Line Combos: Matthews “prefers” not to play with Kapanen

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
The math still doesnt work.

2.25M - $1,236,134 = 1,013,866

Sending down a 700K player does not work. Plus you still have Dermott coming off LTIR at $863,333.

Hyman and Dermott combine to just over 3M. you would have to send down 5 700K players to make this work. Or trade a Johnsson or Kapanen.

You have to remember that when you're getting Hyman and Dermott back, you're going to have to send two salaries down too (Lets say 1.5M combined). Then on a 22 man roster, you send down another 700K. You'd have 2.2M sent down.

My roster had ~1.25M in cap space. Add 2.2M in salary getting sent down, that clears yo 3.45M in cap space.

Hyman and Dermott's cap space = ~3.1M

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
The LW is not good enough, and we still have problems in net. Easy solution is to not worry about upgrading the #6 spot (at least not before the TDL) when we have a bunch of talented options internally and not to pay Marner 11 mill when he's not worth 11 mill.

Then get a proper Hutch upgrade while finding new homes for Kaskisuo and Sparks. That's enough for one offseason.

I don't think our LW is as big an issue as you do. I think between Hyman, Petan, Mikheyev, Moore, Kerfoot (if needed), we're okay.

100 point wingers will be worth 11M :nod:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Sending down a 700K player does not work. Plus you still have Dermott coming off LTIR at $863,333.

Hyman and Dermott combine to just over 3M. you would have to send down 5 700K players to make this work. Or trade a Johnsson or Kapanen.

If you swap Dermott in and send Kivihalme down in his place, you are at about 1.1 mill that you need to bridge after Hyman comes back. However, we'd have 24 guys (14 forwards, 8 defensemen) so you would need to send one down anyways. Let's say Agostino, which means you are 400k over with a 23 man roster. Send Borgman down too and you are cap compliant with a 22 man roster.

Still, I don't think the premise works overall TBH.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I don't think our LW is as big an issue as you do. I think between Hyman, Petan, Mikheyev, Moore, Kerfoot (if needed), we're okay.

100 point wingers will be worth 11M :nod:

Maybe on an 8 year deal, but Marner's not doing that so Marner is not worth 11 mill.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

ahh no idea what all the damn fuss is about

3.76m in cap + 5.3m ltir = 9.06m and a 23 man roster

drop 3 guys in the 700k range and that puts us at 11.2 ish cap and a 20 man roster

there ya go , 11.2 to ink marner and that sets us at a 21 man roster. 20 dress ,1 in the press box.

see ,,,,,,,,,,no problems at all.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
I don't read them peoples garbage, the babcock thing I don't mind. Your best player wants playing time, even if I don't believe it's anything to write home about. Again we can decipher the situation but no one knows. All poop like you say but in saying that I want my stars to voice their concerns that's fine by me. It's believing guys that have history of poop reporting that I'm against and we hVe people here eating it up like hot cakes. If Bob or anyone with a good rep states matter if factly I would be more open to it but not some of these hitmen out there. It's not a fairy tale it's pretty basic for me, just don't consume everyhting ya hear and believe it. I but your right let's end it here we have completely different ways of looking at things, dont need the negativety
Ok, sounds reasonable

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Some unnamed person telling Simmons that Matthews would rather not play with Kapanen isn't quite the same as "Matthews telling Babcock what to do".
Context is missing here. I would bet you 10,000 that Matty or his family never told Babs he had to do anything with respect to lines. This is a complete fabrication. and the story line has been going along far too long. This is 100% all about Babs creating his own lines. Over time the truth will come out.

Reactions: mallory67

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Context is missing here. I would bet you 10,000 that Matty or his family never told Babs he had to do anything with respect to lines. This is a complete fabrication. and the story line has been going along far too long. This is 100% all about Babs creating his own lines. Over time the truth will come out.
I think you're agreeing with me, but I'm not sure.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I'm not sure Mathews said that but let's face it, he wants Nylander. Kapanen for me is a 3rd line 20 goal guy with speed/pk abilities. Hopefully Kapanen can find his game with Kerfoot or Spezza. He still hasn't shown me top 6 consistency. Some big winger + Mathews + Nylander is our elite line now as Marner may not be back.

What about Marner for Laine ? Thoughts...

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Man, I hope he manages to stay healthy this season. If he does and he gets Nylander back on his line, I think we're in for a really great season.

His first 10 games last year were amazing, the next 14 games being lost to injury really derailed his season from what could have been.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I'm not sure Mathews said that but let's face it, he wants Nylander. Kapanen for me is a 3rd line 20 goal guy with speed/pk abilities. Hopefully Kapanen can find his game with Kerfoot or Spezza. He still hasn't shown me top 6 consistency. Some big winger + Mathews + Nylander is our elite line now as Marner may not be back.

We have 2 elite goal scoring centers. Laine wouldn't be an element that'd fit too well imo. I'd love Tkachuk personally. Adds something different

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

I dunno I still want to see what a Nylander-Matthews-Kapanen line can do.

Kapanen hunting pucks and pressuring D in the neutral zone with his crazy speed could open up a ton of space for Willy and Matthews to work with.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Maybe Matthews agent told Simmons this.

I can 100% understand Matthews saying this, so its 100% believable. This thread doesnt seem to understand Kapanen has a very average hockey sense.
-rarely makes a high end play that fooled the opposition
-doesnt not understand when to give Matthews the puck
-is not deceptive in any way
-routinely gets outsmarted on 2-1 chances when the Dmen gives him the shot and Kapanen can not adjust on the fly, he already made up his mind to pass and forces it.

He is a very good 3rd liner, imo on a good team.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

I doubt Jets would be willing to pay Marner his ask and blow their salary structure out of the water ? If they had the money for Marner why not simply use it to sign Laine ??

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
0% chance he said this.
It's a team game and last thing Matthews needs to do is alienate the room.
Just the level of hurt it might cause KK would prevent any decent player from saying something like this.

Matthews has pride and he knows he is expected to drive a line. For $11M he MUST drive a line and he knows it.
He will play with Marleau, KK, the Zamboni driver ... anyone.

Reactions: 63 others

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
I dunno I still want to see what a Nylander-Matthews-Kapanen line can do.

Kapanen hunting pucks and pressuring D in the neutral zone with his crazy speed could open up a ton of space for Willy and Matthews to work with.
Kapanen was amazing on Nylanders wing. I recently re-watched (peak summertime boredom?) some of their first games as Leafs and they had GREAT chemistry. The Nylander Matthews Kapanen line should work
Babcock needs to try this.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Kapanen was amazing on Nylanders wing. I recently re-watched (peak summertime boredom?) some of their first games as Leafs and they had GREAT chemistry. The Nylander Matthews Kapanen line should work
Babcock needs to try this.

Kapanen and Nylander worked together because one is a shooter and one is playmaker, but Matthews is the triggerman on any line he's on. Kapanen did a poor job of adjusting his play to this fact last season. I don't think that a line of Nylander - Matthews - Kapanen can't work, but Kapanen would need to understand that his role on this unit is to disrupt with speed, get in heavy on the forecheck, and get Matthews/Nylander the puck. That's not to say he shouldn't take shots too, he needs to continue shooting to be regarded as a threat and warrant any attention from defenders, but he cannot be looking off Matthews or getting tunnel vision anywhere near as often as he did last year.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

13ones

Apr 17, 2015
Interview

Simmonds: If you could pick any right winger on the team to play with, who would it be?

Matthews: We are so stacked on the right side, and I am so lucky to have the opportunity to play with any of them, but if I had to choose, it would be Mitch. He is so incredibly talented. He is so smart out there. He sees the ice so well. And he's my best friend. So yeah, I would pick Mitch.

Simmonds: -writing his notes- Matthews doesn't want to play with Kappy.

:sarcasm:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
We have 2 elite goal scoring centers. Laine wouldn't be an element that'd fit too well imo. I'd love Tkachuk personally. Adds something different

Maybe that is an element that could be explored, we trade our RFA for a cheaper but still very good RFA from a another team.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Interview

Simmonds: If you could pick any right winger on the team to play with, who would it be?

Matthews: We are so stacked on the right side, and I am so lucky to have the opportunity to play with any of them, but if I had to choose, it would be Mitch. He is so incredibly talented. He is so smart out there. He sees the ice so well. And he's my best friend. So yeah, I would pick Mitch.

Simmonds: -writing his notes- Matthews doesn't want to play with Kappy.

:sarcasm:

Media Training 101

Simmons: If you could pick any right winger on the team to play with, who would it be?

Matthews: We are so stacked on the right side, and I am so lucky to have the opportunity to play with any of them. but if I had to choose, it would be Mitch. He is so incredibly talented. He is so smart out there. He sees the ice so well. And he's my best friend. So yeah, I would pick Mitch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad