Matt Read (thread started in 2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyersjamminontheone

In Claude we trust
Sep 17, 2007
Brandon, Friendly MB
I don't think the Briere contract was a bad one, and unlike Bryz there were a lot of other teams who wanted to sign him. I'm glad Homer got him and not Gomez, Drury or Smyth.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=394395

They definitely paid for briere, however, he was also coming to the worst team in the league at the time. But if I'm not mistaken, didn't homer make offers to drury and Gomez?

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I really wouldn't mind if Read went after the money in UFA. I mean it would suck for the Flyers, but I can't fault the guy. It's likely to be the only big money deal he'll see in his career.

I hope I'm wrong though. His versatility is something that would be very valuable to the club moving forward.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I really wouldn't mind if Read went after the money in UFA. I mean it would suck for the Flyers, but I can't fault the guy. It's likely to be the only big money deal he'll see in his career.

I hope I'm wrong though. His versatility is something that would be very valuable to the club moving forward.

I think the Flyers will move him before that happens.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I think the Flyers will move him before that happens.

There's no way they move him during the season next year if they're a playoff team. If not, maybe. I bet they kick the tires on it before the draft, if only to maybe move up or trade for a Rundblad type.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There's no way they move him during the season next year if they're a playoff team. If not, maybe. I bet they kick the tires on it before the draft, if only to maybe move up or trade for a Rundblad type.

They probably have a date in mind where he'll need to sign by before they move him out. It could possibly be this summer. The Flyers like locking up their guys early.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
If we did trade Read we would only have 6 top 9 forwards for next season so far. 7 if you count Laughton, although I wouldn't be surprised if they want him as the 4th line center next season

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
If we did trade Read we would only have 6 top 9 forwards for next season so far. 7 if you count Laughton, although I wouldn't be surprised if they want him as the 4th line center next season
assuming read is gone you have:
Vora
Giroux
X

Schenn
Harts
Simmer

Couts
Briere
X

I think gags returns, and where do talbot and rinaldo slot?

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

Holmgren talked about getting bigger. It was assumed he meant the forwards so I can see a big winger like Clowe or Clarkson brought in. I think Read needs to go before the draft. If he can't get a current NHL or NHL-ready player in a trade, I would try to move him for a high draft pick. Calgary according to Elliotte Friedman likes him a lot. Maybe they would give up one of the their later 1sts.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
assuming read is gone you have:
Vora
Giroux
X

Schenn
Harts
Simmer

Couts
Briere
X

I think gags returns, and where do talbot and rinaldo slot?

Talbot and rinaldo should ideally be on the 4th line. And do you really want Briere anywhere near this team next season? He has been absolutely awful. He should be bought out the very first second we are able to. And gagne hasn't been signed yet so it is not a sure thing that he will be back

Edit: I would also like Holmgren to get bigger players for the wings but he did that for one season then he traded one of those wingers and didn't resign the other. Matt read is also a very versatile player who can play any position in any situation. Those kinds of players are very valuable to have for a cup run. I'm not saying I absolutely would not trade him but we better have a good return and a replacement for him in the top 9

Last edited:

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Blue fans think they might have to move a forward after they get their RFA's signed to new deals. We could target Perron, Oshie or Chris Stewart from them if they need to move some salary.

Of course Bobby Ryan will be brought up in the Flyers offseason rumors.

I wouldn't mind trying to get Perron away from the Blues. Only downside he had concussion problems in the past, but has played every game this year. I would much rather target Oshie, but he probably won't be traded.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Blue fans think they might have to move a forward after they get their RFA's signed to new deals. We could target Perron, Oshie or Chris Stewart from them if they need to move some salary.

Of course Bobby Ryan will be brought up in the Flyers offseason rumors.

I wouldn't mind trying to get Perron away from the Blues. Only downside he had concussion problems in the past, but has played every game this year. I would much rather target Oshie, but he probably won't be traded.

I'd be all over TJ Oshie coming here. He'd look good on the second line with Schenn and Simmonds or Read.

Hartnell-G-Voracek
Simmonds-Schenn-Oshie
Gagne-Couturier-Read
Rinaldo-Laughton-Talbot

EDIT: We'd probably have to give up one of those guys to get him though. :(

Last edited:

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I'd be all over TJ Oshie coming here. He'd look good on the second line with Schenn and Simmonds or Read.

Hartnell-G-Voracek
Simmonds-Schenn-Oshie
Gagne-Couturier-Read
Rinaldo-Laughton-Talbot

Now, what would be the price? It would be pretty steep. Blue fans love Oshie, and he plays a game the Flyers love as well. It's difficult to see what we would be willing to offer up though. If they are looking for cheap forwards back maybe Read, but he might not get it done. Read does produce(point wise) like Oshie though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->