Matt Read (thread started in 2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
If Read pans out and makes the team we'll have the three R's...Read, JV"R" and Roo.
Sounds like he will challenge for a spot.

Nice ref to Otto...those Messier and Otto battles were a treat back in the day. When the Flyers got him he was still pretty good as a shutdown C. Very good at the draw if I recall correctly...

Now Manderville..that was another story :laugh:

Flyers' Read hopes to follow in JVR's footsteps

Even before Mike Richards was traded, the magnetized placard “Matt Read†was hanging up in Paul Holmgren’s office on a line with Richards and Kris Versteeg.

Now Richards and Versteeg are gone – but Read is still here and was among the on-ice contingent at Skate Zone this week during the Flyers’ prospect camp.

If there is one thing we have learned about the new-direction Flyers this summer it’s this: Anything is possible.

“I didn’t know what to think, at first,†Read said, adding his friends were texting him after the Richards trade, saying the odds of him making the Flyers’ roster went up.

“It’s still a big jump for me. I’ve got to come prepared. There could be an open spot. I have to look at it in the way it could be an opportunity for me and opening up a spot for myself. They’re a developing team that wants to win a Stanley Cup.â€

Read is the first American-born Flyer since Joel Otto to have played collegiately at Bemidji State in Minnesota. He’s also what you’d call a “thick†player.

http://www.csnphilly.com/07/07/11/F...ot/news_flyers.html?blockID=539732&feedID=704

Last edited by a moderator:

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Read - Richards - Versteeg
Hartnell - Briere - Leino
vanRiemsdyk - Giroux - Carter

That's probably what our lines would've looked like.

It's good to know that he thinks so highly of Read though. The problem now is whether Read can jump Nodl/send Nodl to the fourth line.

This summer it may be a war between Nodl, Read, Couturier, and Wellwood.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
If Read pans out and makes the team we'll have the three R's...Read, JV"R" and Roo.
Sounds like he will challenge for a spot.

Nice ref to Otto...those Messier and Otto battles were a treat back in the day. When the Flyers got him he was still pretty good as a shutdown C. Very good at the draw if I recall correctly...
Now Manderville..that was another story :laugh:

Joel Otto WAS brought in specifically to battle Mess when he signed with the Rangers. Yes he was very good on draws.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Joel Otto WAS brought in specifically to battle Mess when he signed with the Rangers. Yes he was very good on draws.

Yeah I would have preferred the reverse where we got Messier.....I remember when the Flyers showed interest but can't recall how interested they were. I wish we got him so the Rangers would still be without a cup since the 40's...:(

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Yeah I would have preferred the reverse where we got Messier.....I remember when the Flyers showed interest but can't recall how interested they were. I wish we got him so the Rangers would still be without a cup since the 40's...:(

He openly said he wanted to be traded to the Flyers (pre-trade to NY, while still with Edmonton). He was friends with Tocchet, too. The prior season, the Flyers supposedly offered a large sum ($10m or something extraordinary) to the Oilers straight up.

Last edited:

esuhock22

Jan 24, 2011
Broad Street Hockey pointed this out and was spot on. From the wonderful Tim P. "Consider this: other than Read’s age, what is so vastly different between him making the jump out of college and James van Riemsdyk doing the same out of New Hampshire in 2009-10" Um how about one was a second overall pick and the other wasn't even drafted.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Broad Street Hockey pointed this out and was spot on. From the wonderful Tim P. "Consider this: other than Read’s age, what is so vastly different between him making the jump out of college and James van Riemsdyk doing the same out of New Hampshire in 2009-10" Um how about one was a second overall pick and the other wasn't even drafted.

Yeah. That's like saying "What's the difference between Shelley and Lemieux?"

WeekendAtBernies

Jun 27, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I love the Panaccio bashing as much as anyone, but I think he makes a somewhat decent point here...

Timmy P isn't trying to say that Read is another JVR, he isn't trying to say the kid is going to be an NHL superstar, he's simply saying, given JVR's production in college and Read's production in college, why couldn't Read come in here and produce 40 points for this team via a 3rd line role like JVR did in his 1st year?

Obviously JVR had and continues to have a way higher ceiling than Read, but in his 1st year, JVR was nowhere near that ceiling... he was untapped potential. Considering Read is older, has more experience and scored over a PPG for the Phantoms last year, I think it's not a stretch to think he could snag us 35-40 points... the difference between him and JVR however, is that Read will stay @ around that level of production while JVR (hopefully) ascends to superstar status.

Timmy P wasn't trying to say that Read @ 25 will be anything remotely close to JVR @ 25, he was simply trying to say that a 20 y/o JVR could be comparable statistically speaking to a 25 y/o Matt Read. And I think that's valid.

Also, to those saying Read is overhyped, who exactly is overhyping him so much? I think most people have been suggesting that perhaps he could win a 3rd line role and will be a guy whose absolute max is an average 2nd liner... what's so overhyped about that?

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I think the problem most have is that he's a 25 year old who has been playing against younger guys. There's a big difference between playing 22 year olds and guys his age and older. Plus, he hasn't played many games in a season. College is different than even the CHL where they play close to 70 games plus playoffs so that's another factor. We saw how Bob faded last season as did Leino. Both those guys hadn't played anywhere near an 82 game regular season in the past.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I love the Panaccio bashing as much as anyone, but I think he makes a somewhat decent point here...

Timmy P isn't trying to say that Read is another JVR, he isn't trying to say the kid is going to be an NHL superstar, he's simply saying, given JVR's production in college and Read's production in college, why couldn't Read come in here and produce 40 points for this team via a 3rd line role like JVR did in his 1st year?

Obviously JVR had and continues to have a way higher ceiling than Read, but in his 1st year, JVR was nowhere near that ceiling... he was untapped potential. Considering Read is older, has more experience and scored over a PPG for the Phantoms last year, I think it's not a stretch to think he could snag us 35-40 points... the difference between him and JVR however, is that Read will stay @ around that level of production while JVR (hopefully) ascends to superstar status.

Timmy P wasn't trying to say that Read @ 25 will be anything remotely close to JVR @ 25, he was simply trying to say that a 20 y/o JVR could be comparable statistically speaking to a 25 y/o Matt Read. And I think that's valid.

Also, to those saying Read is overhyped, who exactly is overhyping him so much? I think most people have been suggesting that perhaps he could win a 3rd line role and will be a guy whose absolute max is an average 2nd liner... what's so overhyped about that?

His logic is quite flawed. Production in college in any sport does not translate into professional sports. The one thing that does translate from College to Pro sports is skills, and athleticism, not stats.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
His logic is quite flawed. Production in college in any sport does not translate into professional sports. The one thing that does translate from College to Pro sports is skills, and athleticism, not stats.

You're right.

It's one thing to be a decent corner in college and put up decent stats.

It's another thing to cover Randy Moss.

Rick Deckard

Mar 30, 2006
Germany
They are at different points in their learning curves, Read is near his ceiling while JvR was just growing in his body. For next season the difference between their respective rookie seasons shouldn't be to big, especially after Read showed in the AHL that he can produce against men, something JvR hadn't shown.

Snipsnap12

Nov 16, 2010
I watched read in a couple phantom games last year. He really dominated at times, and it looked too easy for him, which is what someone with quality nhl skill should do in the ahl. I think he is going to surprise alot of fans, and could contribute quite nicely. Also the comment on him being a "thick" kid is very true, he is bulky and has a massive neck, he definately will be able to hold his own physically.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
he is bulky and has a massive neck, he definately will be able to hold his own physically.

oh you mean like Carle :sarcasm:

Too bad Carle can't learn to distribute the weight of his neck to his shot which can barely break an egg or for that matter use the weight of his neck to actually throw a check...

might2mash

Post-apocalyptic
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend
College is different than even the CHL where they play close to 70 games plus playoffs so that's another factor. We saw how Bob faded last season as did Leino. Both those guys hadn't played anywhere near an 82 game regular season in the past.
Yet many rookies from the CHL also hit a similar wall. The difference in NHL pace and physicality is what does most players in, not just the sheer number of games. Also very different for goalies. College players have come in and made a full-season impact in the past, not to say Read can/will, but you can't write a guy off because you think he'll hit a wall; it's not a predictable occurrence.

You're right.

It's one thing to be a decent corner in college and put up decent stats.

It's another thing to cover Randy Moss.
It's one thing to compare the transition from college football to the NFL.

It's another thing to compare the transition from college hockey to the NHL. Generally you'll see the same type of transition. College PPG forwards usually can slide into NHL 3rd line roles rather smoothly. Any less than that though and it's an instant crapshoot.

might2mash

Post-apocalyptic
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend
people were excited about Jason Krog coming out of college too. How has his pro career been

Mid to late 90s college hockey was about a different from how college hockey is now as pre-lockout NHL is to current NHL. Hard to make that comparison, but yeah, there are still going to be a lot more mediocre players and outright failures than successes and superstars. That's just hockey.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Read indeed

Well seems Read is set to make the team thus far....:nod:

One of those guys who is going to stick around is Matt Read.

Read has four points in three exhibition games. He continues to make a strong case for himself among the top 12 forwards – not the 13th. He worked both the penalty kill and power play against Detroit.

“He’s a well-rounded player,†Laviolette said. “This is our first look at him as coaches at the NHL level against NHL players and he still continues to impress.â€

http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/flyer...-getting-team-toget?blockID=566596&feedID=695

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad