Status
Not open for further replies.

decadentia

Jun 21, 2007
New Brunswick

not_funny_cert.jpg

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
I haven't seen any preseason games, would anyone mind giving me their impression of him so far?

Appreciate it.

He reminds me a lot of Powe but with better offensive abilities.

I remember how everyone here (ok, not EVERYONE but a lot of you) were falling all over yourselves about Powe and saying how he needed to be in our top 9 and some even wanted him as a regular top 6. Powe is a 4th liner and PKer who can fill-in on the top 9 when needed but he doesn't have the offensive abilities to be a consistant top 9 guy.

Right now Read is making a name for himself by hustling his butt off. Good for him, he's making himself a valuable asset to the team right now but lets not get ahead of ourselves. Right now he'd probably be best used as a 4th line PKer or on the 3rd line with our shut-down line (where he can use his "smarts" to stop the other teams top line). Remember, with the exception of them HAVING to jump up into the top 6 because of injuries, none of Richards, Carter, Giroux and JVR played in our top 6 as rookies and sorry but Read isn't anywhere close to the abilities of any of those 4. He'll be a bottom 6 guy for us for now and that's fine with me.

Spongolium*

I completely disagree with everything you posted.

Read has proven that he is an offensive threat. His speed makes him a dangerous player on the ice, and looks to be a perfect linemate for a third offensive line in Schenn and Simmonds.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
I have been high on Read since he was signed out of college and then tore up the AHL.
Who cares if he did not go through the usual system? He either has it or he doesn't and so far he has shown that he has the skills and drive to be a NHL player.

decadentia

Jun 21, 2007
New Brunswick

I remember how everyone here (ok, not EVERYONE but a lot of you) were falling all over yourselves about Powe and saying how he needed to be in our top 9 and some even wanted him as a regular top 6. Powe is a 4th liner and PKer who can fill-in on the top 9 when needed but he doesn't have the offensive abilities to be a consistant top 9 guy.

Right now Read is making a name for himself by hustling his butt off. Good for him, he's making himself a valuable asset to the team right now but lets not get ahead of ourselves. Right now he'd probably be best used as a 4th line PKer or on the 3rd line with our shut-down line (where he can use his "smarts" to stop the other teams top line). Remember, with the exception of them HAVING to jump up into the top 6 because of injuries, none of Richards, Carter, Giroux and JVR played in our top 6 as rookies and sorry but Read isn't anywhere close to the abilities of any of those 4. He'll be a bottom 6 guy for us for now and that's fine with me.

I completely disagree with everything you posted.

Read has proven that he is an offensive threat. His speed makes him a dangerous player on the ice, and looks to be a perfect linemate for a third offensive line in Schenn and Simmonds.

Appreciate both feedback...personally even if Read turned out to be another Powe i'd be happy with that. If he turns out to have more upside and possibly cracks Top 9, all the better. I'm not the kind of guy to count my chickens before they hatch...especially before they go in my puddin'....or something like that.

Kind of excited to see him for myself, I need to catch a game.

mirimon

Oct 2, 2009
The Wrong Town

I don't think it works comparing him to Powe at all. Other than that though, I pretty much agree with you.

Read came up pretty much noted for his offensive abilities having had that great finish to the last season up in Adirondack, but has shown so far that he has more to his game than that. He has been really solid on the pk and works well in all areas of the ice so far.

Powe, on the other hand, had 23 pts in a full AHL season before he made the Flyers (and a strong start to the next season, I'll admit) but stood out with his speed and energy. This was before my time on these boards, so I don't really know what was said about him at the time. I've always liked Powe though, and would've preferred to have seen him in the top 9 rather than someone like Carcillo, but I agree that he is a 4th liner who can step up if needed for a few games.

I agree that we shouldn't expect Read to be a top six player, and I'm still a bit sceptical about him being able to hold on for a full season.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
phlocky said:

That's a horrible comparison. Read is nothing like Powe.

kicksave27

Nov 29, 2007
It's always good to be cautious about preseason performance. I know people bring up Jon Sim. But when it comes to prospects, anyone remember Petr Hubacek. sp? He looked great in preseason, saw a few games in the regular season never to be heard from again. Not saying Read will do the same thing, just saying a preseason does not a career make.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Read has shown he can keep up in the NHL, now he just needs to show if he can do it for 82 games and playoffs. Of course, if he can't do that this year it's no big deal. Regardless of how he plays out this season, we have a lot to look forward to from this guy in the future.

mirimon

Oct 2, 2009
The Wrong Town
He looks great so far. Best part is he doesn't really show any glaring weaknesses in his game, most rookies have at least a few that stand out, where they were able to get by on a lower level, but not so much in the NHL. He's very well rounded.

Snipsnap12

Nov 16, 2010
He looks great so far. Best part is he doesn't really show any glaring weaknesses in his game, most rookies have at least a few that stand out, where they were able to get by on a lower level, but not so much in the NHL. He's very well rounded.

his defensive zone play has been so clean and sound.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Read has shown he can keep up in the NHL, now he just needs to show if he can do it for 82 games and playoffs. Of course, if he can't do that this year it's no big deal. Regardless of how he plays out this season, we have a lot to look forward to from this guy in the future.

I understand your concerns about the possibility of him burning out. However his being 25 and not a slight kid should help him later on in the season. If I was Harts and Nodl I would be slightly worried. With the young talent we have and with a lot of picks in the next two drafts. I am stoked to the max about our future. So far so good.

Snipsnap12

Nov 16, 2010
Does anyone else think that he skates and looks almost identical to giroux on the ice. The ottawa announcers thought it was giroux when he scores the first goal, and they did not realize it was read until abou a minute later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad