TSN: Matthews admitted having covid-19 and now he is healthy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Why is it when somebody comes through contracting COVID-19 with little effect that it has to be put on a pedestal pointing out that the media is lying and it’s some sort of political play?

COVID-19 is a seriously infectious virus. The science regarding it and it’s effects is still very much unknown because its so new. Some people seem to deal with this relatively well while others can be affected immensely or it can even be fatal. We all need to take this serious not just for ourselves but others. As a child with two elderly parents, one a cancer survivor and the other with respiratory issues as a smoker I take my interactions with others with as many precautionary PPE. Hopefully it won’t come into my family but I do my best to prevent the spread.

I am glad to hear he feels healthy and in his opinion it has not affected his general health. Now turn on that beast mode and get us to the promise land!

Schooner

Sep 19, 2017
I get people hate this guy but he is a reporter and like it or not, Matthews testing positive is news. Perhaps you can explain why you don't think he should have reported this because it seems to me that he was just doing his job.

The difference is reporting hockey news versus reporting a person's private medical information. Unless this info came from Matthews directly or at the very least his agent, it is unethical at best.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The difference is reporting hockey news versus reporting a person's private medical information. Unless this info came from Matthews directly or at the very least his agent, it is unethical at best.

These players live under a microscope and "private" stuff gets reported about them all the time. That's not news, Matthews testing positive on the other hand absolutely is news, it's news that Leaf fans are very interested in and is a lot more relevant than a ton of other stuff that gets reported about hockey players.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
These players live under a microscope and "private" stuff gets reported about them all the time. That's not news, Matthews testing positive on the other hand absolutely is news, it's news that Leaf fans are very interested in and is a lot more relevant than a ton of other stuff that gets reported about hockey players.
the only player to be named...., Simmons is a joke, everyone other player who has tested positive not one name released, like I mean he has a right to report the news, but why be a dick and release it, sure makes free agents want to come here..

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
the only player to be named...., Simmons is a joke, everyone other player who has tested positive not one name released, like I mean he has a right to report the news, but why be a dick and release it, sure makes free agents want to come here..

I'd guess that the other names weren't reported because no reporters found out who they were but who knows and who cares?

Not only does he has a right to report the news, it's his job. And you know what's not his job? Worrying about what free agents want or don't want to do.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This should put to bed some of the dumb statements from before. I still can't believe there was Leafs fans who defended Simmons for that bullshit.

Sounds fishy to me. Lots of pro athletes who tested positive have had their names reported, why would the names of NBA/MLB players be reported and not NHL players. Are NHL players some sort of untouchable sacred cows?

Reactions: rumman

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
A few thoughts:

I really don't see what the big deal is. He got the virus, so what? It doesn't say anything bad about him as a person so what's the point of secrecy? There's no reason for any stigma to be attached to testing positive but this kind of secrecy helps create that kind of stigma which is unfortunate.

On the other hand, because there is a possible long term negative impact on his health which could reduce his value as a player is something that is obviously of great interest to Leaf fans. So I would say that this news is actually relevant to what happens on the ice, unlike a ton of other nonsense that gets reported.

If Simmonds is a dick for reporting this then every reporter who has ever reported on any part of any players private life is also a dick and that means they're pretty much all dicks. Maybe they are but that's another story, as far as I know, Simmonds hasn't been reprimanded, as far as I know he hasn't even been criticized by people in the business for what he did so I'm not sure he did anything wrong and I don't see why I should have a problem with him doing his job. Maybe I'm missing something here, certainly possible and I'm all ears if someone can tell me what it is but as of right now, I don't see it.

If Matthews wanted this to stay private, I do have some sympathy for him. On the other hand, he's in the public eye, he's making a ton of money and a loss of privacy to some degree comes with the territory, like it or not that's just the way it is. He's a big boy, I'm sure he knew what he signed on for so he's just got to deal with it.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Sounds fishy to me. Lots of pro athletes who tested positive have had their names reported, why would the names of NBA/MLB players be reported and not NHL players. Are NHL players some sort of untouchable sacred cows?
Some also have called and made statements by themselves, like matthews might have been one of those big examples showing example to the whole wide world. Mayne they tough some of these young goons. Clubbin and dirt, still non covidin', what! Some human beings have made instagram statements and showed the whole world instantly they have covid-19. Some have called newspapers and reporters etc. Like Mike Tyson said, he wants to be in the spot light all the time and is addicted to it. Its' an interesthang thang.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Dubas said on Tim and Sid that he didn't feel Auston's positive test should have been made public.

Incoming hate Dubas article by Simmons.

Reactions: kb

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Dubas said on Tim and Sid that he didn't feel Auston's positive test should have been made public.

Oh that's interesthang sire. Lets see what develops out of this one, sire. It could be wrong though, matthews could have still made it clear by himself. Wanting and being an individual and making a sentence. being a human being, hockey players nowadays rarely do it. It's a shame. Robotic. Non interesting. Always with the safe lines. Y'all already know. It's over.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
I'd guess that the other names weren't reported because no reporters found out who they were but who knows and who cares?

Not only does he has a right to report the news, it's his job. And you know what's not his job? Worrying about what free agents want or don't want to do.
yea other reporters probably knew about other players who tested positive but they had enough dignity not to report it, simmons is a complete classless hack many examples of that through the years, hopefully karma catches up with him

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Sports journalists are sort of a circle among themselves. They likely agreed among themselves that they're not going to name-drop any players who have Covid.

Simmons on the other hand is a complete twat and has no regard whatsoever for integrity.

Reactions: kb

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
yea other reporters probably knew about other players who tested positive but they had enough dignity not to report it, simmons is a complete classless hack many examples of that through the years, hopefully karma catches up with him

Sports journalists are sort of a circle among themselves. They likely agreed among themselves that they're not going to name-drop any players who have Covid.

Simmons on the other hand is a complete twat and has no regard whatsoever for integrity.

You're labeling Simmons a classless hack and a complete twat based on nothing more than speculation. Nice. What do you think that says about you?

You might want to consider this (link to full article below):

Simmons, who’s been a longtime contributor on TSN, poked around for some answers and got some conflicting messages. One suggested Matthews’s positive test was a personal health matter, which made it out of bounds. But both TSN and Sportsnet reported on the positive COVID tests of, among others, Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott and Utah Jazz guard Donovan Mitchell.
Why is Matthews different?
Can’t tell you.

Ed Willes: The story behind the story about Auston Matthews’ positive test is bewildering

Last edited:
Reactions: rumman

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
But both TSN and Sportsnet reported on the positive COVID tests of, among others, Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott and Utah Jazz guard Donovan Mitchell.

Because it was already reported, public information.

If Simmons releasing the info about Matthews was completely normal, then why was Matthews the only NHL player to have this information about them be released? Why does every other player get to keep their privacy on the issue, and why does every other reporter except Simmons, respect that?

I ask the same question:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Because it was already reported, public information.

Reported by who? Are you pissed at them as well? Or just Simmons?

If Simmons releasing the info about Matthews was completely normal, then why was Matthews the only NHL player to have this information about them be released? Why does every other player get to keep their privacy on the issue, and why does every other reporter except Simmons, respect that?

I ask the same question:

Maybe Matthews was the only one because Simmons was the only reporter who had any information to report? Now if we knew for a fact that there were other players who tested positive AND that other reporters had that information AND they decided to keep that information secret, then we might have something to discuss. Do we have this information?

People also seem to have forgotten that Simmons doesn't get to decide what gets printed and what doesn't, he writes the stories and the editors decide. Since they saw this news as fit to print, that means by default that Simmons was only doing his job by submitting this information, end of story.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Saying "their private information is leaked constantly" isn't an excuse to constantly leak they private information. This isn't a situation players should have to deal with on a regular basis, but in Toronto it is unfortunately.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Saying "their private information is leaked constantly" isn't an excuse to constantly leak they private information. This isn't a situation players should have to deal with on a regular basis, but in Toronto it is unfortunately.

If that's the case then as I said earlier, there's no reason to single out one reporter for criticism.

In an ideal world, the paparazzi wouldn't exist either but they do and the reason for that is that people want to buy their work product. Like it hate it, our society is what it is and Simmons is one very tiny piece of it, nothing more. And so are the editors that had no issue with printing his work product, so are the people that consume that work product and so on.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I get people hate this guy but he is a reporter and like it or not, Matthews testing positive is news. Perhaps you can explain why you don't think he should have reported this because it seems to me that he was just doing his job.
information's power.
this would be a non issue if it wasn't TML darling Austin Mathews.

Reactions: Gary Nylund
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad