Line Combos: Matthews “prefers” not to play with Kapanen

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
According to Simmons. Matthews request for next season is to not play with Kapanen.

He says the likely linemates will be Nylander and Mikheyev, with Kerfoot centering Johnsson and Kappy, which would have Moore with Tavares and (?)

Reactions: WizardOfNaz

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Yup just saw that. Simmonds also mentioned Babcock is on the hot seat, and hiring the 2 assistant coaches may not have been his choice, but thats pretty obvious.
As someone mentioned in regards to Matthews, there were a few times Kapanen would make a low% play, and Matthews looking frustrated afterwards.

Nylander with Matthews is the easy choice.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
According to Simmons. Matthews request for next season is to not play with Kapanen.

He says the likely linemates will be Nylander and Mikheyev, with Kerfoot centering Johnsson and Kappy, which would have Moore with Tavares and (?)

Bloody hell, I love Matthews but telling the coaches who you do and do not want to play with is not good, especially if it gets leaked to the media

I'm over every bit of dirty laundry or information being aired in the media, don't these guys realize throwing your teammates under the bus isn't a good thing?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Bloody hell, I love Matthews but telling the coaches who you do and do not want to play with is not good, especially if it gets leaked to the media

I'm over every bit of dirty laundry or information being aired in the media, don't these guys realize throwing your teammates under the bus isn't a good thing?
To be fair, Matthews has the right to be upset. He seemed much more happier with Willy by his side.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
I can understand that, if you want a change you make sure it doesn't go public though because your throwing Kapanen under the bus
I'll never believe anything Simmons says ever. Kapanen wasn't the best fit for Matthews, but Nylander was absolutely brutal last year because he was so far behind after the late start, and I don't believe it got leaked out somehow that Matthews was pissed playing with Kapanen. It's just Simmons figuring out 1+1=2 and is trying to pass it off as insider info.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Regardless if this was true, Matthews would be playing with Nylander and Johnsson on his wings next season anyway. So it doesn't really matter if he doesn't want to play with Kapanen. Besides, I like Kapanen on the 3rd line as a scoring threat, it's not bad having your bottom 6 containing threats to score.

Reactions: TopCheese

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Not really suprising.
His main strength is pulling the trigger/scoring goals and needs someone thats consistently able to find him in spots to fire.
Actually amazing our coach last season played him for a decent stretch with two guys (Marleau/Kapanen) with below average playmaking skills.

Reactions: NiftyMits

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I imagine Nylander would have been the RW on that line had he been on the team from the start of the season. Not the best look here, but hopefully not as big of a deal as made out to be.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Not really suprising.
His main strength is pulling the trigger/scoring goals and needs someone thats consistently able to find him in spots to fire.
Actually amazing our coach last season played for a decent stretch with two guys (Marleau/Kapanen) with below average playmaking skills.
With Hyman missing the start of the season, Babcock will be forced to have a line with all skilled players. If it looks good, he is going to look extremely bad for not using it before.
I'm not even making fun of Hyman. I love him and believe he is really important to the team. However, he gets overplayed by Babs, and it's not his fault Babcock wants a grinder on each line.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
What's next only red smarties? lol. Actually good on him for speaking up. He's "pretty good" and should have some say on how he is utilized, he's not some atom player. All those core guys should be consulted somewhat, I mean it's not like the Esposito days when he stayed on the ice for 5 minutes and came off when he damned well pleased.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

I don't see Moore playing top 6, yet... if at all.

I also think there is a chance Johnsson will need to get traded to fit Marner's future cap hit on our roster. Anyone hoping for <10.5M right now are dreaming.... I've been guilty of that too. Having thought about the situation some more, I think the contract will come in around 6x11.

Trade Johnsson for a good #6 Dman + mid-round pick, and call it a day.

Edit, I can see this, and push everyone down when Hyman gets healthy

upload_2019-7-6_18-41-32.png

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yeah the part of removing Kappy seems a little off. I don't know how true that is.

There is a freaking trail of smoke behind this guy. Pay him his bonuses and play him a few years before trade. Character counts.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Not really suprising.
Actually amazing our coach last season played him for a decent stretch with two guys (Marleau/Kapanen) with below average playmaking skills.

I think our amazing coach was trying to spread the offense out to 3 lines, I hope that doesn't hurt your anti coaching narrative :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->