Value of: Matt Murray

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Boston also didn't NEED to trade him. Pittsburgh has to get rid of a goalie before the trade deadline.

No they don't, that's just not true. The Pens don't need to trade Murray for pennies on the dollar, they'll either trade Murray for an obscene price or trade Fleury for a discounted price.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
We had other problems in our series, but our odds of making the SCF would have been so much better playing against MAF for the whole ECF.

The Penguins need to keep Murray.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't think Derrick Pouliot being a top 4 defenseman is an entirely safe assumption at this point. I don't think the Penguins currently have an ideal player to take over 2RD next year. Honestly I don't think it's possible to convince me otherwise. If I'm wrong, so be it; just let me wallow in my supposed ignorance.

And Honka being a top four defenseman is an entirely safe assumption at this point? They're both unproven prospects with relatively high ceilings.

The fact you think Honka's any more of a sure thing than Pouliot suggests you're doing so because Honka's your team's prospect and Pouliot isn't.

Again, I think it's a Murray thing and not a position thing. I think if someone was to offer up a right handed defenseman for Fluery for instance, I think it would probably be pretty well received.

Of course it would, because (most) Pens fans want Murray to be their goalie and are hoping the organization trades Fleury. So of course the reception to a "lower" price would be more positively received by Pens fans.

But that's kind of irrelevant to the discussion about whether Honka's a good enough upgrade over Pouliot, or a good enough return for Matt Murray. He's not, and he's not.

NickLidstrom

Ottawa & Detroit fan
Dec 1, 2013
Umeå
And Pittsburgh doesn't NEED to trade Murray.

This much is true.

I'm not saying they need to trade Murray, but other teams see the situation Pittsburgh is in and would be foolish not to use it in negotiations,whether its for MAF or Murray.

No they don't, that's just not true. The Pens don't need to trade Murray for pennies on the dollar, they'll either trade Murray for an obscene price or trade Fleury for a discounted price.

I never said they have to trade Murray. I said they have to get rid of a goalie. You saying trading MAF is an option is you agreeing with me.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not saying they need to trade Murray, but other teams see the situation Pittsburgh is in and would be foolish not to use it in negotiations,whether its for MAF or Murray.

And if someone tries to tell the Penguins that, they'll just hang up the phone on them. They're targeting the wrong goalie if they're trying to lowball for Murray.

I never said they have to trade Murray. I said they have to get rid of a goalie. You saying trading MAF is an option is you agreeing with me.

I meant they don't need to trade one by the deadline, they could trade one after the playoffs are done.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Vegas has to draft an avg cap hit of 1.46M per player to reach the 60% and the max avg cap hit is 2.43M. Why should Vegas waste 5.75M on a goalie when goalies are the least problem they have. Fleury wasn't even better than Johnson in Buffalo. Buy him out and enjoy his cap hit for 4 years.

Cmon now, you really don't believe that.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Based on? You're not exactly presenting any sort of evidence or argument other than simply stating "because I think so".

Okay, last post in the thread for me.

You know sometimes how you make a claim that seems so entirely obvious that you don't feel the need to justify it? This is one of those times.

But I'll be sure to watch Pouliot closely this year, hopefully he isn't healthy scratched so often again this year.

Have a good one.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
EVsave% .927 cap hit 5.75M birth 841128 Fleury
EVsave% .926 cap hit 1.30M birth 860610 Johnson

So you judge a player completely off of one single stat, not even all stats for a season, just one stat?

You think that's a good way to compare players? That we should ignore their entire body of work? That should we rank players based off of one stat from one single season?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Hilariously, before Murray became a big deal, I offered him to Toronto for Komarov and the majority of Leafs fans said no way. Lol.

I'd want a mid-high first and a blue chip LW with speed.

I think Murray has proved himself enough to be worth that.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008

You know sometimes how you make a claim that seems so entirely obvious that you don't feel the need to justify it? This is one of those times.

But I'll be sure to watch Pouliot closely this year, hopefully he isn't healthy scratched so often again this year.

Have a good one.

It's obvious that a player drafted 14th overall with zero NHL games under his belt is better than a player drafted 8th overall that's already played in the NHL playoffs?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's obvious that a player drafted 14th overall with zero NHL games under his belt is better than a player drafted 8th overall that's already played in the NHL playoffs?

Exactly, and even if you'd pull the "Pouliot was drafted too high" card, it doesn't matter because Pouliot would have most likely been taken around 12th overall at latest. I don't see any sort of big difference between them, and especially not to the "it's so obvious" point either.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Boston also didn't NEED to trade him. Pittsburgh has to get rid of a goalie before the trade deadline.

If plenty of teams would be interested, which they very much would be, I doubt it matters that we would be in a pressured situation. The bidding war would drive the price up.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
So you judge a player completely off of one single stat, not even all stats for a season, just one stat?

You think that's a good way to compare players? That we should ignore their entire body of work? That should we rank players based off of one stat from one single season?

I said Johnson in Buffalo, he was there only last season.
Fleury with a cap hit more than 4 times than Johnson's should be better on paper in EVsave% and not the same.
Could be Johnson had a good season and Fleury a bad season, but still I wouldn't want Fleury, wasted money.
And to be on topic, if I were McPhee and Fleury were exposed, I wouldn't draft him.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Actually, this isn't one of those times.

Asking you "do you honestly think Jamie Benn is better than Chris Kunitz" would be an example of one of those times. Or asking you "do you honestly think John Klingberg is more of a proven top four defenseman than Justin Schultz" would be another example of one of those times.

But we're talking about two offensive defensemen prospects, neither of which has solidified themselves as NHL regulars yet.

Have a good one.

Hopefully Honka plays in the NHL this year and not on the farm so I can see just how super awesome he apparently is.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Yakupov + picks or Anton Slepyshev + Bogdan Yakimov or mix them around how you see fit . Might have to include the monster as a back up .

Edit . I am forgetting about expansion and we would lose him so scrap that offer . I am trying to build up the Oilers and not worry about expansion but this would cost us Murray or Talbot . Love to have both we would have a solid tandem for years to come

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yakupov + picks or Anton Slepyshev + Bogdan Yakimov or mix them around how you see fit . Might have to include the monster as a back up .

Edit . I am forgetting about expansion and we would lose him so scrap that offer . I am trying to build up the Oilers and not worry about expansion but this would cost us Murray or Talbot . Love to have both we would have a solid tandem for years to come

Implying that the Penguins would even remotely consider that offer :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, Murray will cost the Oilers Draisaitl if they wanted him, but like you said, I don't know why they would want him. Talbot is a starter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad