Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
"We're grown men. Ofc we throw tantrums on the bench in the middle of a game and then complain when you ask us about it."
"We're grown men ofc we sit out for half the season to pry every penny we can get out of the organization when 99% of the population would be happy with even 1/50th of what we make"
"We're grown men. Ofc we fail to execute and then get mad at the coach for not wanting us to play how we want."

Reactions: Gilmour1996

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The thing is, MM scored a great goal afterwards but nobody is talking about it.

I think he needs to take over a couple games and lead to some wins for folks to let something go.

If he gets the team to game 7 it may be a different story (at least may halt the trade talk a bit lol). Though it'll be hard for other to get passed that

Reactions: studebaker17

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I think he needs to take over a couple games and lead to some wins for folks to let something go.

If he gets the team to game 7 it may be a different story (at least may halt the trade talk a bit lol). Though it'll be hard for other to get passed that

I think any or all of these 10+ million dollar forwards should be taking over games and that is our biggest problem. All of them have been garbage compared to their pay scale. They have to set the tone.

Reactions: ACC1224

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Marleau wasn’t that bad, I thought he brought some legitimacy to the team. That group was very likeable and they worked hard. 16/17 & 17/18 were some of the best years. 1 year too much on the contract. Joe Thornton, boy shit started to hit the fan with him. That lockeroom became a disaster
I have a strong feeling that Marner and Matthews are the way they are because of Marleau. He was the most passive player and pound for pound the most cowardly player I've ever seen but because he's a big shy quiet Canadian boy from the sticks he always got a pass for it. I remember when Krug cross checked him in the playoffs after the whistle and he just couldn't care less. M+M were super close with him it's hard to believe his beliefs didn't rub off on them. I can understand why Roenick tore into Marleau in his book after watching him in Toronto

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
The clip of the glove throwing was.....unfortunate.

It just comes across worse than if he had just slammed his stick once. It's going to follow him around, at minimum for the rest of the offseason and into the next season.

Needs a strong next game to shake it off
Nylander also has to stop pretending to be a leader and produce

He sat 3 games and played invisible game 4

Hes not the guy to talk about playoffs. None of the core 4 are, marner just is the biggest case of the 3

Reactions: studebaker17

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Leafs fans love a scapegoat.

Mitch hasn't been great by any means but he has plenty of company that is getting a pass for some reason.

That I agree with. If anything, Mitch absorbs more heat that should go to Matthews but doesn’t because it’s too on the nose to blame the shortcomings of the Matthews era on Matthews himself. He absorbs the heat that should go to Tavares but JT’s such a lost cause it’s not worth the pile on. And he absorbs some of the heat that bounces off Nylander.

But it doesn’t mean he’s receiving undeserved criticism.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Nylander is the problem here. He plays like a figure skater, won't go into tough areas. Marner simply got fed up with golden boy. Trade everyone and rebuild the right way. The coach needs to go first.

TBH all of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares and Rielly are the problem. Way overpaid for what we're getting in the playoffs, at least.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Not reading all the BS but I assume this was posted?

Rosehill is spot on. Any path forward for this franchise does not involve Marner and certainly does not involve giving him any sort of pay raise.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Mitch needs to go, but I also can't help but feel the dude is being crucified alone in the media.

Across 3 games we have 1 goal total between the bottom 6 and Dcore.

Our PP is 1 for 14 or whatever. Our PK is at 50%!

Sammy is chalked.

The entire organization should be put on blast.

Matthews was a bull on his skates until he got so sick he could barely be upright. Might not have scored every game but he was in the trenches. Nylander gets the odd clip of being soft but for the most part he is engaged physically every time he is near the puck.

Marner has an hour long youtube reel of bailing on any physicality. He is so soft he brings morale down for the other guys. He gets rattled so easily it brings down the group.

Ship him off literally anywhere for anything. He cannot start another season as a Leaf. He is done here.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Shanahan thought these guys were all going to be the modern version of Yzerman. Skill focused players but criticized for being soft who eventually became entrenched and one of the all time greats.

I think he's wrong. I can see another level in AM. Not in MM no way.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Nylander gets the odd clip of being soft but for the most part he is engaged physically every time he is near the puck.

He has been losing the puck a lot lately though. Not sure why, but he has.

Mitch hasn't been great by any means but he has plenty of company that is getting a pass for some reason.

They are not getting a pass.

Mitch is getting slagged because it is so egregious with him.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Fire Shanny .. fire Keefer .. trade Mitch and JT asap this summer by whoever takes over team .. try to get us a no 1 G and D or at least some 1st round picks in 2024 draft .. da formula is pretty simple .. if they won't accept a trade send them to Marlies for season .. if they won't go to Marlies then let them sit at home.
Agree with everything you said but full NMC means they can’t be sent down to the Marlies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Not reading all the BS but I assume this was posted?

Rosehill is spot on. Any path forward for this franchise does not involve Marner and certainly does not involve giving him any sort of pay raise.

Rosehill should be expecting a call from Paul, and the Marnerettes on this board. That was something. LOL.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Tampa has a very different reputation to Toronto - let's not be silly and pretend otherwise just to formulate an argument that makes no sense
Both of those teams are in warm weather destinations with no state tax. Players net about 10% more after taxes. That helps.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

I think people are fed up with the core as a whole.

Marner is getting pushed forward because of a few factors. He has the worst playstyle of the core for the playoffs, he's not performing, he has a terrible track record in the playoffs, can't handle the media, and is next up for an extension. Everything is working against him right now and he's rightly getting torn to pieces.

If I compare them, Nylander had a decent run last season (looked acceptable last night too), Matthews just dominated game 2, and Tavares works harder than Marner even though he's complete rubbish and past his prime.

Keefe, Marner, and Tavares need to be gone. If Marner is getting more heat then that's fine because he's deserving of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad