Prospect Info: Matthew Tkachuk or PL Dubois (Round 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
If EDM doesn't jump on this I'll be laughing to the bank. They have the pieces to make a block buster. something around

Subban + 9OA

for

4OA + RNH + Yak.

Desai87

Mar 27, 2008
After knowing PLD wants to be picked by Habs. I want Tkachuk over him.

Maybe it won't happen or maybe his heart will always be in Montreal and will leave when he can.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I listened to an interview with Dubois (radio clip interview on TSN Edmonton or a video clip somewhere else) and he was talking as if he was going to Montreal. Gave me some cause for concern at the time and now we see some more smoke. The family must be pressing the issue somewhat. Memories of silent G come to mind. I don't know if we would be prudent to ignore it.

Maybe it won't happen or maybe his heart will always be in Montreal and will leave when he can.

Wasn't he criticised earlier for saying what teams what to hear? It was a French interview afterall. Honestly, I'm not surprised. Most Canadian and American prospects have a team they and their family cheered for growing up so if you ask them they would for sure say they would love playing for the team they cheered for growing up. But most do say they will play for whichever team drafts them.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
But he is. I have seen several games where he is barely even visible, little to no impact on a game for 59 minutes, then might show up for one shift and flash some of his skill, might even pick up a point. But then he will show up some games like he did at the U18s, where he and his line were driving play and creating chances nearly every shift. Which Brown will we be getting? He's enigma.

well, when the situation sets up the second guy, you'll get that guy, and sometimes you'll get the first guy. i dont really see that as enigmatic - he's just not good enough to be the second guy more than whatever percent of the time you think he succeeds at it

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
well, when the situation sets up the second guy, you'll get that guy, and sometimes you'll get the first guy. i dont really see that as enigmatic - he's just not good enough to be the second guy more than whatever percent of the time you think he succeeds at it

When it comes to prospects, saying he's not "good enough" suggests that even if he tried and everything fell into place he can't be more of the second guy. I don't think that's Brown. I think he's a legitimate top 10 pick who had a much better 2nd half and is rising in the draft. I'm not sure if I would label him enigmatic. I think he's inconsistent and more of a project than a finished product.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
If EDM doesn't jump on this I'll be laughing to the bank. They have the pieces to make a block buster. something around

Subban + 9OA

for

4OA + RNH + Yak.

Why would Montreal add their 1st? Hell, even without the 9th overall pick I'd want more than that if I was Montreal (probably since I don't value Yakupov very highly).

Love

Feb 29, 2012
People are making WAY too big a deal about that Dubois quote. He was obviously asked what it would be like to be drafted by the Habs, and responds by complimenting the organization and saying it would be an honour to be drafted by them.

WTF else is he going to say? And the title "One of the top picks in the draft wants one NHL team to trade up for him." Where exactly does PLD say that? The article (and specifically the title) is ridiculously sensational.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Why would Montreal add their 1st? Hell, even without the 9th overall pick I'd want more than that if I was Montreal (probably since I don't value Yakupov very highly).

yeah, if Mtl is coming to Edm I suspect the 9th on the table is just the begining. Unlike Benning, most managers are smart enough to want the moon for a team to trade up.

For Mtl to get the 4th they are going to pay heavy. At Edm could really use Subban.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
yeah, if Mtl is coming to Edm I suspect the 9th on the table is just the begining. Unlike Benning, most managers are smart enough to want the moon for a team to trade up.

For Mtl to get the 4th they are going to pay heavy. At Edm could really use Subban.

Has Vancouver traded down recently? I think Benning is thinking of trading down for the London d man at 7 plus the 20th pick. It makes sense as he keeps saying there is a top 6 with a dman. Calgary would not draft a d man would they? Maybe it is the Russian d man though anyways there is a dman the team covets. They like both the forwards likely to be available so it will take overpayment for Arizona to move up. Arizona I think just want Thachuk. So if edm does trade Canuck trade may follow. I would prefer just to pick the forward but if we somehow ended up with 7 20 and 37 it would be a tough choice what to do.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Has Vancouver traded down recently? I think Benning is thinking of trading down for the London d man at 7 plus the 20th pick. It makes sense as he keeps saying there is a top 6 with a dman. Calgary would not draft a d man would they? Maybe it is the Russian d man though anyways there is a dman the team covets. They like both the forwards likely to be available so it will take overpayment for Arizona to move up. Arizona I think just want Thachuk. So if edm does trade Canuck trade may follow. I would prefer just to pick the forward but if we somehow ended up with 7 20 and 37 it would be a tough choice what to do.

It doesn't make sense unless Benning already regrets the Gudbranson trade. There shouldn't be an immediate need for young dman when we have a number under 25.

Just pick Dubois or Tkachuk and think of the possibilities of Dubois/Tkachuk playing with Boeser.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I'm a little concerned after reading that but if anything this puts pressure on Bergevin to put together a solid offer to trade up with us.

Unfortunately, our dump truck GM will probably accept Desharnais with the Habs 1st.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary

Why? It's Montreal interview asking him about playing for the Habs... No different than a BC boy saying they'd love to be drafted by the Canucks, Sam Reinhart... That didn't stop Buffalo from drafting him. Don't read too much into that, if we draft him he'll love it here and it won't be any problem.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I'm a little concerned after reading that but if anything this puts pressure on Bergevin to put together a solid offer to trade up with us.

Unfortunately, our dump truck GM will probably accept Desharnais with the Habs 1st.

Did you read it? The headline is twisting what was said, he was asked the question, and in that quote he never said he wishes for the Habs to trade up for him, he said him and his friends and family are Hab fans and it would be an honor to be drafted by them, nothing to be concerned about.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Did you read it? The headline is twisting what was said, he was asked the question, and in that quote he never said he wishes for the Habs to trade up for him, he said him and his friends and family are Hab fans and it would be an honor to be drafted by them, nothing to be concerned about.

You're 100% correct but don't forget this fanbase/board lost their minds over McCann's "it is what it is" comment so finding reasons to feel slighted is what they do.

Here's the actual quote:

"My family cheers for the Canadiens, my friends cheer for the Canadiens, it's one of the best organizations in the National Hockey League, and they have some of the best fans in the league, it would be an honour to be drafted by them."

And keep in mind this is a French interview for TVA Sports. Like is this really so surprising to people? You don't think he'd say the exact same thing if he was interviewed by the Vancouver Sun, minus the part about his family/friends growing up fans? The irony is this is probably getting negative play amongst Habs fans because he never says HE grew up a Habs fan.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I'm sure if you ask Tkachuk his childhood team wasn't the Canucks either. I'd honestly be more worried about him jumping ship as a UFA down the line than PLD.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
http://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/...ays-he-wants-one-nhl-team-to-trade-up-for-him

Don't like this... I'd start talking to Montreal now. Bergeron is under a lot of pressure to make a splash after the year they had and will probably be apt to overpay. He fleeced Jim once on Prust, so they owe us one. What can we expect?

Doesnt sound good at all. Dang too bad i thought he would be such a solid #5 but now its clear as soon as UFA he will bounce. Only thing possible is if Montreal trades for edmontons pick and foolishly takes Dubois over Tkachuck and we get him. I rate Tkachuck waaaaay over Dubois anyways so that would be a dream situ

hopefully the story is exagerated otherwise its hard to get on board now with him maybe :(

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Doesnt sound good at all. Dang too bad i thought he would be such a solid #5 but now its clear as soon as UFA he will bounce. Only thing possible is if Montreal trades for edmontons pick and foolishly takes Dubois over Tkachuck and we get him. I rate Tkachuck waaaaay over Dubois anyways so that would be a dream situ

But realisitcaly i dont think i could get on board with Dubois now :(

Is this actually serious?

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC

But realisitcaly i dont think i could get on board with Dubois now :(

You hurt my brain:laugh:

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
childhood team should play a big role. we all know johansen follows the canucks on twitter.

if dubois followed montreal after beig drafted with us its kinda crappy.

i want tkachuk anyway if edmonton takes him i would rob mtl for gallagher and the 9th i have a feeling 9th overall are very good to us

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
childhood team should play a big role. we all know johansen follows the canucks on twitter.

if dubois followed montreal after beig drafted with us its kinda crappy.

i want tkachuk anyway if edmonton takes him i would rob mtl for gallagher and the 9th i have a feeling 9th overall are very good to us

read the actual quote. He said his friends and family grew up fans. Doesn't mention he did. You think he probably would mention it if he truly were a Habs fan, no?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Can't believe people are freaking out about that PLD quote. Pretty much every draft eligible player is asked that about their hometown and responds the same way; in fact, prospects tend to say "it would be an honour" to play for every team that interviews them. I wouldn't worry about it.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
read the actual quote. He said his friends and family grew up fans. Doesn't mention he did. You think he probably would mention it if he truly were a Habs fan, no?

no because it would be cause for concern and he has nothing to gain by mentioning it but 100 more questions.

i personally would not trade him cuz i dont see getting value back but him not mentioning it has nothing to do with it.

he has shades of hodgson if he doesnt make the nhl and prove hes the player his family is acting like

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
http://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/...ays-he-wants-one-nhl-team-to-trade-up-for-him

Don't like this... I'd start talking to Montreal now. Bergeron is under a lot of pressure to make a splash after the year they had and will probably be apt to overpay. He fleeced Jim once on Prust, so they owe us one. What can we expect?

Bergevin calls Benning saying "c'mon, this kid really wants to be a Canadien, let's do him a solid"

Benning agrees to trade the 5th overall pick plus our 3rd round pick to Montreal for the 9th overall pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad