Injury Report: Matt Murray is day-to-day - Head Injury

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Murray's cap hit, retained or not, becomes a real problem when we go to resign Samsonov while trying to keep the rest of the lineup competitive.
Any amount of money attributed to a complete band-aid who may or may not want to play is an anchor.
Worst case you buy him out, 687,500 in dead cap next year, and 2 million the following. Not the best scenario but if your going with Woll as the backup he only has a cap hit of 767k for the next 2 years.

I don't think moving him will be an issue though

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I was critical when we traded for him, but I ended up loving Murray. I'd be totally happy if he gets healthy and is ready to play next season. Him and Samsonov can be a good tandem again, and the cap-expert management types can figure out the numbers.

Woll is NHL quality. So we'd have a great problem by having too many good goalies.
Do we know Woll's waiver eligibility for next season?

Capfriendly says "Estimated waivers required beginning: 2023-24" but what does that mean exactly?

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Worst case you buy him out, 687,500 in dead cap next year, and 2 million the following. Not the best scenario but if your going with Woll as the backup he only has a cap hit of 767k for the next 2 years.

No way another team even looks at dealing for Murray unless we throw in massive sweeteners

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
No way another team even looks at dealing for Murray unless we throw in massive sweeteners

Why would it cost more to move him with one year of term remaining? Or more than say Mzarek?

Wouldn’t he have to accept a trade to these teams that would have interest?
IMO they’ll have to pay to move him

It might but I doubt it costs more than a middling asset. Mzarek cost about 12, draft spots, Murray himself a 3rd and 7th (with two years of term).

maskingagent

Oct 18, 2016
To all those that said he should retire, I agree. Murray has shown he no longer is a high level NHL goaltender. I don't care that he has 2 rings. He's not even a solid backup at this point. I'm sure he has retirement in the back of his mind too. I personally think he has no value left in the NHL either. I don't think any NHL GM would be that stupid to sign him. He's done and he should bow out of the sport now. He's been nothing but an embarrassment for Toronto. But the good thing that came out of this Murray saga pt. 3, was Joseph Woll.

Reactions: Drytoast

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Why would it cost more to move him with one year of term remaining? Or more than say Mzarek?

It might but I doubt it costs more than a middling asset. Mzarek cost about 12, draft spots, Murray himself a 3rd and 7th (with two years of term).
Mrazek also had 2 years left on his deal, Murray has one. And it only cost a handful of draft spots.

Some are clearly out of their element with valuation.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Even if the Leafs were to retain about 500-600k it would likely open up a number of suitors. There's always a couple teams that need a goalie and there's no term risk anymore

Reactions: LeafSteel

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Murray should have cost more than that, IMO.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Mrazek also had 2 years left on his deal, Murray has one. And it only cost a handful of draft spots.

Some are clearly out of their element with valuation.
Oh oh, I offended the Matt Murray fanclub lol.
Murray was on waivers last year, he's barely played this year...took a few draft spots to get out from under Mrazek's contract and it will take even more to get out from Murray's. No GM is out here doing Toronto favors, Mrazek to CHI made sense since they were tanking

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Fair enough, but he also has less term now. And will be owed less real dollars than Mzarek was when traded (with Ottawa having to cover 25% of his salary as well as caphit).
Toronto is on the hook for $6 million in salary (real dollars), Ottawa $2 million.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I don’t think the Leafs will have an issue moving Murray. When healthy, he’s been a solid goaltender for us.

That being said, I don’t expect him to be here at all next season. Samsonov and Woll are the goalies moving forward. Something not talked about is they’re 26 and 24 years of age…

Reactions: LeafSteel

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Because the "clique" needs to resort to lying and/or distorting the truth to make their narratives work?

Basically we are down to this because most of the ammo has been taken away.

Even presented with facts and irrefutable truth you are unable to acknowledge your perspective is flawed and misinformed. When did quantifiable facts become debatable?

His injury history becomes attractive to cap teams who are looking to spend to the cap but not spend real dollars, insurance pays if he is on LTIR.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
I am not sure who is "dumber".
Murray for risking his future sanity and health
or
Dubas for thinking he would risk the Leafs opportunity to win on Murray.

The only intelligence shown was by ( ah, ( swallow) Ottawa).

Reactions: Larcos_Unal

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I am not sure who is "dumber".
Murray for risking his future sanity and health
or
Dubas for thinking he would risk the Leafs opportunity to win on Murray.

The only intelligence shown was by ( ah, ( swallow) Ottawa).
Not sure about dumber but Dubas was crazy to put any sort of faith in Murray. One injury to Samsonov and the season would have been in jeopardy.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Fair enough, but he also has less term now. And will be owed less real dollars than Mzarek was when traded (with Ottawa having to cover 25% of his salary as well as caphit).

The less term might be balanced out by the more evidence that he can't stay remotely healthy.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I don’t think the Leafs will have an issue moving Murray. When healthy, he’s been a solid goaltender for us.

That being said, I don’t expect him to be here at all next season. Samsonov and Woll are the goalies moving forward. Something not talked about is they’re 26 and 24 years of age…
Has he been a solid goaltender ?

He has give up 4 goals or more last 6 or 7 games out of 10

Look at his losses. Against some very mediocre teams

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230413_084210_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230413_084210_Chrome.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Has he been a solid goaltender ?

He has give up 4 goals or more last 6 or 7 games out of 10

Look at his losses. Against some very mediocre teams
Anyone who thinks Murray has been remotely good needs their medication dose increased. He's trash and any had he been on any other team his numbers would be atrocious.

'lights out' lmao

1681390452705.png

Reactions: fahad203

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Oh oh, I offended the Matt Murray fanclub lol.
Murray was on waivers last year, he's barely played this year...took a few draft spots to get out from under Mrazek's contract and it will take even more to get out from Murray's. No GM is out here doing Toronto favors, Mrazek to CHI made sense since they were tanking
It's not the Matt Murray fan club, its the Dubas fan club. Only once Murray is moved in the off-season it will be a stroke of genius to get someone else to take him off our hands, while he is a Leaf than Matt Murray is awesome to them. They pulled the same crap with Mrazek last off-season and most recently with Sandin.

When Sandin was the only player Dubas had drafted to play on the Leafs we was viewed as a great young puck moving Dman who will be a top 4 for years, as soon as the trade was announced the same posters talked about how terrible Sandin was and how Dubas made a great move acquiring a 1st rounder and a journey man Dman (Gustafson is also awesome currently until he is gone in the off-season).

Reactions: Larcos_Unal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad