Matt Read (thread started in 2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanSciver

May 27, 2011
The biggest problem with Pannacio's article! Read is Canadian born. He's not American.

Flyerfan808

Apr 28, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Read is certainly making a strong case for himself. I think if the does make the team he needs to make it as a top 9 forward. If he doesn't beat Nodl on the:

XXXX - Schenn - Simmonds

Line, then I'd rather him spend more time in the AHL than waste away as a 4th line or 13th forward.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
The biggest problem with Pannacio's article! Read is Canadian born. He's not American.

I was wondering about that. When Philly played in Toronto there were a few fans with Read sweaters outside the ACC. I thought maybe Read was from western New York or something.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
I was wondering about that. When Philly played in Toronto there were a few fans with Read sweaters outside the ACC. I thought maybe Read was from western New York or something.

He was born in Ilderton Ontario. And he will be a top nine forward on this team unless he falls flat on his face.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Read is doing well so far in camp, but as someone already said i dont care how he looks now, its how hes looking in Jan and Feb when hes been smacked around by forwards and defenseman who are bigger then whats he used to playing against.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Yeah, but many here are sounding pretty unrealistic. Reading a lot of peoples' posts, you'd think he's a shoe-in for the top 6 all season.

Eh. I think he will play in the top 9 not 6. That being said, we were told we were unrealistic with him making the team. Now it looks like a sure thing. I dont think him being tired over a 82 game season has anything to do with him playing in the top 6 though...

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Only thing worse than the overrating is everyone pointing it out at every turn. Read has looked very good this preseason and he has earned a chance to play.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't plan on getting excited until he shows he can keep up in the regular season for more than 10-15 games. Making the team is cool and all, but for all we know he'll go all Nodly on us as the season goes on.

I never said it was unrealistic for him to make the team. I just said "let's see him make it first." Now it looks like he's going to make it, and it's a matter of seeing if he can truly compete at the top level, or if he's going to need more time. I'm taking it one step at a time with the guy.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Wow, Tim pannaccio just continues to make me wonder why he has a job. Is it really possible to be a professional sports writer when you're that bad at writing? Should I apply for his job? I wrote a pretty mediocre essay on Macbeth in 6th grade...

PuckBoy33

Sep 3, 2010
one-timer on the power play!?!?!?!?

F'in incredible! I was sitting near the face off circle with my cousin. I always thought Jagr was a finesse player. When did he develop a blistering slapshot? :yo:

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

BleedOrange

BuildThroughTheDraft
Aug 14, 2005
Oshawa Ontario
Read Discussion Thread

PHILADELPHIA, PA -- A little over three months ago at Flyers Developmental Camp, Matt Read was the best player on the ice.

At the opening of Rookie Camp in early September, Matt Read was the best player on the ice.

After five preseason games and only two remaining, Matt Read is -- still -- the best player on the ice for the Philadelphia Flyers.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/phi110927.html

Matt Read will be on the opening day roster for sure no way he doesn't make this team if he doesn't something then is wrong...

Last edited by a moderator:

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
I'll certainly give credit where it is due. Homer can do some great things with very few draft picks. I know how there are many people who feel that the prospect cupboard is empty but I think it's quite well stocked and the future is looking fairly bright. From the little I got to see of Akeson, and Brown and what we already know about Harry Z and Read, I feel this years crop of undrafted signings are guys that all have decent upsides. We'll see how Manning does this year in the A, but he may have some upside as well.

I find it interesting that of the guys fighting for roster spots right now half were undrafted.

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
I'll certainly give credit where it is due. Homer can do some great things with very few draft picks. I know how there are many people who feel that the prospect cupboard is empty but I think it's quite well stocked and the future is looking fairly bright. From the little I got to see of Akeson, and Brown and what we already know about Harry Z and Read, I feel this years crop of undrafted signings are guys that all have decent upsides. We'll see how Manning does this year in the A, but he may have some upside as well.

I find it interesting that of the guys fighting for roster spots right now half were undrafted.

My thoughts exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->