Value of: Matt Murray

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yakupov + picks or Anton Slepyshev + Bogdan Yakimov or mix them around how you see fit . Might have to include the monster as a back up .

Edit . I am forgetting about expansion and we would lose him so scrap that offer . I am trying to build up the Oilers and not worry about expansion but this would cost us Murray or Talbot . Love to have both we would have a solid tandem for years to come

None of those pieces make an appealing offer for Murray. Yakimov or Slepyshev could be intriguing in smaller deals, but they don't have that kind of value.

Last edited:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
A non-elite goalie, no. An elite NHL ready goalie prospect, yes.

Absolutely not. Systems and teams can win with the majority of NHL goalies, unless it is a top or so, difference making goalie. You vastly over rate your goalie's trade value. A number of teams have at least one high potential goalie prospect or an already proven average or better goalie rendering Murray's value to them less than you imagine.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Absolutely not. Systems and teams can win with the majority of NHL goalies, unless it is a top or so, difference making goalie. You vastly over rate your goalie's trade value. A number of teams have at least one high potential goalie prospect or an already proven average or better goalie rendering Murray's value to them less than you imagine.

Okay then we'll just keep him. Easy enough, have a good day.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Under normal circumstances, the Pens would have to be presented with an overpayment to consider parting with Murray. So no, Yakupov (no thanks) with an assortment of C-grade players or picks wouldn't be that appealing to the Pens.

After all, expansion is the only reason they are even thinking about moving him when they could still win the Cup over the next few years.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Yakupov + picks or Anton Slepyshev + Bogdan Yakimov or mix them around how you see fit . Might have to include the monster as a back up .

Edit . I am forgetting about expansion and we would lose him so scrap that offer . I am trying to build up the Oilers and not worry about expansion but this would cost us Murray or Talbot . Love to have both we would have a solid tandem for years to come

That's a bad offer. Oilers would be in the same boat as the Pens since Talbot has a NMC. I am very satisfied with Talbot.

Implying that the Penguins would even remotely consider that offer :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, Murray will cost the Oilers Draisaitl if they wanted him, but like you said, I don't know why they would want him. Talbot is a starter.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ..... :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

:laugh: if you think the Penguins will accept anything less. Why should the Penguins trade Murray unless it's for an overpayment and not just a bunch of spare parts?

What do you think a Murray to Edmonton trade would look like? Because if you think it would be anything less than Draisaitl, I've got some bad news for you.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
:laugh: if you think the Penguins will accept anything less. Why should the Penguins trade Murray unless it's for an overpayment and not just a bunch of spare parts?

What do you think a Murray to Edmonton trade would look like? Because if you think it would be anything less than Draisaitl, I've got some bad news for you.
Goaltending (Murray) is not a need. It's a pointless offer. Why would we overpay for a position we do not have a need... we already did that with the Hall/Larsson trade... that one was a much needed trade... we lost the trade based on value of the players but the trade made the Oilers a much better team.

Murray for Draisaitl. :joker: :joker: :joker: :joker: :joker:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He's not a need. It's a pointless offer. Why would we overpay for a position we do not have a need... we already did that with the Hall/Larsson trade... than one was a much needed trade... we lost the trade based on value of the players but the trade made the Oilers a much better team.

Murray for Draisaitl. :joker: :joker: :joker: :joker: :joker:

So an Edmonton fan makes an offer for Murray that's way too low, so responding with what it would actually cost (because the Pens sure as hell aren't accepting spare parts like Yakupov and Yakimov) is :laugh: worthy? Interesting.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
So an Edmonton fan makes an offer for Murray that's way too low, so responding with what it would actually cost (because the Pens sure as hell aren't accepting spare parts like Yakupov and Yakimov) is :laugh: worthy? Interesting.

I agreed with you that the offer by the Oiler poster was bad. You laugh at him so I laugh at you... that's what happens when you make such a weak proposal. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I agreed with you that the offer by the Oiler poster was bad. You laugh at him so I laugh at you... that's what happens when you make such a weak proposal. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Let's make a hypothetical then, if Murray would be traded to Edmonton, what would he be traded there for? Or are you just going to keep sending :laugh:, if so I'm not even going to waste my time.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Let's make a hypothetical then, if Murray would be traded to Edmonton, what would he be traded there for? Or are you just going to keep sending :laugh:, if so I'm not even going to waste my time.

Let's just say this, if you think it should be Draisaitl then you and I are not going to be agreeing to any kind of a deal and I do not feel like frustrating myself trying to negotiate an agreement that will never be reached... especially when it is for a player that my team does not need. I am not saying Murray is not a good player, very high end prospect... he could be the next Schneider... he has proven to be very good in the AHL and had a very good start in the NHL. I feel Murray is one of the best goaltender prospects out there. I feel Draisaitl is one of the best very young centers in the NHL. C >>> G.

Also, I agree with many Pens posters that they have many options to solve the conundrum they are in. They will be keeping Murray and buying our Fleury as soon as the SC is handed out in June 2017. I do not believe any team is taking Fleury or making a trade for him.

One Pens poster said they would 'bribe' the LV GM not to take Murray... why would the LV GM do that for anything less than what the Penguins expect in a trade proposal for Murray... not going to happen... that GM has a job to do and is not interested in doing teams any favors of passing by valued assets, unless there is a fair value being exchanged... he likes his job.

The Pens will be keeping Murray and taking their $2M cap hit when they buy out Fleury.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
I think he'd bring back a premier asset. Franchise goalie potential.

Goalies are worth jockstraps. Either you can't trade him because he is your better starter or you get 20th plus 3rd in a trade.

In wild's case that means Kunin+3rd or something similar. (example, we don't need a goalie)

(And Draisaitl for Goalie? Bring the tar... Somebody needs to read every goalie trade in NHL history)

Last 5 years, allstar trades:

Schneider: 9th OV pick (top price)

Halak: 4th round pick

Bobrovsky: 2nd+2x4th. Total value is probably late 1st.

Bishop: Conagher + 4th.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Buy Fleury out, that's good for every one.
PIT can protect Murray.
Fleury could earn even more money.
30 teams will be happy PIT lost 2M of cap space for 4 years.
Case closed :)

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I really don't think some people here know how NMCs and NTCs work. Fleury has already established his NTC for this year, that is done every year in July. If he wanted to force the Penguins to keep him, he would have had to do that already. It's not like the Pens would work out a deal with Dallas and he says "nah, I don't want to go there" and the trade is voided.

My best guess is that his NTC included bad teams like Toronto, Arizona, Edmonton and Vancouver, not any team that needs a starting goalie. I'm just interested to see if he put Vegas on his NTC, if he didn't he could be traded there next summer. The only situation where Murray gets traded is if someone offers a ridiculous package for him, thunk of what the Oilers offered for Schneider (2 prospects and 7th overall). Otherwise, the Pens will just trade Fleury.

All existing NTC in contracts are based on 30 teams. You can't just expand the teams on one side, contracts were not negotiated for that. The expansion is a special event, players might be allowed to waive the NTC/NMC only for the expansion after the season is over. How can players be forced to put Vegas on their NTC list, the team doesn't operate yet, it doesn't even have a name nor a head coach. Players with NTC might not want to be traded to teams with bad coaching staffs.

The NTC/NMC rules for the expansion might be negotiated with the NHLPA in the next months.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It's almost impossible to find a franchise goalie, and I can count on one hand the number that are in the league today.

Murray was arguably the top goalie prospect in the world who set records in the A before his call up last season. This wasn't some guy that got hot at the right time. While he isn't a franchise goalie yet, he has all of the tools, especially the rare mental makeup he possesses.

When he was pulled for game five agt TB, it was utter BS and game four of that series was literally the only poor game he had until that point. Sullivan felt pressure to play MAF I'm sure, and that of course was a poor decision. Murray went back in under enormous pressure, in a can't lose situation, for game 6 and 7, and he won both.

Getting unfairly yanked on such a bright stage like that would be a mind**** for most young goalies, but Murray has always had a calm demeanor and you simply can't teach the kind of elite mental game he has.

That's why a Draisaitl for Murray swap isn't even close to tempting, despite the humorous jokes above over said value. Draisaitl is a nice looking pivot, but there is nothing about him that makes me want to see the Pens give up a potential franchise goalie for.

I honestly don't know what it would take for me to feel good about the Pens moving Murray, but Draisaitl is certainly not the name.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Stanley Cup winning goalie on ELC still Penguins would be idiots to keep MAF instead of him. His value would be high if he was for trade.

Yup

What have you done for me lately is the name of the game and this guy has done a lot and is much cheaper/younger.....MAF will be moved.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Goalies are worth jockstraps. Either you can't trade him because he is your better starter or you get 20th plus 3rd in a trade.

In wild's case that means Kunin+3rd or something similar. (example, we don't need a goalie)

(And Draisaitl for Goalie? Bring the tar... Somebody needs to read every goalie trade in NHL history)

Last 5 years, allstar trades:

Schneider: 9th OV pick (top price)

Halak: 4th round pick

Bobrovsky: 2nd+2x4th. Total value is probably late 1st.

Bishop: Conagher + 4th.

The only guy who's comparable is Schneider and he was older and didn't have as good of a pro track record. Bishop wasn't an established starter and was older, Halak was pretty much the same thing but a bit more established, Bobrovsky wasn't as established and had been up and down. Murray destroyed the AHL and has been lights out at the NHL level while winning a Stanley Cup, his value is through the roof. Only Carey Price is likely worth more.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
It's almost impossible to find a franchise goalie, and I can count on one hand the number that are in the league today.

Murray was arguably the top goalie prospect in the world who set records in the A before his call up last season. This wasn't some guy that got hot at the right time. While he isn't a franchise goalie yet, he has all of the tools, especially the rare mental makeup he possesses.

When he was pulled for game five agt TB, it was utter BS and game four of that series was literally the only poor game he had until that point. Sullivan felt pressure to play MAF I'm sure, and that of course was a poor decision. Murray went back in under enormous pressure, in a can't lose situation, for game 6 and 7, and he won both.

Getting unfairly yanked on such a bright stage like that would be a mind**** for most young goalies, but Murray has always had a calm demeanor and you simply can't teach the kind of elite mental game he has.

That's why a Draisaitl for Murray swap isn't even close to tempting, despite the humorous jokes above over said value. Draisaitl is a nice looking pivot, but there is nothing about him that makes me want to see the Pens give up a potential franchise goalie for.

I honestly don't know what it would take for me to feel good about the Pens moving Murray, but Draisaitl is certainly not the name.

Draisaitl is certainly in the realm of realistic value, that's a premier asset right there. Big young center who's been excellent at the world cup, the NHL, and has been a Memorial Cup MVP. Really i don't think either team does it, the Oilers have Talbot and the Penguins should keep Murray over another forward given what they have.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Not sure what you'd want from the Sabres but I'd be willing to give up Lehner, Baptiste/Bailey and a 1st

There is honestly nothing from the Sabres I would want in exchange for Murray. The closest thing would be Reinhart but that's not realistic.

Maybe MAF for Kane+Lehner?

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
If Pittsburgh decides to keep MAF what is the value of Matt Murray? What could the Penguins reasonably expect as a return?

75% of goals come from a league average 10.5 HSCA shots per game.

Cup winning teams have top 10 HSCA save% goalies.

Opinion; Def: Point of view not based on facts or Knowledge

Taking emotion and opinion out of it:
Canadian starting goalies HSCA save% performance last 3 years
min 1300 HSC Shot attempts.
#1 Price .889
———————- Tier 1
#2 Talbot .886
#4 Holtby .885
——————— tier 2
#6 Jones .881
#7 Elliott, Allen .880
#9 Crawford .878
#10 Bernier .874
#13 Fluery .871
#22 Mason; Scrivens .861
#24 Riemer .860
#25 Dubnyk .859
#29 Luongo .857

Canadian Matt Murray .892 had the 2nd best HSCA save% start to a career!

Depends on the number of HSCA system GM's looking for a Goalie.

Take toronto
they traded a 1st and 2nd for Anaheim worst HSCA save% goalie
Andersson #22 .861
and
then traded Bernier #10 HSCA save% goalie .874 for a 5th rounder to Anhiem

Make Bernier there best HSCA goalie ahead of Gibson #17 .870.

Clear proof of Gm's not understanding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad