with it, obtained during an offseason, that has nothing to do with the NHL or his ability to play. The NHL has stated that all identities are to remain hidden. The NHLPA has made it clear that they want identities to remain hidden. Everybody else respected that. One idiot with zero journalistic integrity didn't.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
On the leaf report podcast mirtle specifically said that he and everyone else knew about it. He had reached out to matthews camp and he was very clear that he didn’t want it known. So they made the decision not to publish

mirtle said that everyone knew. That the athletic. TSN and SPORTSNET all made the conscious decision not to report.

To act like Simmons had some big scoop is dumb.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Came across an interesting article re: the Simmons/Matthews incident that talked about the nature of sports reporting in an era where information and sports reporting is quite tightly controlled by the teams themselves. The Toronto Maple Leafs are owned by two media giants and it was interesting how they had the power to lower the cone of silence and basically scrub all references to the report, side with the no comment policy of the Leafs, remove all podcast references in their archives, etc.

Any individual player definitely deserves their privacy and Simmons clearly crossed that line. This is only sports after all, and Simmons hard hitting brand of investigative journalism is not necessary here. Yes, we consume every bit of information we can get on the internet, but Simmons is also not bringing some political scandal to light or reporting on anything useful to the community. And when that kind of reporting is impacting the quality of life of athletes in Toronto, then we also have some potential problems as fans too.

Interesting choice of words, I'm specifically referring to the word "necessary". Strictly speaking, sports reporting isn't necessary in any form, neither are pro sports. Simmons has been a sports reporter for about 40 years so clearly there is a market for his "brand".

A torn ACL is an injury obtained through NHL play, that impacts his ability to play. That is not the same thing as a global pandemic illness with stigmas associated with it, obtained during an offseason, that has nothing to do with the NHL or his ability to play. The NHL has stated that all identities are to remain hidden. The NHLPA has made it clear that they want identities to remain hidden. Everybody else respected that. One idiot with zero journalistic integrity didn't.

If a hockey player suffers an injury in the off season that has nothing to do with NHL play, it's still reported on so whether the injury was obtained through NHL play is irrelevant. And covid 19 affects each person differently and impact on his ability to play was a definite possibility. Long term lung damage is a possibility and even now, we don't know that this isn't an issue. To know for a fact that he hasn't suffered some potentially long term damage to lung capacity, you'd have to have access to his medical records but you don't have that do you?

If you're going to accuse anyone of not having journalistic integrity, it should be the editors as they decide what's fit to print and what isn't. The reporters submit their stories, and the editors decide to print it in full, change parts of it, leave parts out or not print it all. This has been pointed out to you several times now and it's not complicated, why is this so hard for you to understand?

If you're so concerned about this news being spread, stop whining about it here as you're only contributing to keeping this thread alive. Boycotting Sun Media is your only sensible course of action, are you prepared to do that?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
On the leaf report podcast mirtle specifically said that he and everyone else knew about it. He had reached out to matthews camp and he was very clear that he didn’t want it known. So they made the decision not to publish

mirtle said that everyone knew. That the athletic. TSN and SPORTSNET all made the conscious decision not to report.

To act like Simmons had some big scoop is dumb.

That's interesting. How the hell did it happen that "everyone knew" I wonder?

Reactions: rumman

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
If a hockey player suffers an injury in the off season that has nothing to do with NHL play, it's still reported on
Sometimes, because it is released by that person or a representative of them. Other injuries also do not have the same stigma surrounding them, which is why the NHL and NHLPA explicitly said that identities are not to be released, and why Matthews himself didn't want it released. Something everybody else has respected.
And covid 19 affects each person differently and impact on his ability to play was a definite possibility.
Then if that comes to pass and it affects his ability to play moving forward, that's a different discussion. We weren't at that point. Releasing the information was unnecessary and a breach of individual privacy.
If you're going to accuse anyone of not having journalistic integrity, it should be the editors as they decide what's fit to print and what isn't.
It's both. One for inappropriate digging into and release of a private citizen's health records, and one for allowing it to happen. Neither have journalistic integrity.
If you're so concerned about this news being spread, stop whining about it here as you're only contributing to keeping this thread alive.
The only one doing either of those things here is you. I'm speaking up against unethical actions, when people started inexplicably defending it.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
That's interesting. How the hell did it happen that "everyone knew" I wonder?

well there was obviously a breach of some level.
Again there were rumours and posts days before.

There are different levels of “knowing” too. I can “know” something, but it not be a the level of journalist publishing it.

You can get a rumour from people and believe it to be true. Ie. 3 players test positive for Covid. Now 3 players aren’t on the ice. And put 2 and 2 together.

but to publish it is an entirely different level of knowledge. Mirtle said that he reached out to matthews camp it is was made very clear that they didn’t want him to run with it. So he didn’t. So I guess he got confirmation that way?

And Matthews was pissed. So if I’m reading it right. Matthews camp actually confirmed it? On the condition that it wasn’t published.

then Simmons did it anyway because of course he did.

mirtle went on to say that he “knows” who many players are who have/had it and they don’t publish it. And all are on board. Except Simmons I guess

also. You do know that medical info what is released or not is collectively bargained right? Teams can only release what is agreed to by players.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
My responses in red.

Sometimes, because it is released by that person or a representative of them. Other injuries also do not have the same stigma surrounding them, which is why the NHL and NHLPA explicitly said that identities are not to be released, and why Matthews himself didn't want it released. Something everybody else has respected.

Sometimes, got it.

Then if that comes to pass and it affects his ability to play moving forward, that's a different discussion. We weren't at that point. Releasing the information was unnecessary and a breach of individual privacy.

You don't know that it's not affecting him right now.

It's both. One for inappropriate digging into and release of a private citizen's health records, and one for allowing it to happen. Neither have journalistic integrity.

The editor decides what gets printed, period. The editor might have told him to dig into this rumour for all we know, that's often the way it works.

The only one doing either of those things here is you. I'm speaking up against unethical actions, when people started inexplicably defending it.

I'm not the one complaining here.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
What data is everyone looking at that points to healthy folk having complications? Most of the evidence I see is pretty anecdotal.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
well there was obviously a breach of some level.
Again there were rumours and posts days before.

There are different levels of “knowing” too. I can “know” something, but it not be a the level of journalist publishing it.

You can get a rumour from people and believe it to be true. Ie. 3 players test positive for Covid. Now 3 players aren’t on the ice. And put 2 and 2 together.

but to publish it is an entirely different level of knowledge. Mirtle said that he reached out to matthews camp it is was made very clear that they didn’t want him to run with it. So he didn’t. So I guess he got confirmation that way?

And Matthews was pissed. So if I’m reading it right. Matthews camp actually confirmed it? On the condition that it wasn’t published.

then Simmons did it anyway because of course he did.

mirtle went on to say that he “knows” who many players are who have/had it and they don’t publish it. And all are on board. Except Simmons I guess

also. You do know that medical info what is released or not is collectively bargained right? Teams can only release what is agreed to by players.

If Simmons was given the information with the understanding that it was off the record and he wrote the story anyway then he's a huge dick without journalistic integrity. That's a pretty big if though and I'm not willing to make that assumption. I will give him the benefit of the doubt the same way I would do for anyone else and the guys been a sports writer for what, 40 years or so? I suspect he knows pretty well what he is and isn't allowed to do and like it or not, there is demand for what he does.

Reactions: rumman and ACC1224

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
My responses in red.
1. Yes, sometimes, in entirely different situations, when the player allows it.
2. He said it hasn't impacted him. We currently have no reason to believe otherwise. The release of that information was unnecessary and a breach of individual privacy.
3. People are responsible for the stories they write, the tactics they use to get information, and the ethical decisions they make. As I said, both deserve blame.
4. Yes, you are.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If Simmons was given the information with the understanding that it was off the record and he wrote the story anyway then he's a huge dick without journalistic integrity. That's a pretty big if though and I'm not willing to make that assumption. I will give him the benefit of the doubt the same way I would do for anyone else and the guys been a sports writer for what, 40 years or so? I suspect he knows pretty well what he is and isn't allowed to do and like it or not, there is demand for what he does.

the thing is. When it comes to medical records. The only way you could confirm it is to

a.) obtain a copy of the records
b.) speak to the doctor
C.) speak to the player/rep.

The rest is hearsay.

sure you can “know” things. But to actually be at the publishing level, with “journalistic integrity”
You need concrete proof.

A and B are violations of healthcare laws. (Might be complicated by international.... I don’t know)

C.) would be a violation of integrity.
Mirtle openly said that he was told that they don’t want it out. And that the athletic thr NHL. The PA and major outlets all decided not to do it.

ONE person did it.

There is huge difference between health records and a “trade rumor”. You need actual confirmation to report it properly. Even if he didn’t have any of those 3 options and “guessed right” it’s still wrong.

health care records are protected by law.

Ascribing journalistic integrity to Simmons. Who wrote a fake story about hot dogs based on a. Teenager is generous.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
If Simmons was given the information with the understanding that it was off the record and he wrote the story anyway then he's a huge dick without journalistic integrity. That's a pretty big if though and I'm not willing to make that assumption.
How do you suggest he came across this supposedly verified information legally and ethically, when nobody who is allowed to release the information gave it to him for the purposes of public release?
there is demand for what he does.
Public curiosity does not absolve somebody of responsibility for unethical actions.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
God I miss those days of journalism.
I'm interested in knowing what's going on in the world, I wish all news could just be reported without a left/right slant and let me as the viewer/reader decide what I think on any given topic.

Much like this news story, some are offended by AM's contracting Covid being reported, others not so much, we each can decide how we feel about it, but it's newsworthy imo.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
How do you suggest he came across this supposedly verified information legally and ethically, when nobody who is allowed to release the information gave it to him for the purposes of public release?

Public curiosity does not absolve somebody of responsibility for unethical actions.
how did all the other media personalities find out about it? It's been stated numerous times that "they all knew, but chose not to report it." The unethical behavior was committed by whoever betrayed AM's confidence, that's the real scumbag..........

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I'm interested in knowing what's going on in the world, I wish all news could just be reported without a left/right slant and let me as the viewer/reader decide what I think on any given topic.

Much like this news story, some are offended by AM's contracting Covid being reported, others not so much, we each can decide how we feel about it, but it's newsworthy imo.
Social media changed the game. Outlets discovered gaslighting people is the most profitable thing to do. The more you piss people off....the more engagement and ad revenue the piece gets. Even if it's all bullshit and they have to write a retraction, they still get their money.

Journalistic ethics is long gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oscar Peterson

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
1. Yes, sometimes, in entirely different situations, when the player allows it.
2. He said it hasn't impacted him. We currently have no reason to believe otherwise. The release of that information was unnecessary and a breach of individual privacy.
3. People are responsible for the stories they write, the tactics they use to get information, and the ethical decisions they make. As I said, both deserve blame.
4. Yes, you are.

You say both take blame, how do you know the editor didn't tell Simmons to dig up what he can and if so, how is Simmons to blame for doing his job? You say "both" but you not even once complain about the editors or owners who have the ultimate decision making power as to what to print, you clearly have an agenda here.

the thing is. When it comes to medical records. The only way you could confirm it is to

a.) obtain a copy of the records
b.) speak to the doctor
C.) speak to the player/rep.

The rest is hearsay.

sure you can “know” things. But to actually be at the publishing level, with “journalistic integrity”
You need concrete proof.

A and B are violations of healthcare laws. (Might be complicated by international.... I don’t know)

C.) would be a violation of integrity.
Mirtle openly said that he was told that they don’t want it out. And that the athletic thr NHL. The PA and major outlets all decided not to do it.

ONE person did it.

There is huge difference between health records and a “trade rumor”. You need actual confirmation to report it properly. Even if he didn’t have any of those 3 options and “guessed right” it’s still wrong.

health care records are protected by law.

Ascribing journalistic integrity to Simmons. Who wrote a fake story about hot dogs based on a. Teenager is generous.

Did he publish a rumour and state it as a fact? If he broke some law then Matthews has the option of suing him correct? And if this happened he can sue or not, up to him, what's the problem?

A lot of speculation going on here ...

I'm not suggesting anything. You're the one making assumptions here not me.

He's responsible for his actions, well duh. That goes for all of us, is this supposed to be news?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
how did all the other media personalities find out about it? It's been stated numerous times that "they all knew, but chose not to report it." The unethical behavior was committed by whoever betrayed AM's confidence, that's the real scumbag..........

I've asked this question as well, seems strange.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

my understanding from Mirtle and the tweets
Was again that.

1.) a tweet was made. It’s pretty easy to make the assumption.

A camp comes up, Matthews is skating then just stops. Right when Arizona blows up. He is just gone for 2 weeks.

2.) people suspected it

3.) people asked his camp. matthews camp said it was not something they wanted out.

Which I guess is confirmation.

The issue is the person who published. It. They have special permission and want extra access. That comes with responsibility

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Social media changed the game. Outlets discovered gaslighting people is the most profitable thing to do. The more you piss someone off....the more they engagement and ad revenue the piece gets. Even if it's all bullshit and they have to write a retraction, they still get their money.

Journalistic ethics is long gone.

You're completely right. The day Twitter and other social media platforms became prominent, it was a matter of who would break a story first than making certain a story was indeed factually correct before going with it. You see it all the time on Trade Deadline Day and pretty much any other time big news is broken, and how both those working for the same company and even the competitors at times will "credit" so and so for "breaking" the story first.

As for Simmons -- I still don't think what he did was wrong. It's just because I don't find a positive COVID test as being something that needs to be hidden. And this is where I think the NHL is treading an extremely fine line here -- by taking control of all injuries during the Return to Play, whenever we read a player is "unfit to play", the immediate thing thought of will be COVID. If anything, they're leaving this to breed a tonne more speculation than needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad