Line Combos: Matthews “prefers” not to play with Kapanen

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Why did Dubas sign Kapanen? Isn't he a top 6 forward? So Matthews believes he's not? Why didn't Dubas do his homework?

A guy can be a top six forward and not have chemistry with another player.

Kessel is one of.the best offensive wingers in the NHL but lacked 5v5 chemistry with Crosby because both guys thrive when they control the puck during a shift.

What about Kapanens play with Matthew's makes you think he should be glued to his hip? I'm a huge Kapanen fan, but they lacked any real chemistry as a tandem over that last 1/2 of last season

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Honestly, the worst part is that Matthews/Nylander were playing pretty well together to start that Boston series and then were split apart for seemingly little to no reason.
People really should go back and watch it again.

Well, Kadri being an idiot was the reason...

But even Babcock realized that he needed to reunite Matthews and Nykander for the playoffs. It's a pity they weren't allowed more of an opportunity.

Folks claiming Matthew's is a diva should probably point out a more reasonable argument why he absolutely needs to play with Kapanen for team success. Because after Kalanens sh% came back down to earth that one began to stink. And statistically Kapanen isnt a playmaker. Meaning Nykander either replaces him as the 2nd best guy on the unit or one of Kapanen/Nylander shifts to the Left side

Reactions: Sypher04

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Isn't Crosby difficult to play with? Pittsburgh has always had to find the right fit for him because not all players can adjust to the fact that they are there to support the star on the line. This isn't some unheard of concept.
Considering the endless number of No-Name players he has played with, I find that hard to believe.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Here you go. Nylander is on the ice for 3 of them. Not sure what happened with the lines when Brown was on for a goal. Matthews must have been at the end of his shift.

It was Hyman-Matthews-Nylander for Nylander's goal as well.

Gotcha, i am wrong then. Comments coming from a place of frustration with the young players. Demanding large contracts with little to no team success in the playoffs. Never a good sign when (for lack of a better term) "the inmates start running the asylum".

Reactions: Havoc

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I must be mistaken but wasnt he paired with Brown and Hyman ? or did that change during the post season

You are correct. Matthews and Nylander started the series together then got split up for no apparent reason to both of their detriment

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Bro bring on some corroborating links man
Did you hear what I said? And look in this tread for links or google it yourself. I think it would be naive to just say its all made up but you are free to not believe it, I dont really care enough if you don't its up to you

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
He usually goes straight to AZ when the season is over. Pretty sure he's skated with Keller recently at Oceanside, a rink in AZ. Keller and Fish are good friends of his.

Don't really think it means much az though.

Sorry I find this disturbing.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
Did you hear what I said? And look in this tread for links or google it yourself. I think it would be naive to just say its all made up but you are free to not believe it, I dont really care enough if you don't its up to you
I've seen all the reports non indicates anything about him not wanting to play with willy or kappy. It does have one stating he would like to get ice time with mitch though with a video of him saying it would be awesome if it were to happen.

Nothing that substantiate what you wrote and claim. It's not nieve, it's reporter seeing what we all see and putting it out there in their articles as something they heard even when they have no credibility left. Then we got bunch of suckers like you eating it up.

Ffs use ur brain man and so some critical thinking but instead ya gonna keep eating em up like fishes eat shit and you wonder why dudes like them are still making headlines, simple minded people like you will swallow it whole with no thought and look for more.

Last edited by a moderator:

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Simmons is a noted hack.
I wouldn’t blame AM for saying something in private, if he said anything at all.

Babcock has a really big year in front of him.
I'm not sure Simmons is a noted hack, but I agree that Mathews wouldn't likely tell a reporter that if he knew it would become public knowledge.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
I'm not sure Simmons is a noted hack, but I agree that Mathews wouldn't likely tell a reporter that if he knew it would become public knowledge.
Really you don't think Simmons is one of the worst reporters there is. His source was his 10 year old sons friend for f*** sake for the Kessel scandal. If that's not a hack then I Dont know what is. Dude blatantly writes lies and hearsay and Ponds it off as unnamed source. Dude gets caught, he wiggles himself out of it by doing whT hf poster does. Ignores it or move the goal post to explain his reason.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Really you don't think Simmons is one of the worst reporters there is. His source was his 10 year old sons friend for **** sake for the Kessel scandal. If that's not a hack then I Dont know what is. Dude blatantly writes lies and hearsay and Ponds it off as unnamed source. Dude gets caught, he wiggles himself out of it by doing whT hf poster does. Ignores it or move the goal post to explain his reason.
I don't remember what Simmons said about the salute gate Kessel story. I just remember it being a slow news day and many reporters including Simmons reported it and the fans fell for it hook, line and sinker.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
You guys don't actually think Simmons is saying Matthews told him personally do you? lol it obviously was leaked out from someone in Leafs management

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
I've seen all the reports non indicates anything about him not wanting to play with willy or kappy. It does have one stating he would like to get ice time with mitch though with a video of him saying it would be awesome if it were to happen.

Nothing that substantiate what you wrote and claim. It's not nieve, it's reporter seeing what we all see and putting it out there in their articles as something they heard even when they have no credibility left. Then we got bunch of suckers like you eating it up.

Ffs use ur brain man and so some critical thinking but instead ya gonna keep eating em up like fishes eat **** and you wonder why dudes like them are still making headlines, simple minded people like you will swallow it whole with no thought and look for more.
So why is this a thread then... Also grow up, I don't care to have a conversation with you if you are gonna get all emotional have a temper tantrum. If you want to live in your fairy tale world where Babcock flew to Mathew's place for poops and giggles go ahead... If thats where your "critical thinking" took you then Im happy for you, you do you

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
So why is this a thread then... Also grow up, I don't care to have a conversation with you if you are gonna get all emotional have a temper tantrum. If you want to live in your fairy tale world where Babcock flew to Mathew's place for poops and giggles go ahead... If thats where your "critical thinking" took you then Im happy for you, you do you
I don't read them peoples garbage, the babcock thing I don't mind. Your best player wants playing time, even if I don't believe it's anything to write home about. Again we can decipher the situation but no one knows. All poop like you say but in saying that I want my stars to voice their concerns that's fine by me. It's believing guys that have history of poop reporting that I'm against and we hVe people here eating it up like hot cakes. If Bob or anyone with a good rep states matter if factly I would be more open to it but not some of these hitmen out there. It's not a fairy tale it's pretty basic for me, just don't consume everyhting ya hear and believe it. I but your right let's end it here we have completely different ways of looking at things, dont need the negativety

Feb 24, 2017
Mathews last season in which many considered mediocre for him would of had a 45g/88p Statline for 82gp and that was with no Tavares level linemates all season. Compare that to Marner 26g/94p, who many believed had a great season and you can see the difference. Goals scoring gets you paid, Marner is not comparable to AM.

Also with those two Statline, which one would you want to have each season. Sorry but I'll take the 6 less points and have that extra 19 goals all day everyday. That is why Marner should come in less then Am ignoring the fact one is a big C, can match up against other teams best and has the potential to be an elite 2way 50g/100p top 5 player in the NHL. Ya damn right MM should know his place in the salary structure.
I like the guy who produces without the “would have” caveat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad