TSN: Matthews admitted having covid-19 and now he is healthy

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
If that's the case then as I said earlier, there's no reason to single out one reporter for criticism.

In an ideal world, the paparazzi wouldn't exist either but they do and the reason for that is that people want to buy their work product. Like it hate it, our society is what it is and Simmons is one very tiny piece of it, nothing more. And so are the editors that had no issue with printing his work product, so are the people that consume that work product and so on.
If you don't start singling out reporters, they won't stop. Put their reputation on the line. Otherwise they have no incentive to treat players like human beings, and this cycle continues. If they want to keep that up they can work for TMZ or some other gossip source.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If you don't start singling out reporters, they won't stop. Put their reputation on the line. Otherwise they have no incentive to treat players like human beings, and this cycle continues. If they want to keep that up they can work for TMZ or some other gossip source.

As I said earlier, reporters aren't the issue here so "singling them out" is completely pointless.

Reporters only give their editors what they know the editors want, editors only print the stories they know their bosses want them to print and so on. In the end, the people you have an issue with here are the owners of Sun Media. But it doesn't stop there either as other media outlets including the Star and The Globe picked up the story as well so your only course of action here is to boycott pretty much every news outlet there is, are you prepared to do that?

It's easy to sit here and call Steve Simmons a twat and whatever else but as long as you're consuming what these organizations are putting out there, aren't you part of the cycle and arguably, part of the problem?

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I wonder how many would have known about Matthews test had Simmons info not been reported here? I for one never would have known. That initial poster is just as much to blame as Simmons. Wonder who they are? Have they been called out?
People are constantly complaining about Simmons, Dreger, Cox, etc yet they are so quick to repeat their reports. Seems a little hypocritical to me.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I wonder how many would have known about Matthews test had Simmons info not been reported here? I for one never would have known. That initial poster is just as much to blame as Simmons.
People are constantly complaining about Simmons, Dreger, Cox, etc yet they are so quick to repeat their reports. Seems a little hypocritical to me.

This seems like a valid point. I watch CP24 so I would have found about it anyway because it is Matthews after all but I did hear it here first.

Reactions: rumman and ACC1224

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I will never agree with a person's private medical info being released without their consent by a non-official channel. They did not give up this 'right' when they became NHL players..

But if people feel this is fine, then my suggestion is to just put everyone's entire medical histories online, and make it searchable by anyone.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I will never agree with a person's private medical info being released without their consent by a non-official channel. They did not give up this 'right' when they became NHL players..

But if people feel this is fine, then my suggestion is to just put everyone's entire medical histories online, and make it searchable by anyone.

I agree. The only point I'm making is that this isn't a Simmons thing, it's a media thing. The Toronto sports media is notorious for being "paparazzi like" of course but most media outlets are also guilty of crossing ethical boundaries in order to sell papers, generate clicks or whatever else. I've never felt comfortable watching a reporter stick a microphone in the face of a grieving widow (just one example) but unfortunately, that's just the way things are.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I agree. The only point I'm making is that this isn't a Simmons thing, it's a media thing. The Toronto sports media is notorious for being "paparazzi like" of course but most media outlets are also guilty of crossing ethical boundaries in order to sell papers, generate clicks or whatever else. I've never felt comfortable watching a reporter stick a microphone in the face of a grieving widow (just one example) but unfortunately, that's just the way things are.

Reactions: Gary Nylund and kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I hear you - it is unfortunate that journalistic integrity is mostly a quaint relic from some bygone era.

Simmons hates the Leafs even more than he loves creating controversy, so he's living the dream here. Much to the Leafs detriment at times.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I hear you - it is unfortunate that journalistic integrity is mostly a quaint relic from some bygone era.

Very well put.

Simmons hates the Leafs even more than he loves creating controversy, so he's living the dream here. Much to the Leafs detriment at times.

I used to read 3-4 newspapers cover to cover every day but that goes back about 20 years or so, don't read them at all anymore so I remember Simmons as a something of a controversial figure but I didn't know he hated the Leafs. That certainly helps explains why some people hate him though, what goes around comes around I guess. ;)

Reactions: rumman and kb

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
My stance is simple. If Matthews or any other player didn't give consent to release their medical info which he didn't, it should be private.
However Simmons has shown he is a disgusting character who doesn't care about people's feelings in the name for clicks.

Totally understandable for people to feel that way. I still think your hatred should be mostly directed to those above Simmons, after all he's not some blogger and he's only giving the people who sign his paychecks what they want.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
I get people hate this guy but he is a reporter and like it or not, Matthews testing positive is news. Perhaps you can explain why you don't think he should have reported this because it seems to me that he was just doing his job.
Mostly because they pick and choose what makes news these days... So if everyone else got to stay anonymous, as far as death counts go if you had it and died in a car crash after getting tested you count towards the covid death total. It's real its out there you personally don't have to respect it but do it in your own personal space and time. It sucks but it is what it is though. You want normal life again sooner then later play the game. If you don't want to play the game you can't bitch about it just like if you don't vote.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
My stance is simple. If Matthews or any other player didn't give consent to release their medical info which he didn't, it should be private.
However Simmons has shown he is a disgusting character who doesn't care about people's feelings in the name for clicks.
If the leafs feel they have grounds to sue him I'm sure they will. If you want him gone jump on everyone you know that reads his shit! Honestly anyone with blogs these days can make a news article. Newspapers know their days are numbered and they are making there last stand.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I get people hate this guy but he is a reporter and like it or not, Matthews testing positive is news. Perhaps you can explain why you don't think he should have reported this because it seems to me that he was just doing his job.
He didn’t get approval from Matthews or the Leafs. Not illegal, but certainly unprofessional, imo.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He didn’t get approval from Matthews or the Leafs. Not illegal, but certainly unprofessional, imo.

Reporters don't need approval from the subjects of their reporting so I don't see that there's anything unprofessional here at all. Question the ethics if you like but again, that's something you should take up with Sun Media because the story was printed, therefore the editors clearly did approve.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
just what we need LESS freedom of the press, doesn't anyone care about keeping what little freedom we have left????????????????

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Many of the players from other sports that people point to had that information released by the individual or their agent. Matthews did not release his information, his agent didn't release his information, and the NHL made it clear that identities were not to be released. It was a dirt-bag move by somebody who often does this type of stuff.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I say ban him or any employee from the sun. Zero media availability for them.

Reactions: kb

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
nothing illegal happened, reporter reported news, Leaf Nation goes nuts, that is all................
that doesn't answer my question, but ok. If people aren't allowed to dislike Simmons because he didn't break the law, why are you complaining about how Leafs fans are reacting? That isn't illegal either

Reactions: kb

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
that doesn't answer my question, but ok. If people aren't allowed to dislike Simmons because he didn't break the law, why are you complaining about how Leafs fans are reacting? That isn't illegal either
I got no problem with people hating Simmons, he's not everyone's cup of tea, but all he did was report news, it's irrelevant WHO reported it imo, reporters are suppose to report news, if you and others think it was unethical, well that's okay too, see in a free society we each get to express our opinion, but nothing illegal happened so no need to burn Simmons at the stake imo. Just stop reading the Sun or watching TSN, as a consumer that's your power, but I doubt the offended crowd here would go that far to make their point.......

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
to protect freedom of speech, it's as simple as that................
Freedom of speech means you can say what you want without worrying about consequences from the government. It does not mean you can disclose private information against a person's will and the general public is banned from frowning upon that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad