Matt Read (thread started in 2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Very fast, good hands and a nice shot. Appears to be a smart player as well. Obviously there's the preseason caveat.

More insight...

Preseason is a caveat and again it's not a conclusive assessment over the long term but it does matter for something.

Laviolette has given Read nearly every test possible in the preseason - and seemingly there has not been one that he hasn't passed with flying colors. He has played the power play, the point on the power play, the penalty kill, and has been tried on multiple lines in all three forward positions with multiple linemates.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...ct_Read_making_bid_to_stay.html#ixzz1ZGFt51t5

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
More insight...

Preseason is a caveat and again it's not a conclusive assessment over the long term but it does matter for something.

Sure, but the caveat is significant and shouldn't be downplayed. All of this is relative to his competition which will be much tougher soon.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Sure, but the caveat is significant and shouldn't be downplayed. All of this is relative to his competition which will be much tougher soon.

No doubt but so far so good considering all the scenarios he's been placed in and exceeded expectations per the coaching staff

LePalle

Aug 22, 2006
South Jersey
I'll certainly give credit where it is due. Homer can do some great things with very few draft picks. I know how there are many people who feel that the prospect cupboard is empty but I think it's quite well stocked and the future is looking fairly bright. From the little I got to see of Akeson, and Brown and what we already know about Harry Z and Read, I feel this years crop of undrafted signings are guys that all have decent upsides. We'll see how Manning does this year in the A, but he may have some upside as well.

I find it interesting that of the guys fighting for roster spots right now half were undrafted.
It's very true, the whole summer we've heard good things about our prospect pool. Holmgren is definitely great at the things he's good at. He's finding talent.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I've merged the Read threads into one Read megathread for everyone to read. I hope Read is ready to step up for the season, he's certainly made a splash in preseason. READ

Bonus question: How many times does "read" appear in that sentence?

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Can we include the Three R's thread since it's mostly about Read and there was some good discussion in there. Will be good to look back if he pans out and makes up for losing Patrick Sharp...

might2mash

Post-apocalyptic
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend
I've merged the Read threads into one Read megathread for everyone to read. I hope Read is ready to step up for the season, he's certainly made a splash in preseason. READ

Bonus question: How many times does "read" appear in that sentence?

Not by my count. There's eight there, but not all in one sentence. Beef, you need to clarify your question. Which of the two full sentences plus one one-word fragment is 'that sentence'? ;)

Last edited:

FlyerX

Oct 9, 2008
The kid makes the team. The caveat about the preseason caveat is you don't know how he'll do until you see him out there in the regular season so put him out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad