Prospect Info: Matthew Tkachuk or PL Dubois (Round 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think ultimately it probably comes down less to our choice, and more to which of the two the Oilers don't take.

Just hard for me to see the Oilers finding a defenceman out there actually available via trade, who is actually worth that 4th pick for them. And the need for the Oilers is more defence now...not a few years from now - even if there's a defence prospect in the draft they think is worth the 4th overall pick.

Tkachuk coming off an insane playoffs plays the sort of game that would seem like a perfect fit with McDavid for a long, long time to come (unfortunately for us :cry:). Absolutely seems like their guy - assuming they stay there and pick.

Which would leave us Dubois, and i couldn't be happier about that.

Always the outside chance Oilers find a dance partner to trade down a few spots to take a defenceman to develop i suppose. Habs trading up for Dubois obviously seems to have a bit of media steam behind it at least. Though that'd likely push the Oilers too far down the order to have their pick of the defence prospects - probably more like Sergachev/Bean/McAvoy territory - bigger projects. Calgary swapping with Edmonton seems like a tough sale to make. Buffalo and Arizona seem to me, fairly inclined to go defence themselves if the right guy is there. Not an easy deal to make.

Either way though...we should walk away from the draft with one of Dubois or Tkachuk, and that's pretty awesome.

JA

We aren't in a position to choose, so I would be happy with whichever player remains.

That said, I think the Canucks should take Dubois ahead of Tkachuk.

JA

I noted a similarity between Dubois and Trevor Linden in the following post and observed Linden's transition from wing to center:

Dubois and Linden: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=118830795&postcount=993
Linden - from right wing to center: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=118831631&postcount=996

Linden peaked in 1995-96 with 33 goals, 47 assists, 80 points that season and a fifth place finish in Selke Trophy voting. I think it's tough for Linden not to see some of himself in this physical yet lanky power forward; Linden was 6'3'' 200 lbs early in his career, which is Dubois' current measurement as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the comparisons start to arise depending on whether Vancouver takes him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Desai87

Mar 27, 2008
Before Tkachuks amazing playoffs and the Memorial Cup, people wanted PLD. Now it's almost 50-50.

I will be happy with either. Prefer PLD because he MIGHT be our future 1-2 C.

BigTruzz

Jul 19, 2011
Surrey
Today I want Tkachuk.

Tomorrow I'll want Dubois.

Good thing is we don't have to decide (unless Oilers take Juolevi)

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
The Tkachuk ship has likely sailed out of our reach:

Tkachuk will go at #4 in my opinion. His style of game fits McDavid's like a glove.

I like Dubois and Tkachuk equally, but I think the Canucks will land Dubois.

I think a more appropriate thread would have been, "PL Dubois or Juolevi."

We aren't getting Son of Keith.

JA

Here is an extended highlight package from the CHL Top Prospects game. There are several exciting Dubois moments in there. He wears #18 in the footage for the team in white (Team Orr).

Time stamps (all moments that Dubois appears in the highlight package):

1:30 - 1:43

2:15 - 2:54

5:03 - 5:09

5:53 - 6:11

6:20 - 6:30

7:35 - 7:55

8:22 - 8:28

9:40 - 9:43 (comment)

9:49 - 10:02

10:37 - 10:53

11:36 - 12:34

13:20 - 13:36

He looks like he can throw his weight around:

JA

New article from Ben Kuzma:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/kuzma+benning+learning+what+makes+players+tick+draft/11950995/story.html
Kuzma: Benning big on learning 'what makes players tick' at NHL draft combine
By Ben Kuzma May 29, 2016

Jim Benning has questions. Lots of questions.

The Vancouver Canucks general manager will not only land a good player with the fifth overall pick in the NHL draft on June 24, he will select a good person. That latter part of the critical process will play out Monday to Friday in Buffalo when interviews involving 114 prospects are conducted at the draft combine. Medicals go Thursday, and physical testing Saturday.

With the rapid ascent of younger players to the NHL, interviews are imperative. A player can be driven on the ice, but is he mature enough to understand the team concept? Is he accountable, amiable and articulate? Is there some hidden baggage?

“The thing I’m most interested in is meeting the kids and getting to know them as people because we just watch them play all year,” said Benning.

“It’s getting them in an environment where they don’t have a helmet and equipment on so you can sit down with them and try to figure out what makes them tick.

“I’ve been a part of it for 24 years, so I’ve got some questions that I want answers to. I don’t run them (interviews) anymore. I just see where they’re going and if it’s going down a certain path and I feel there’s a question that needs to be asked, then I’ll ask it.”

The Canucks covet QMJHL centre Pierre-Luc Dubois. However, there could be some pre-selection drama because the Edmonton Oilers pick fourth and they see the 6-foot-3. 202 pounder, who had 99 points (42-57) in 62 came with Cape Breton, as a winger. That could play into ongoing speculation that the Oilers will trade Taylor Hall to acquire a top-pairing defenceman, or that they may select winger Matthew Tkachuk to help fill the roster void.

He believes that the Canucks are eyeing Dubois. It's what most of us think, but Kuzma reports it here as if it was a fact.

Brad Ziemer of the Vancouver Sun also strongly asserts this.

Benning has said on such programs as Hockey Central @ Noon that trading McCann allows Vancouver the freedom to add another top-six forward in the first round of the draft -- why wouldn't that forward be a potential centerman to fill the void that McCann left behind? The trading of McCann means that the Canucks should pick a centerman to replace him. If Benning believes that McCann could have been a future second-line centerman, then it would make no sense to forfeit the chance to have two good centermen in the future top six (Horvat, McCann) unless there was a chance to make an upgrade. The team already stated at the end of the season that they see a top-line centerman as one of the team's greatest needs, and they would not have traded McCann unless they expected to acquire a centerman who could replace him; otherwise, they would further be depleting their prospect center depth.

Benning also noted that the Canucks have two forwards in the second tier of draft prospects behind the top three; they couldn't possibly have any of the other center prospects in that group aside from Dubois if Tkachuk is the other player in their top five. Everything points towards Dubois being the team's selection.

I'm certain that Pierre-Luc Dubois is the Canucks' target at fifth overall, and he also would have been their target at the fourth overall position. Hopefully, the Oilers take Matthew Tkachuk. They have ample depth at center and need effective scoring wingers, especially ones who can complement Connor McDavid.

Dubois is the player the Canucks need.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Fair enough. I just feel like this whole debate would be more relevant if our team actually had the choice to make.

Agree 100%. We have no choice here at #5, its basically whoever Edmonton doesn't pick.

Easy easy

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I went with Tkachuk because he looks like a big game player. Dubois is probably a better fit to build around though.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
After watching Tkachuk at the Memorial Cup... it's minimized my concerns for his skating. (Still there, but minimized)

He's an unbelievable talent!

Now officially stoked about whichever of the 2 players drops to us!

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
heck there are some CBJ fans now that are hoping for Tkachuk at #3. All of a sudden after the first 2 picks, it gets extremely interesting.... however, you guys are sitting pretty at 5 cause you just take whoever is there out of Pulijjarvi, Dubuis and tkachuk

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Horvat-Dubois would be one of the toughest 1-2 center combo to play against in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad