Line Combos: Matthews “prefers” not to play with Kapanen

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Even if he said on record he'd prefer to play with Nylander or Marner, that doesn't mean he specifically requested not to play with Kapanen. Although, there were rumblings last year that he asked to have a better offensive player on his LW than Hyman, probably to help his counting stats in a contract year.

To be honest, star players tend to have preferences and ask to play with certain guys. Similar to how the Scheifele/Wheeler thing gets blown out of proportion. Crosby for example always wants players who fight for pucks and play with grit on his line. Hence why he never played an extended time with Kessel and to a lesser extent James Neal. Instead, he got guys like Guentzel, Dupuis, Hornqvist, Rust, and Sheary.

Reactions: MarnerPeachFuzz

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
you misspelled Micheyev lol
Hyman Tavares Marner
Micheyev Matthews Nylander
Kapanen Kerfoot Johnsson
Moore Spezza Shore
How soft can a lineup be mayne? That's like ultra soft offensively. Imagine what type of destruction derby muzzin and ceci would have to do if these guys is playing? Only Hyman can shake som'n up at times and kapanen can hit some..... that's real lame. Kadri's presence is missed badly. We would get pounded real hard if playing against so many thug teams...... we ain't got no warriors out there. It's a real shame dubas doesn't understand we need a man like reaves, wilson, chara or some otha sucka like breashear or domi. Get em, now.

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
Kapanen and Nylander worked together because one is a shooter and one is playmaker, but Matthews is the triggerman on any line he's on. Kapanen did a poor job of adjusting his play to this fact last season. I don't think that a line of Nylander - Matthews - Kapanen can't work, but Kapanen would need to understand that his role on this unit is to disrupt with speed, get in heavy on the forecheck, and get Matthews/Nylander the puck. That's not to say he shouldn't take shots too, he needs to continue shooting to be regarded as a threat and warrant any attention from defenders, but he cannot be looking off Matthews or getting tunnel vision anywhere near as often as he did last year.
Kapanens play regressed because he started to worry about his contract and it got in his head. At least thats my theory. Some players confidence issues are bigger than most and for me -based on Kapanens play- he is like that. He knows hes gonna stay so i think hes going to play better.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Kapanens play regressed because he started to worry about his contract and it got in his head. At least thats my theory. Some players confidence issues are bigger than most and for me -based on Kapanens play- he is like that. He knows hes gonna stay so i think hes going to play better.
Didn’t he had a concussion toward the end of the season and played through it for a few games

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
Didn’t he had a concussion toward the end of the season and played through it for a few games
Yeah that too.
He sometimes has a tunel vison but i think its more like a confidence issue (wanting nothing but to score because the contract) for him rather than a hockey iq thing.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I have to hope given his new huge contract kicking in this season the Leafs are going to start to use Matthews as the workhorse he is.
Matthews has missed time, very clearly, over his last 2 seasons. 20 games in 2nd year, 14 this past one. If he can stay healthy over 82 that will go a long way to providing value, but it's more than just that.

Did you realize Nathan MacKinnon played ~19% more per game than Auston Matthews did in 2018/19. 19%! And neither one was used in a penalty killing role. Neither averaged more than 6 seconds on the entire season. This simply cannot be allowed to happen when your star is now making 11.634 million dollars.

I know people around here tend to get uppity when pace numbers and p/60 are used, so if you're one of those people, this post isn't for you. I think p/60 isn't necessarily the be all, end all, but it's a terrific window into how a player actually performs in the minutes they are provided and I think while what I'm about to do isn't exact science as scoring rates can both improve and slow, it's an interesting way of trying to ballpark where an "unleashed' Matthews could potentially place in league scoring.

As we know Matthews played 68 games, scoring 37 goals and 36 assists, 73 points.
If we use his pace, his estimated finish in 82 games would have been somewhere around 45 goals and 43 assists for a total of 88 points.
If we then apply a 19% increase to his icetime, bringing him up to 22mins per game, his numbers rise to 53 goals and 52 assists for 105 points, tying him with Draisaitl for 4th in league scoring

*before someone says this, yes I realize there are plenty of people between Matthews & Draisaitl for which this exact same exercise could be applied. I acknowledge this to be true, but I would so somewhat counter that point by saying that the overwhelming majority of these players played regularly with better linemates than Kapanen, Marleau & Johnsson. My numbers are purely Matthews pace with these players extended over more playing time, it takes no consideration for the highly likely event that he's paired back with Nylander next year who is a huge upgrade to his wing.

This also gives no consideration to how Matthews season could have played out differently if he hadn't been injured after his 10 game fantastic start to the year.

I really want to see us maximize our 4 best forward assets in Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Nylander. Given the makeup of our team there's no excuse for any of them to be playing less than 20-22 minutes a night.

Last edited:

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Kapanen and Nylander worked together because one is a shooter and one is playmaker, but Matthews is the triggerman on any line he's on. Kapanen did a poor job of adjusting his play to this fact last season. I don't think that a line of Nylander - Matthews - Kapanen can't work, but Kapanen would need to understand that his role on this unit is to disrupt with speed, get in heavy on the forecheck, and get Matthews/Nylander the puck. That's not to say he shouldn't take shots too, he needs to continue shooting to be regarded as a threat and warrant any attention from defenders, but he cannot be looking off Matthews or getting tunnel vision anywhere near as often as he did last year.
It worked because along with Hyman all 3 worked and competed for one another. There wasn't a guy on the line puck watching that waited for teammates to get him the puck because he's shooter.

I know Matthews is god to you but if he himself doesn't get on board with the team game to disrupt with speed, get in heavy on the forcheck as well that you think only Kapanen should be doing on the line you could forget about winning any type of Championship... A Championship will only become a reality when the teams most talented , best players are not only on board with playing like that but the leaders of the team playing like that. Matthews has still much to improve on and can learn a thing or 2 from lesser likes in Kapanen or Hyman on how to play.

Reactions: kfox

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It worked because along with Hyman all 3 worked and competed for one another. There wasn't a guy on the line puck watching that waited for teammates to get him the puck because he's shooter.

I know Matthews is god to you but if he himself doesn't get on board with the team game to disrupt with speed, get in heavy on the forcheck as well that you think only Kapanen should be doing on the line you could forget about winning any type of Championship... A Championship will only become a reality when the teams most talented , best players are not only on board with playing like that but the leaders of the team playing like that. Matthews has still much to improve on and can learn a thing or 2 from lesser likes in Kapanen or Hyman on how to play.

Nothing you tried to attribute to me is at all reflective of how I view Matthews. Of course he can get still improve on things and of course there are things Hyman and Kapanen do better than he does. Most of your rant is nonsense however.

At no point have I ever claimed only hymam or Kapanen should be the only guy forechecking and using speed to disrupt and your assertion that Matthews doesn't do those things or support his linemates is absolutely ridiculous.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
I have to hope given his new huge contract kicking in this season the Leafs are going to start to use Matthews as the workhorse he is.
Matthews has missed time, very clearly, over his last 2 seasons. 20 games in 2nd year, 14 this past one. If he can stay healthy over 82 that will go a long way to providing value, but it's more than just that.

Did you realize Nathan MacKinnon played ~19% more per game than Auston Matthews did in 2018/19. 19%! And neither one was used in a penalty killing role. Neither averaged more than 6 seconds on the entire season. This simply cannot be allowed to happen when your star is now making 11.634 million dollars.

I know people around here tend to get uppity when pace numbers and p/60 are used, so if you're one of those people, this post isn't for you. I think p/60 isn't necessarily the be all, end all, but it's a terrific window into how a player actually performs in the minutes they are provided and I think while what I'm about to do isn't exact science as scoring rates can both improve and slow, it's an interesting way of trying to ballpark where an "unleashed' Matthews could potentially place in league scoring.

As we know Matthews played 68 games, scoring 37 goals and 36 assists, 73 points.
If we use his pace, his estimated finish in 82 games would have been somewhere around 45 goals and 43 assists for a total of 88 points.
If we then apply a 19% increase to his icetime, bringing him up to 22mins per game, his numbers rise to 53 goals and 52 assists for 105 points, tying him with Draisaitl for 4th in league scoring

*before someone says this, yes I realize there are plenty of people between Matthews & Draisaitl for which this exact same exercise could be applied. I acknowledge this to be true, but I would so somewhat counter that point by saying that the overwhelming majority of these players played regularly with better linemates than Kapanen, Marleau & Johnsson. My numbers are purely Matthews pace with these players extended over more playing time, it takes no consideration for the highly likely event that he's paired back with Nylander next year who is a huge upgrade to his wing.

This also gives no consideration to how Matthews season could have played out differently if he hadn't been injured after his 10 game fantastic start to the year.

I really want to see us maximize our 4 best forward assets in Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Nylander. Given the makeup of our team there's no excuse for any of them to be playing less than 20-22 minutes a night.

umm.... why is it we select certain sports where load management is good......

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
kappy has elite speed, plays great defense, and has good and improving offensive skills...he can play on the wing with tavares or matthews no matter who the other winger is, he can play on any line really and be effective

but every goal scoring superstar center needs a winger that can pass the puck and handle the puck around the ice like marner and nylander...honestly if either of willy or marner is with matthews or tavares it should look fine...johnsson and kapanen or hyman (though i prefer the other two in the top 6) then looks perfectly fine finishing a nhl top 2 line, but you gotta start a top line with that goal scoring center and ultra skilled play making winger first

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
With Matthews new contract kicking in next season and him getting to play with willy(who he wants to play with as their styles have had previous success) he wont have much leeway from the fans next season. No more injury excuses, no more pacing for certain amount of points. We will play the top 2 lines 18+ mins a game. Closer to 19 with kerfoot being an average player. Matthews will be heavily scrutinized if he fails to be a top 5 player next year. The minimum I'm expecting from him next year is 50 goals and 55 assists. He should be top 3 in goals, top 5 points and a top 3 hart candidate. He needs to prove this is his team and show that he belongs with other elite players. Hes gotten/going to get everything that he wants so next year will be a true measuring stick where we can see how elite 34 really is.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
How soft can a lineup be mayne? That's like ultra soft offensively. Imagine what type of destruction derby muzzin and ceci would have to do if these guys is playing? Only Hyman can shake som'n up at times and kapanen can hit some..... that's real lame. Kadri's presence is missed badly. We would get pounded real hard if playing against so many thug teams...... we ain't got no warriors out there. It's a real shame dubas doesn't understand we need a man like reaves, wilson, chara or some otha sucka like breashear or domi. Get em, now.

The line-up went from a 3-ply tissue paper with some resiliency to a 2-ply tissue that becomes soaking wet as soon as you drop it on the ice surface...:sarcasm:

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
With Matthews new contract kicking in next season and him getting to play with willy(who he wants to play with as their styles have had previous success) he wont have much leeway from the fans next season. No more injury excuses, no more pacing for certain amount of points. We will play the top 2 lines 18+ mins a game. Closer to 19 with kerfoot being an average player. Matthews will be heavily scrutinized if he fails to be a top 5 player next year. The minimum I'm expecting from him next year is 50 goals and 55 assists. He should be top 3 in goals, top 5 points and a top 3 hart candidate. He needs to prove this is his team and show that he belongs with other elite players. Hes gotten/going to get everything that he wants so next year will be a true measuring stick where we can see how elite 34 really is.

What does his contract status have to do whether it's fair game to criticize him for being injured? Hockey's a game of freak injuries and bad luck. If he takes a puck to the ankle and is out 4-6 weeks are you going to be in here saying "dude's not earning his money. injured AGAIN!"

Saying "no more pacing" is just another way of saying "forget context".

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I'm not putting any expectations on the kid. I think we're all in for a surprise this year but I don't want to get too excited.

I know there's a Salary Cap, and every dollar is so valuable. However people in general put too much weight on what a player earns and thus are always disappointed when they evaluate their play.

Learn to enjoy the player, better yet, the entire game! Notice how they gel with their teammates or are also handcuffed by them. Evaluate their entire game. Let the Toronto Maple Leafs worry about the 11.364 cap hit.

What's something Auston did that game that stood out for you? What's something he can do better? How was he deployed? These are good questions to ask yourself.

It may sound unrealistic, but all of the aforementioned questions can be answered by watching the game and analyzing the data out there without trying to push an agenda. It can be done.

I'm past the Auston Matthews contract, it's in the rear view mirror. All I care is that he's a Maple Leaf for atleast the next 5 years.

All you can hope is that he, a) enjoys his time in Toronto and, b) the team is a playoff contender/Cup favourite during his time here.

Both are going to plan so far.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Now imagine our hype squad playing against calgary next season now..... we could actually bring that and win the game itself..... but think about that thuggin up level. Now they got lucic as well. They'll pound our suckas down so hard. We cannot do anythang against these fools. They hard, heavy, slow and steady to roll over our goons. We ain't got none. We will win actual games, but get some of our key guys injured, even goalies. Mark it and write this thang down. Make notes off the smoke.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Babcock is on thin ice. Lots of stuff coming out. Wonder how long it will be before it comes out. No more will I defend anything he does. Dead man walking.

Can you elaborate on this a little?

Are the young players getting tired of his act?
Has management lost faith in the guy?
Did Dubas want to axe him but got stiffarmed by Shanny and or ownership?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad